Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,147,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Gucci- It must be nice being a know it all after a few days in this Rally-Doorum- area.
yeah it turns out there's a whole world to learn from besides the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,039,687 times
Default reply

that really neat. I have never traveled or lived anywhere else. As far as how they do it in Mass, I hope to never find out.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:01 AM

1,074 posts, read 3,238,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
Well I was strongly considering moving to N. carolina. But if this is the mentality of the majority of the people than I thnk I will just stay here in California. Sure we have our problems but people dont walk around carrying their nra membership card and bragging about how they plan to kill everyone.
Never judge a state by the most vocal members of its internet message boards. Otherwise, you won't want to live anywhere. (And I agree, all the gun worship on this thread has made me a little sick to my stomach).

Old 05-23-2009, 04:35 AM

558 posts, read 816,433 times
OP, I think the triangle is a great place. As with any place, there will be crime (home invasions, assaults, etc.); however, I wouldn't worry about crime in the triangle being any worse than any other place really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
Never judge a state by the most vocal members of its internet message boards. Otherwise, you won't want to live anywhere. (And I agree, all the gun worship on this thread has made me a little sick to my stomach).
Sadly, I can empathize with you about the sick feeling you have in your stomach. I sincerely feel the same way when I hear the anti-gunners sound off.

What I've learned from reading this thread:

Practicality, as displayed by Traumanurse
Home invasions do occur. People are assaulted, raped, robbed and murdered. Traumanurse realized this and decided she didn't want to become a victim. Because of her mindset and her .357, she avoided becoming one.

Pretentiousness and Immaturity, as displayed by the anti-gunners
Because Traumanurse kept a gun for self defense, she was a weak, paranoid, irresponsible, warmongering, blood thirsty redneck who lived in fear and made people sick to their stomachs.

Fanaticism, as displayed by the anti-gunners
The anti-gun folks lived in such fear of guns that they would've rather seen Traumanurse raped, beaten and possibly murdered than for her to have defended herself with a gun (the horror!). Their philosophy is that had she been a compliant victim maybe the goblins would have gone easy on her.

Wow, just wow.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:34 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,385,834 times
Quote:
Very well said rockinmama. The rednecks that I know are salt of the earth. And I say redneck in a very respectful way. The ones that I know are darn proud to be who they are.
Yes, we are very proud. Wouldn't want to be any other way. FWIW, I do not own a gun though. However, I fully support the rights of those that do. It IS constitutional. I do not understand why liberals cannot understand how the constitution works and why they are so afraid of it. Law abiding citizens who purchase guns legally are not the problem. Criminals are the problem. Why on Earth do liberals have such love for criminals and hatred for our constitution?

Quote:
that really neat. I have never traveled or lived anywhere else. As far as how they do it in Mass, I hope to never find out.
I can guarantee you that you wouldn't want to find out. MA is no place for fine, intelligent and honest conservatives. I ran away as fast as I could.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:58 AM

820 posts, read 2,782,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeowner View Post
I am a woman, yes some woman like guns(sarahPalin) but I dont. There was no way I was going to live in a fortress and alter my way of thinking and living in order to move to this beautiful house despite the great deal........Something is different. I am just trying to understand what it is. I personally would not feel comfortable in a place with men or woman who all own guns and I would not knowingly want my son playing with someones kids when there is a gun in the home. I am one who thinks guns cause more proplems than they solve. I can't even kill a bug let alone a human.
Read cry884's post! This is a great area, and in the end you may or may not love it more than SoCal, but the level of gun ownership in the triangle is NOT going to affect that outcome. I can assure you that the comments in this thread whether anyone agrees with them in whole, part, or not at all are not indicative of most people living in the triangle.

You don't have to live in fear here in this area, it's great and while the level of crime has increased (as it has everywhere else) you can look at the reports. Crime will happen in every city or town. Of course some more than others. Firearms aren't anywhere near a requirement to live here, but some people feel more comfortable owning one, and those people would do so even if they lived in the White House. That isn't a knock on that view, my point is that people who are comfortable with guns will own them despite how low the crime rate is in their area. Then, there are people who own them for sport (hunting or target shooting). People who own them for either or both reasons exist everywhere, don't let a few posts on this message board paint you a picture of this area that is not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
This is a very good comment! I also want to say just the same, don't let a lot of the extremist like speech lead you to a negative opinion of those who exercise their right to own firearms. There are plenty of good, law abiding, compassionate people who live in the south and own firearms that don't revel in the possibility of being forced to use one to defend themselves or their family.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:34 AM

190 posts, read 1,074,412 times
[quote=rockinmomma;8940097]Wow... what a lot of opinions flying around (like bullets). Sooooo, if I read this right, if you own a firearm, don't lock your doors, expect to protect your family in your own home by way of force and do not have pity on those who would do you harm, you're an uneducated redneck warmonger.

I do personally lock my doors (in my home and my car, which is the reason they couldn't get my car door open in the first place), and would 100% of the time rather call the police than have to harm someone (I am a nurse after all, I try to help people, whether they deserve it or not)..... But, if calling the police is not an option, I will defend my home and my family in ANY way necessary... Thankfully, I have never had to use 'deadly force' and have survived 40 plus years without doing so. I totally respect the opinions of people who choose not to own guns, I wouldn't dream of forcing it on anyone, but I feel the same way about my right to bear arms.... I am an American, born and raised, and hope that I never lose that Constitutional right, because if the laws change, I will instantly become a criminal (because of my weapon, I will never give it up).... I have no record and have never been in trouble (unless you count the time when I was 10... nevermind....), and think it would be awful to break the law because of my because of my desire (and right) to own a gun.... My 4-1/2 cents.... let the flames begin, I am wearing my firesuit!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 AM

225 posts, read 573,222 times
I'm a liberal who was robbed last Tuesday (home invasion, I wasn't home, laptop stolen). This didn't happen in Hillsborough. I'm considering getting a firearm. For the record I've never been anti-gun, anyway.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:03 PM

519 posts, read 979,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Yes, we are very proud. Wouldn't want to be any other way. FWIW, I do not own a gun though. However, I fully support the rights of those that do. It IS constitutional. I do not understand why liberals cannot understand how the constitution works and why they are so afraid of it. Law abiding citizens who purchase guns legally are not the problem. Criminals are the problem. Why on Earth do liberals have such love for criminals and hatred for our constitution?
Please, teach me how the Constitution works... I guess the copy that I have right next to me doesn't work properly.

What I find amazing is how conservatives don't like to be painted by the same brush, but they don't mind doing it to liberals. I don't sit back and assume that a conservative is a certain way because he or she is a conservative. I have conversations with people. I don't disregard a person's opinion because they say they are a conservative. For someone to assume that he/she knows how I, or any other liberal, thinks is disrespectful.

Some of my best friends are conservatives. And on some issues, I am quite conservative. All I ask is that you don't assume you know what I believe because I label myself as a liberal.

Frankly, a conservative such as yourself who hates Big Brother, should have been appalled at President Bush for suspending parts of Article 1, Section 9 of the Constitution. You should be appalled at the wiretapping of law-abiding U.S. citizens. You should be appalled that some people deny equal rights to all U.S. citizens, regardless of their sexual orientation, due to the protections given to citizens by either the 14th Amendment, Section 1 or the 19th Amendment.

The Constitution is an amazing document. The Founding Fathers couldn't agree on everything (Jefferson and Adams argued even as they were elder statesman), so it makes sense to me that they wrote the Constitution in a way that made discussion and debate necessary to progress.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:10 PM

305 posts, read 711,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Yes, we are very proud. Wouldn't want to be any other way.
Wait a minute.
So... your a Cary Redneck?
I somehow have an extremely difficult time believing that.

What exactly is a Cary Redneck, anyway???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary