U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:18 PM

21 posts, read 39,922 times
Default Safest areas within Chapel Hill/Raleigh?

What are the absolute safest areas within Chapel Hill and Raleigh? I am planning on moving to Raleigh-Durham for grad school, although am concerned regarding the recent shooting on the edge of Chapel Hill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 02:32 PM

646 posts, read 1,231,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanrow View Post
What are the absolute safest areas within Chapel Hill and Raleigh? I am planning on moving to Raleigh-Durham for grad school, although am concerned regarding the recent shooting on the edge of Chapel Hill.
There is NO way to answer your question. Random crime can happen anywhere. Domestic voilence can turn bloody anywhere.

I feel safe in almost all areas of Raleigh. Durham (yes, even Durham), Chapel Hill, Wake Forest (where I live) and every other town in the area.

The areas that aren't the best are going to be quite evident.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:39 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,097,651 times
I would say Cary, if you look at the stats. However, if you're looking at UNC, that would be a long and totally unnecessary commute as most areas in the Triangle are very safe. If you're looking at UNC, I'd say to stick with Chapel Hill and Carrboro for convenience. Plus I don't like Cary at all, but that's another conversation I guess. Like the PP said, a random bad thing can happen anywhere. Most of the Triangle would be totally safe!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 PM
mzd

111 posts, read 251,873 times
Quote:
What are the absolute safest areas within Chapel Hill and Raleigh?
Any place that's next to a doughnut shop, because that's where you'd find a lot of cops...

Seriously - as the other posters have mentioned, random crime can hit anywhere.

In Chapel Hill, the main police station is on MLK Blvd (ex-Airport Rd). There are a couple of apt complexes right next to it, or across from it. I imagine those would be fairly safe, as a criminal wouldn't normally want to ply his trade right in the cops' backyard. However, if s/he is high on crack or other drugs, all bets are off.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,559,735 times
Default Safe

I would say that if you are going to UNC then I would live in SW Durham off of HWY 54 somewhere. Close to shopping, eateries, grocery stores, etc. as well as being safe. I lived in Park Ridge Estates for about 2 years and it was a nice community. Be warned that apartments and townhomes have more car break ins but if you don't leave things visible you should be okay in that respect.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:03 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,599,046 times
Chapel Hill is by and large safe 'most everywhere. Don't let one random shooting scare you; there is a very small part of town that is "sktchy" but otherwise, Chapel Hill or Carrboro (many, many grad students live in Carrboro) are much more "safe" than they are "not safe". And forget Raleigh if you'll be in grad school in Chapel Hill; I made that commute for two years when I was in grad school (10 years ago when traffic and UNC parking were decidedly better than they are now) and it's NO fun.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:19 AM

9 posts, read 22,842 times
CARRBORO! Hands down!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 AM

130 posts, read 242,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Chapel Hill is by and large safe 'most everywhere. Don't let one random shooting scare you; there is a very small part of town that is "sktchy" but otherwise, Chapel Hill or Carrboro (many, many grad students live in Carrboro) are much more "safe" than they are "not safe". And forget Raleigh if you'll be in grad school in Chapel Hill; I made that commute for two years when I was in grad school (10 years ago when traffic and UNC parking were decidedly better than they are now) and it's NO fun.

What makes it "sktchy"?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:48 AM

8,112 posts, read 11,103,225 times
I am beginning to loathe all these "safety" threads from people considering this area. Says alot, I guess, about where people are coming from (and perhaps how little they understand or have researched our area).

Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 AM

2,034 posts, read 2,702,175 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, there seems to be a lot more crime happening in Chapel Hill. I think you may be better served in the very southern portion of Durham, northern parts of Cary, Morrisville or northern & western sections of Raleigh. IMO, Chapel Hill is really going downhill. They can't even hold the celebratory events they used to, because of all the crime. Don't let people with rose colored glasses trick you into thinking Chapel Hill is a safe area. It isn't L.A., but it isn't a place where I would feel comfortable either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary