Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 AM

892 posts, read 3,160,306 times

Advertisements

I would not bet on clouds and rain for the next ten hours let alone ten days.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:59 AM

519 posts, read 981,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
Just checked the extended forcast. It calls for thunder, rain, clouds for the xt 12 days at least. That makes about 20 in a row! Time to call God and complain, or maybe my Cary, HOA! I keep hearing from the locals how weird the weather has been this past year. So far since I've arrived from Seattle, you have only had a handful of genuine nice weather days. Not complaining, just saying. And for the past 6 weeks or so, it has either rained, been thunder, or had severe weather warning about 75% of the time. This past winter it was freezing. I was told by you all, there would be at least 10 days per month I could expect to sunbath during the winter. Not so, it was overcast, or freezing almost every day.

My point? I love it here, but in all fairness, as someone who has traveled the word, lived in California and Hawaii, I think you all have over rated the weather here. Sure it's better then NY or Minnesota, but not as nice as advertised.

Now I know some of you won't bother to read the entire post and will comment and come back with how I'm attacking the heritage around here. That is not my intention. This is just my observation having lived here for 14 months now.

The weather can be nice here and when its nice, its damn nice, but I would say 7 of 10 days you either have severe weather, rain, overcast or its cold, or too hot and humid. The other 3 are darn nice.
I believe it to be a touch ignorant to compare your 14 months of living here to be people who have lived here much longer. I would take the criticism and accolades from someone who has lived here much longer than a recent transplant.

More to the point, if you went through the horrible drought we had here a couple years back, you would thank whatever supreme being (or just Mother Earth herself) for any rainfall we have now. Because when it gets to July/August/September and the area hasn't a decent rain shower in quite some time, you will be wishing that we had a good, wet spring that would be helping us out.

As I finish this post at 9:58 am, the clouds are parting and the sun is shining.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Hmmm it was sunny outside 5 min ago when I walked my garbage bin to the curb.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Thank you all for the laughter!

First of all...it isn't GOD that you complain to when the weather isn't what you would like. You must complain to MOTHER NATURE. You could try email but I'm not sure you'll get an answer.

Secondly...don't you know that this is SPRING and the flowers and plants NEED the rain?

Next, I'll tell YOU the same thing that I have always told my CHILDREN...YOU are not the center of the universe and the weather is not made for YOU. YOU cannot control the weather so learn to live with it and stop your whining!

And now...there is a saying in NC...if you don't like the weather or the temperature...wait 15 minutes...it usually changes!!!

Vicki

Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I knew there was something special about North Hills...it's blue skies and sunny here at the present

Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I was going to say, usually that means an afternoon thunderstorm. The thunderstorms tipically don't last all day and the sun does come out. I don't even live there, but from my obdervations of visiting there and watching the forecast, this is what I found. We have the same type of forecast in FL and this is what happens here. It may not even rain on your side of the town, but maybe raining 5 miles away. I'm sure there will be sun.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Cowboy,

I don't think any of us really want to be subjected to you sunbathing in the winter anyway so I don't think the weather has been a total loss.

FWIW, I think your characterization of past local weather is completely inaccurate. Likewise your interpretation of the 10 day weather forecast is equally disingenuous. Kind of par for the course with your posts, but then again I think your already lacking credibility suffered a fatal blow from your pig flu posts from which it is likely you will never fully recover.
You are wrong my friend. Read the OP carefully and I think all will agree with him. He has traveled the word extensively.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Just checked the extended forcast. It calls for thunder, rain, clouds for the xt 12 days at least. That makes about 20 in a row! Time to call God and complain, or maybe my Cary, HOA! I keep hearing from the locals how weird the weather has been this past year. So far since I've arrived from Seattle, you have only had a handful of genuine nice weather days. Not complaining, just saying. And for the past 6 weeks or so, it has either rained, been thunder, or had severe weather warning about 75% of the time. This past winter it was freezing. I was told by you all, there would be at least 10 days per month I could expect to sunbath during the winter. Not so, it was overcast, or freezing almost every day.
WOW! I was always told the weather in Seattle was worse than the weather in Portland. And I have to tell you, other than the hot, humid 90 plus days in the summer, Durham's weather beats Portland hands down. And I've been here about 22 months. You were freezing this past winter? Really? It does get cool here but to me it's nothing like that wet, cold of the PNW.

Quote:
My point? I love it here, but in all fairness, as someone who has traveled the word, lived in California and Hawaii, I think you all have over rated the weather here. Sure it's better then NY or Minnesota, but not as nice as advertised.
Are you looking for a refund? Because you know what they say about free advice.

Quote:
Now I know some of you won't bother to read the entire post and will comment and come back with how I'm attacking the heritage around here. That is not my intention. This is just my observation having lived here for 14 months now.

The weather can be nice here and when its nice, its damn nice, but I would say 7 of 10 days you either have severe weather, rain, overcast or its cold, or too hot and humid. The other 3 are darn nice.
I get what you are saying about the humidity. Even after being here almost 2 years, the humidity is hard to adjust too. But I noticed this spring doesn't seem as bad as last spring .... I think I'm acclaimating.

I still think a perfect sceanario for me would be 9 months in NC & the 3 summers months in the PNW. That would be heaven for me. But since I haven't won the lottery, I plan on working on acclaimating. Drinking lots of water in the spring & summer. Trying to get use to the heat & humidity in small doses. The first summer I stayed inside the whole time.... that did me no good on getting use to the climate.

Cowboy, have you been to the ocean here in March or April. It's awesome.... you can actually get in the water. Unlike the PNW.

But we certainly are not a Hawaii or Cali .... thus we don't have crazed housing prices either. Good luck getting acclaimated.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:53 AM

88 posts, read 401,800 times
Hey, just that much longer we don't have to turn the sprinklers on! Plus, it's a whole heck of a lot better than a draught, which is exactly what we were dealing with this time last year.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:44 AM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
The immature comments and responses here are simply amazing. Truth in advertising people! My humble and honest opinion is that the weather here is nice, MUCH nicer then many areas about the country and most certainly nicer then Seattle's where I came from. But my point was, that in MY OPINION, based on what I was told, it was over rated.

Now, some of you, as predicted, took this as the equivalent of my coming over to your home and calling you names to your face. Or attacking your culture. Ridiculous! and totally childish responses. The weather here is nice, but you do not get 2-3 weeks at a time of clear sky, level humidity, and temperatures in the 70-80s. I was told you get 8 months of "pool weather." I think 5-6 months is more accurate.

Does this mean I hate it here? Or wish I never moved here? No, it just means In MY OPINION the weather ideology being sold is a wee bit over stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary