Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 PM

16 posts, read 139,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I don't know how to read that list. What is the consensus? Where would I get the best KBG to grow here? Lowes/Home Depot?

I am thinking of tilling up my fescue lawn, adding 3-6" of compost to till in, and replanting but I was unsure of what to grow.

I like the KBG attributes in that it repairs itself. Does it require more watering than fescue?

The higher the number then better the turf quality.

the consensus still out there for Fescue because it's what people here have been using for ages... But Bluegrass is slowly getting into people's lawns. And when I say slowly getting into people's lawns, that means as a monostand and not as a mix. Fescue and Bluegrass is what most lawns are comprised of in the Raleigh area, fewer 100% Bluegrass lawns, however.

The compost is great idea! The best screened soil I have ever seen is from American Soil and Mulch in Cary. They charge $18 per cubic yard, plust $45 for delivery. It's well worth it. I want to say it is better than the top soil you get in a bag at HomeDepot or Lowe's.

You can't buy "Elite" Kentucky Bluegrasses at Lowe's or HomeDepot, they sell the common types which are ok for light to medium shade areas, but those don't have the heat, drought, appearance, and performance of the Elite Kentucky Bluegrasses of today. You can mail order them for different places, www.turf-seed.com is one of them, or you can simply drive to Southern Seeds in Middlesex, NC and pick up a bag or The Best of the Blues; which has Midnight Star, Prosperity, and Moonlight.

As far as water requirements, I'll let you be the judge (look at the picture below) Fescue is at the bottom, Bluegrass is second, then Bluegrass/ryegrass, then Fescue again at the very top of the picture.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
The bluegrass looks good. My lawn is mostly shady, but neglected from the previous owner, and I'm deciding what to pant this fall. I think I'll try the Kentucky bluegrass.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:35 AM

Kentucky Bluegrass does NOT tolerate shade very well. Partial shade is more like it. So if you area is mostly shade, then Fine Fescue is your grass. A blend of Hard, Chewing, and Creeping Red Fescues is best.

You can find this blend at Southern Seeds: 1-800-682-1102. They're located about 35 miles east of Raleigh, in Middlesex, NC.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:32 AM

271 posts, read 700,543 times
Becareful with the Kentucky Blue Grass. It carries a very High Rate of Pollen

Old 05-08-2009, 07:53 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auteck View Post
Yeah, those 3 are the top performing Bluegrasses in the Raleigh area. However, it doesn't mean you're limited to those only.

My Bluegrass blend is Galaxy by Turf-Seed. It's comprised of Midnight II, Prosperity, and Moonlight.

Here's the website: www.turf-seed.com
Quote:
You can mail order them for different places, www.turf-seed.com is one of them, or you can simply drive to Southern Seeds in Middlesex, NC and pick up a bag or The Best of the Blues; which has Midnight Star, Prosperity, and Moonlight.
I emailed the contact on turf-seed.com, where did you buy the Galaxy blend? I want the one you have not the Best of the Blues, or is it the same thing?

thanks!

Nevermind found it here: http://www.seedland.com/mm5/merchant...ry_Code=GALAXY

$86 for 10 lbs, does that sound right?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Kentucky Bluegrass does NOT tolerate shade very well. Partial shade is more like it. So if you area is mostly shade, then Fine Fescue is your grass. A blend of Hard, Chewing, and Creeping Red Fescues is best.

You can find this blend at Southern Seeds: 1-800-682-1102. They're located about 35 miles east of Raleigh, in Middlesex, NC.

I should have said partly shady - every part of the lawn gets hours of sun a day, and a few parts sun all day, so I'm still looking at cool grasses. I may have some issues under trees, but I could put in bigger mulch beds.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 PM

The best of the blues is a good blend, it will cost you $3.50 per pound. Overseeding is 2 lbs per 1,000 sqf, and 4 lbs per 1,000 for a brand new lawn.

BTW, that price is very high. I paid about $54 for 10 lbs for my Galaxy blend at Turf-Seed.

NuGlade is also an excellent performer in the Raleigh area. Contact John Rector at Jaklin Seed:

Jacklin Seed, Turf Products, Ryegrass, Bentgrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, L-93 Creeping

NuGlade is really blue in color, more blue than green. Performed very well on the NTEP ratings for NC1.

Talk to John, he's VERY knowledgeable and can recommend a good blend for you with the NuGlade. Always a blend, the more types of bluegrasses the better. It's good practice to overseed in the Fall with the latest and best performing bluegrass of that year. My blend is about 5 years old, so there's better out there. However, it's a good blend for the Triangle area, too.

Partly shade is good enough for bluegrass.

One thing that is very critical, do not use big box stores crabgrass pre-emergent. Either use Dimension, or Ronstar. Ronstar is the best and the recommended one. The problem with the cheap big box store pre-emergents is that the prune the roots of the grass. Most crabgrass pre-emergents are root inhibitors, that's how the stop crabgrass seedlings from maturing. Ronstar does not prune roots, it kills crabs shoots/seedlings by its leaves and dies.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

auteck

Old 05-14-2009, 08:02 AM

OK I emailed Turf Seed, this is what they said:

Quote:
Thanks so much for you inquiry on seed blends for your area.

I would recommend to you two choices. Both of the blends below have tall fescue and bluegrasses in the blend and would be a nice addition to your yard.

• ShadyNook - a mixture of tall fescues developed in your area, heat tolerant bluegrass, Kentucky bluegrass, and fineleaf fescues.
  • Gold Standard Plus – a mixture of tall fescues developed in your area and heat tolerant bluegrass.

Either of these mixes would blend well with the yard you have and give you the addition of bluegrass you desire.

These can be purchased through Logan Trading Company or Burke Brothers in the Raleigh area.

Thanks again and I hope this is helpful.
Thoughts on their selection? I think they thought I was trying to blend in with my current grass and I didn't explain that I was planning on starting anew with just dirt.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 AM

I guess it depends on if you want to go with the blend they suggest or just fescue. You could clarify in a new email that you're putting down a new yard and see if they have other blue mixes they suggest.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:05 AM

That's what I did, we'll see what they say when they get back to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary