Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 AM

29 posts, read 88,423 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I both work in Downtown Raleigh. We love Cary and we love new houses. We are in debates to get either Preston Village or Weldon Ridge in West Cary. Here are the cons and pros:

Preston:
1.Preston area is definely a nice location both for work and life.
2.Green Hope school destrict
but:
1.houses are older (neither of us is handy. we want low maintance)
2.price is a little steep for us. We are looking at $450k.

Weldon Ridge
1.offers the floorplan that we like and in our price range
2. New
But
1.it's a 30 min drive for both of us. Is that kinda stupid?
2.that area is relativly rural. Roads are not easy to drive. It could take 20mins to any where
3.schools are not well known as the Preston area.

What do you think about my two options? Your input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:03 AM

220 posts, read 863,984 times
I think Weldon Ridge. In Raleigh, just about anywhere is a 30 minute commute if you're in a neighborhood that you prefer. I think that area is also expanding; in my house hunting I've seen a lot of new stores, grocery shopping, etc. going up around there. Good luck with you decision.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:34 AM

3,380 posts, read 7,735,339 times
How much shorter of a commute is it from Preston Village? It isn't like the two neighborhoods are that far apart. Looks like you'd have pretty good access to 540 from either (and down the road have really good access from WR).

Agree with the above poster about all the new stuff popping up around Weldon Ridge. Plus you have easy access over to Streets of Southpoint.

I would not assume that new=low maintenance. If anything, new home and yard can be more work.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,650,179 times
That is truly a personal decision. What do you like to do on your time off? Where do you spend most of your time? West Cary is really expanding and you might have to wait a little for the shops and things like that, but it is on the way and I think it will be quite popular. So many things are planned in that area. Probably not much help, but I think either choice is a good one.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Thanks for your input. I just arrive in the area and have no idea how well the cary park-weldon ridge area is developing. To me the preston area looks really wonderful, and somewhat gives me a city feeling. However Weldon Ridge is beautiful but the surrounding area is really rural.

The driving difference between the two location is about 10-15mins saving to each of us if we live in Preston Village.

Anyone has some input regarding the schools? I know green hope is outstanding. How about the new school called Mills Park?

Thank you all.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:14 PM

137 posts, read 304,917 times
Mills Park is a brand new school. My daughter attended this year and had a great experience! The principal is excellent--very involved and always walking around and talking with the kids and parents. The teachers are good. I would go there over Green Hope.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:17 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,382,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindtwhite View Post
Thanks for your input. I just arrive in the area and have no idea how well the cary park-weldon ridge area is developing. To me the preston area looks really wonderful, and somewhat gives me a city feeling. However Weldon Ridge is beautiful but the surrounding area is really rural.

The driving difference between the two location is about 10-15mins saving to each of us if we live in Preston Village.

Anyone has some input regarding the schools? I know green hope is outstanding. How about the new school called Mills Park?

Thank you all.
I cannot answer about the schools but Preston is a wonderful area. I live very close by and love it here.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 PM

871 posts, read 3,010,909 times
I live in Preston Village, our house is 10 years old and has needed maintenance (especially some wood rot around windows). I am addicted to my vegetable gardening though and mowing doesn't bother me.

Would you consider a town home? There are a couple of gorgeous, never lived in units at Madison Place, right off the back of Preston Village, with full basements, spacious and well-detailed, we had a contingency offer in on one but couldn't sell our current home quick enough. It backs up to a buffer and is very peaceful. They just dropped prices another $10K, so they are now $319 (finished basement, end unit) and $299K (unfinished basement, next to end unit). SUPER location, kids live there for sure, and you get the bennies of the Carpenter Village walkways and pool. The units are on Anniston Way.

Check it out. No maintenance for you. We'd be there if we could sell this $619K house.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
I live in Preston Village, our house is 10 years old and has needed maintenance (especially some wood rot around windows). I am addicted to my vegetable gardening though and mowing doesn't bother me.

Would you consider a town home? There are a couple of gorgeous, never lived in units at Madison Place, right off the back of Preston Village, with full basements, spacious and well-detailed, we had a contingency offer in on one but couldn't sell our current home quick enough. It backs up to a buffer and is very peaceful. They just dropped prices another $10K, so they are now $319 (finished basement, end unit) and $299K (unfinished basement, next to end unit). SUPER location, kids live there for sure, and you get the bennies of the Carpenter Village walkways and pool. The units are on Anniston Way.

Check it out. No maintenance for you. We'd be there if we could sell this $619K house.

Thanks for the info. Yes, I'll difinitely check that place out. Although townhome is not what we planned to get, we will give a shot. Your house looks awesome. Too bad I cannot afford it .

Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 PM

3,380 posts, read 7,735,339 times
I'm a little surprised that the commute to downtown would be much different from the two. Have you actually timed it during the time of day you'd commute it, and if so, with what route? I would not rely on google map estimates. The routes they show are hokey. Heck, the maps don't even have a lot of the roads that now exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary