U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you get turned off by a non-neutral color on a wall?
Yes - where is the nearest exit so that I can run off!!! 9 10.84%
No - not let something like paint put me off a house I like. 45 54.22%
Maybe - depends if the seller will give me an allowance to get the house painted. 29 34.94%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 PM

3,465 posts, read 6,448,527 times

Advertisements

I'd expect to pay less for a house with very bold colors on the walls - because most of the time those houses sit on the market for a long time. Sure, other people may like "bold colors" - but how will you find buyers who like the same bold colors as you? Orange would be a pretty big turn off for me as well.

I looked at a house last year that had very strong colors included a really bright red dining room. The sellers even added a red table cloth, because you really can't have enough red, right? There were some other strong colors and some unfortunate wallpaper. The house sat and sat - finally they repainted the dining room and it went under contract shortly thereafter.

My current house has a honeydew melon green color in the master bedroom. It came out a bit more "green" than I expected but I really like it. When it comes time to sell I'm 99% sure I'll repaint it with something a bit more neutral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 11:04 PM

10,417 posts, read 18,055,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I'd expect to pay less for a house with very bold colors on the walls - because most of the time those houses sit on the market for a long time. Sure, other people may like "bold colors" - but how will you find buyers who like the same bold colors as you? Orange would be a pretty big turn off for me as well.

I looked at a house last year that had very strong colors included a really bright red dining room. The sellers even added a red table cloth, because you really can't have enough red, right? There were some other strong colors and some unfortunate wallpaper. The house sat and sat - finally they repainted the dining room and it went under contract shortly thereafter.

My current house has a honeydew melon green color in the master bedroom. It came out a bit more "green" than I expected but I really like it. When it comes time to sell I'm 99% sure I'll repaint it with something a bit more neutral.
EXACTLY the comments most of my buyers make!

I tell them...paint YOUR rooms any color YOU LIKE but when it is time to sell...I want NEUTRAL COLORS!

Be careful with the beige...some look pink and it seems that the single men just don't want pink walls!

Vicki

Old 05-10-2009, 12:51 AM
LLN

3,608 posts, read 4,472,578 times
Anyone that is to stupid to know they can paint my walls for less than $50 is too stupid to buy a house. If your whole package looks good, it is good.

lln

Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 AM

2,276 posts, read 3,984,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Anyone that is to stupid to know they can paint my walls for less than $50 is too stupid to buy a house. If your whole package looks good, it is good.

lln
I know I can paint for little money. The thing is, I *hate* painting, and professionals aren't all that cheap. Besides, moving is enough of a pain - I wouldn't want to add that to the list.

I don't know how an orange room would affect my decision to buy if I really loved the house. I've never been in that position (we built our house), and hope never to have to go househunting.

Your post is insulting to us who don't like to paint, and frankly, don't care for the idea of having to make immediate improvements. I'm not someone who loves home improvement projects.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:12 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,792,084 times
i might like the bold colors painted, and if i didn't, i'd give the owner points for creativity. i like to paint anyways, so no big deal...

Old 05-10-2009, 07:38 AM

19,747 posts, read 31,592,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

lln

Uh-h-h...
"Stupid" people, as defined above, very often get easily approved for home loans, and then go buy homes. Sometimes they are approved for very large loans and buy very large homes.
They may live with bland and neutral walls for a while, while deciding on paint selections, and they may decline a home that needs immediate paint work to be ready to move into.

The crux of the OP's question centers on getting the home sold.

Some folks are just put off by color, regardless of how easy others consider painting.
The seller who readily ignores mainstream market preferences to prospect for niche market buyers often shoulders significantly more risk than the seller who caters to "stupid" people with typical mainstream tastes.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 AM

511 posts, read 990,398 times
Paint it a neutral like shenandoah taupe at Benjamin Moore. Its a darker neutral. Shaker Beige is also good from BM. It doesn't have that pink under tint to it and it is a medium beige. The house I bought over 2 years ago had very bold colors throughout. The colors wern't bad, just didn't go with ANYTHING I owned. Every room clashed with my furniture choices. I didn't want do buy the house due to paint...we had to have the entire inside painted. My husband convinced me we could have the house painted....If we had been strapped for cash we would not have bought the house because painting an entire house does cost money. Instead we had the seller to pay all closing costs. The buyers agent explained to the seller that the walls needed to be painted, etc. They agreed. A lot of people may have pillows and furniture, and accent pieces that are bold in color and want neutral walls like me. I'm in my late twenties and most of my friends are the same way. It gives you the choice of changing your accent pillows, so forth....so you can keep changing style throughout the years. On the other hand, my mother always matches her wall color to her rug...so a bold painted room for her wouldn't work because it might not match her rug.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 AM

2,034 posts, read 2,862,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Coming from a Realtor (no, not an ignorant one either, ty Dude...

Most of the builders are no longer doing "builder beige" but are still sticking with neutral colors. There is a deeper warmer beige called Killim Beige by Sherwin Williams that is more of a buttery color. That color, contrasted with white trim really shows off a room.

The problem with doing any other colors is that buyers go into a home that is very personalized and immediately think that it isn't going to work for them. Yes, us Realtors (ignorant or not) do try to tell them that it is JUST paint and LESS THAN $30 PER GALLON. However, a buyer that is buying a home and doesn't paint himself and doesn't believe the Realtor who says you can hire a painter to paint just wants a "move in ready" home. Therefore, the buyer is going to turn and run (I see this EVERY DAY) or is going to take off money (and I do not mean a realistic amount) off the sales price.

I recently showed a house to a single male. Dining room was a pinkish beige and he refused to look any further into the house.

I showed a vacant house that had each and every room painted a bold color. It sat on the market for a very long time. No, my clients did not buy it. The Realtor that had it listed finally convinced the sellers to hire painters and re paint each room a very neutral color. I showed it AFTER it was painted and even I was amazed at the difference! So I can understand WHY we paint neutral colors that appeal to the MAJORITY.

I could tell you this over and over and maybe you have to see it to believe it BUT...a buyer will always prefer a home that is "move in ready" which means a NEUTRAL COLOR.

So, leave YOUR bold color choices on the walls that match YOUR rugs and YOUR furnishings and just be prepared to have your house sit on the market longer or have the offers be lower. No, please do not believe those of us that see it every day...believe some dude cuz I'm sure he knows more than any of us!!!

Vicki

Hey Vicki, I wasn't calling all Realtors ignorant, just some that aren't exactly up to speed. I have worked with more quality Realtors than not. I am 100% behind NOT painting in bold freaky colors. However, when builders design their models, they don't typically do white or builder's beige. There is a middle ground of certain shades of beige, tans, greens and yes, even some blues that make a place looks great, warm and inviting. One can make their home shine above the rest if it is tastefully painted and decorated. If completely neutral and bland was the best way to sell a home, then builders would not do what they currently do with the models and designers wouldn't be needed.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:20 AM

15,117 posts, read 8,511,257 times
I see Vicki's point and when we do list our home we are getting rid of the bolder colors in the house and painting with a warm, nuetral color...NOT builders beige or white.

I HATE blue, I also hate white and builders beige...I wouldn't not buy a house that had those color walls BUT I usually look on the MLS online listings and there have been houses I have passed by because there is just TOO much painting to do.

Yes, painting is easy and cheap but it's time-consuming and a pain for some people. Make the effort yourself and take that task off the "to-do" list for the buyer and you will have better luck with selling.

Though, I will say that I had an orange office and a red dining room in my last house and we had multiple offers on it within 6 days of hitting the MLS, but that was a different market.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:24 AM
LLN

3,608 posts, read 4,472,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire_F View Post
Your post is insulting to us who don't like to paint, and frankly, don't care for the idea of having to make immediate improvements. I'm not someone who loves home improvement projects.
Well, you made my point. If you are letting something you don't "like" to do, something as trivial as painting, exert such an influence on a $300K - $500K decision, well...that is just not rational.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary