U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2009, 07:12 PM

11 posts, read 13,118 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Durham 4 days ago and I can say the only thing I miss in the OC are my friends. We are excited to get to meet new people, try new restaurants and experience the southern lifestyle. We are looking for good mexican food like we had in Cali, but think with so many ex-Californians we will find someplace to suit our needs.

I am not going to miss the feeling of having to keep up with the Jones'. We are ready for a relaxed living experience and time to spend with each other rather than commuting or working our backsides off just to make ends meet.

P.S. Twoisbetter, Don Jose's/Ricardo's was still going strong as of two weeks ago! I was never really enamored with El Torito, but will hope to find a place like Juana Maria's!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:30 PM

610 posts, read 873,205 times
Well I am not from CA but love the state. Going to Ventura next week for a good part of August. Love the cool water of the Pacific. Love that you can sit on the beach in August and not Sweat just by lifting your arm to drink a beer. Going to visit some wineries going to see the angels play in anaheim, going to spend some time hiking up near Ojai.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:31 PM

18 posts, read 11,443 times
I was born and raised in Chula Vista, CA and have been living in Rock Springs, WY for the last 16 years. Lucky for me, I will retire in 12 years and plan on moving to the Raleigh area. I miss the ocean and the food, but that is about it. I know it sounds crazy but I have never even been to NC yet, just lots of research on the internet. I can't wait to come out and visit in a couple of years. I plan on a trip for each Season. Maybe NC will have In-Out Burgers by then ???

Old 08-01-2009, 02:49 PM

2,602 posts, read 3,903,056 times
"Keeping up with the Joneses" happens everywhere, not just in CA. It's a state of mind more than anything. To me that's not the same thing as keeping assets well-maintained and in good repair (home, car, etc.). One can go into debt in Durham just as one can in CA if one lives beyond their means and is unable to pay off credit/debts each month. There are areas in Raleigh, Cary, etc, etc where some families feel that pressure to keep up.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:53 AM

280 posts, read 687,850 times
As for "Keeping up with the Joneses", I think it has a lot to do with the type of people you choose to associate with. If you tend to make friends with shallow people, you'll get that wherever you go. I've been living in San Diego for a while now and haven't experienced that in any way. Most of the people I meet are extremely friendly and down to earth...many having come here from other states themselves for the same reasons we did. But even the locals have been warm and welcoming from my experience. I think you just have to stick with people and places that allow you to be yourself no matter where you live. Best wishes to you in Durham!

Old 08-13-2009, 03:36 AM

238 posts, read 594,290 times
I'm a SoCal Native (Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank area...) and miss parts of it a lot. I guess I miss the energy, our weekly trips to Disneyland, Star Wagons on random side streets, driving to Santa Barbara or Vegas on a whim, driving downtown to get cheap clothes on Santee, things staying open later than 9:00 and being able to get a latte at midnight, running into Gunnar Nelson at Jeri's Deli at 2:00 am, knowing Hollywood is there yet never going to see it...getting on the 210 west and knowing you wouldn't hit traffic Saying "the" before "fwy"...

And yes... walking on the grass barefoot (now I'm deathly afraid of wearing sandals after getting bites from those fire ants... ouch!).

I think the other thing that comes with living somewhere your whole life... you just get a gut feeling for whats over that mountain... if there's smoke in the air, you might know where it's coming from... you know that it'll take 20 minutes to get anywhere else you need to go (unless it's rush hour, but even then you probably know a short cut). You just feel more at ease if you're familiar with your surroundings... and having memories of growing up in those surroundings. Moving here, I love that it's so green, but the trees sort of put me in a daze and I get lost pretty easily...

I still think in terms of "20 minutes" if something is 10 miles or less away (I could get to Chatsworth in 20 minutes... thank you 118)... I need to start doubling that figure. 2-lane roads with deer and possums are a wee bit of a change and take longer to navigate than Hollywood and Highland.

I do have to point out though... we went back for a visit in May and it wasn't the same. It seemed dirtier, more crowded, uglier, smogier... you can tell that spirits are low because of the high employment rate, IOU's and water restrictions. Foothill Boulevard, my main drag, was littered with more "for lease" signs on business windows than I had ever seen before. We went to Disneyland and it was SO crowded. I guess all the unemployed people are hanging out at Splash Mountain

Before I forget... Re: El Torito...I miss the sour cream and chicken enchiladas, corn cakes and that caesar salad with the little pepito seeds (I have no idea what they are... I think Trader Joe's has them). Anyway... you can get copycat recipes online. I've made the enchiladas and corn cakes and they are really very good. Just a thought for those who miss them.

And Del Weinersnitzel?? Really? I'd rather have a good hot dog on a stick with a lemonade from the Glendale Galleria hehe! Oh, and I got in-n-out right after landing at LAX... it's good... but... I like five-guys better.

I do love the triangle... it's wonderful here. Everyone is so friendly, anything you'd need is here (or amazon.com is a click away), so much nature and things to explore... but even if I was from the middle of nowhere, I'd miss it That's just how it goes. But, if I had a few million dollars... hmmm.... that still wouldn't get me a house in Santa Barbara that's over 2000 square feet so it'll have to wait I've decided I'm not going back unless we can move to the central coast (spoiled brat) hehe.

So, when's the "California Dreamin'" meet-up folks??

Old 08-13-2009, 04:00 PM

606 posts, read 1,093,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
I'm a SoCal Native (Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank area...) and miss parts of it a lot. I guess I miss the energy, our weekly trips to Disneyland, Star Wagons on random side streets, driving to Santa Barbara or Vegas on a whim, driving downtown to get cheap clothes on Santee, things staying open later than 9:00 and being able to get a latte at midnight, running into Gunnar Nelson at Jeri's Deli at 2:00 am, knowing Hollywood is there yet never going to see it...getting on the 210 west and knowing you wouldn't hit traffic Saying "the" before "fwy"...

And yes... walking on the grass barefoot (now I'm deathly afraid of wearing sandals after getting bites from those fire ants... ouch!).

I think the other thing that comes with living somewhere your whole life... you just get a gut feeling for whats over that mountain... if there's smoke in the air, you might know where it's coming from... you know that it'll take 20 minutes to get anywhere else you need to go (unless it's rush hour, but even then you probably know a short cut). You just feel more at ease if you're familiar with your surroundings... and having memories of growing up in those surroundings. Moving here, I love that it's so green, but the trees sort of put me in a daze and I get lost pretty easily...

I still think in terms of "20 minutes" if something is 10 miles or less away (I could get to Chatsworth in 20 minutes... thank you 118)... I need to start doubling that figure. 2-lane roads with deer and possums are a wee bit of a change and take longer to navigate than Hollywood and Highland.

I do have to point out though... we went back for a visit in May and it wasn't the same. It seemed dirtier, more crowded, uglier, smogier... you can tell that spirits are low because of the high employment rate, IOU's and water restrictions. Foothill Boulevard, my main drag, was littered with more "for lease" signs on business windows than I had ever seen before. We went to Disneyland and it was SO crowded. I guess all the unemployed people are hanging out at Splash Mountain

Before I forget... Re: El Torito...I miss the sour cream and chicken enchiladas, corn cakes and that caesar salad with the little pepito seeds (I have no idea what they are... I think Trader Joe's has them). Anyway... you can get copycat recipes online. I've made the enchiladas and corn cakes and they are really very good. Just a thought for those who miss them.

And Del Weinersnitzel?? Really? I'd rather have a good hot dog on a stick with a lemonade from the Glendale Galleria hehe! Oh, and I got in-n-out right after landing at LAX... it's good... but... I like five-guys better.

I do love the triangle... it's wonderful here. Everyone is so friendly, anything you'd need is here (or amazon.com is a click away), so much nature and things to explore... but even if I was from the middle of nowhere, I'd miss it That's just how it goes. But, if I had a few million dollars... hmmm.... that still wouldn't get me a house in Santa Barbara that's over 2000 square feet so it'll have to wait I've decided I'm not going back unless we can move to the central coast (spoiled brat) hehe.

So, when's the "California Dreamin'" meet-up folks??
Your killin' me with the sour cream enchiladas & corn cake comment! And the green dressing...yum!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:37 PM

238 posts, read 594,290 times
Enchiladas:
El Torito Chicken Enchiladas Recipe @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!
(I admit, I haven't tried this one... but I made something similar)

Corn Cake:
RecipeSource: El Torito Sweet Corn Cake
(I have made these several times... makes every meal better!)

Cilantro Pepita dressing:
El Torito`s Mexican Caesar Salad Recipe #8875 @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!
(Haven't tried this either... but it looks pretty right... I used to buy the dressing at Ralph's... can't find it here, though)

Also, since moving, we've taken to making our salsa ourselves... you can pick out the freshest ingredients and make it as hot as you want... so you can play with it to get it just like how "su madre", Acapulco or Mijares in Pasadena used to make it

Hungry now.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:06 PM

14 posts, read 22,472 times
I was born and grew up in Glendale, I know all the places you guys are talking about. Makes me home sick in a way. Been here for 4 months now.I like it a lot . I miss my friends and the food, But have found some good food out here as well. Need to find more.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 PM

646 posts, read 1,311,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
Do you actually have a fire ant problem in your yard or is this just an irrational fear?

Really...I go bare foot all the time...and have never been bitten by a fire ant anywhere.

Yes, they are around...but if your are 'deathly' afraid of even wearing sandles...well....talk about over kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary