U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:16 PM
 
982 posts, read 2,145,252 times
Reputation: 770

Advertisements

I had a friend who used to let her cat roam into all the neighbors' yards and gardens and she couldn't understand why it was upsetting to her neighbors just because her cat used their vegetable garden as a cat litter box. TOTALLY GROSS!!

What makes it okay that some people let their pets run loose on neighbors' property, allowing them to contaminate vegetable gardens or flower gardens which people will be working in, using their hands?

You need to keep your pets in your own yard. Period. Aren't there leash laws where you live?

Goodness. If my neighbors let their dogs run loose, and I could walk outside into my yard and see a neighbor's dog in my yard, unexpectedly, I would be very disturbed.

Good luck.
Toodie

 
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
1,094 posts, read 2,167,046 times
Reputation: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I had a friend who used to let her cat roam into all the neighbors' yards and gardens and she couldn't understand why it was upsetting to her neighbors just because her cat used their vegetable garden as a cat litter box. TOTALLY GROSS!!

What makes it okay that some people let their pets run loose on neighbors' property, allowing them to contaminate vegetable gardens or flower gardens which people will be working in, using their hands?

You need to keep your pets in your own yard. Period. Aren't there leash laws where you live?

Goodness. If my neighbors let their dogs run loose, and I could walk outside into my yard and see a neighbor's dog in my yard, unexpectedly, I would be very disturbed.

Good luck.
Toodie
You didn't even read what the OP wrote. She didn't "let" her dog run loose, he got out ONE DAY and her neighbor called the police. Now, after her dog was restrained, she noticed her fence leaning, creating a space her dog can use to get into the neighbor's yard, due to her neighbor's tree leaning on it. To prevent her dog getting out again she needs to fix the fence, but her neighbor isn't exactly friendly and she doesn't think he will be open to the idea of pruning his tree so she can fix the fence.

Why did you post if you weren't going to bother to read what was said?
 
Old 05-14-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
160 posts, read 532,164 times
Reputation: 507
Your neighbor had the right to call the law, because your dog was in his yard illegally. However, it was foolish of him to do so, because it was unnecessary and stirred up acrimony.

Likewise, you have the right to remove any of the tree that is over your property, as J. Trent Hicks explained. However, that would be foolish because 1) It would be expensive, 2) It would leave an ugly mutilated tree that you would have to look at, and 3) It would engender more acrimony with your neighbor.

I would look for a solution that is 1) cheap, 2) practical, 3) improves relations with your neighbor.

The best option that comes to my mind is to cut off the tops of the fence planks that are being pushed over. Just cut the fence around the tree. This is what is done in historic gardens with big old trees. My neighborhood is very old, and the gardens are tourist attractions. The fences are built around the trees, and are cut to fit the trees. It is cheap, easy, and looks charming. Then you can line up the bottoms of the fence planks so that there are no gaps, and then the loose dog problem is solved.

It is sad to have a neighbor that you cannot be friendly with, but it is hell on earth to have a neighbor who is hopping mad at you. Don't let that happen. It will ruin your quality of life. It doesn't matter if he's at fault or not, be as nice to him as you can stand to be. It's worth it just to keep the peace.
 
Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Durham, NC
1,232 posts, read 3,408,359 times
Reputation: 604
I would simply say that just because someone dislikes dogs, does not make a person a grump. And, though I would be concerned about a one time event triggering a sudden neighborly hatred, I suspect the dog has done this more than just a few occasions. However, it could be the neighbor is simply a grump looking for any reason to lash out at someone. People like that certainly, and unfortunately, exist.

Nonetheless, keep the dog out of your neighbor's property (that includes yourself and any thing) unless invited.

Second, I would talk to your neighbor regardless of their disposition. People can be grumpy and stubborn, but discussing the issues first, then discussing a resolution is probably the best bet. You might find out that all the neighbor wants in life is peace, quiet, and a home that is not intruded upon. Do not intrude, and you may find all will be well. And you do not need to be great friends with your neighbor... just be neighborly.

Discuss the tree situation. Killing the tree is a stupid, inane suggestion. If the tree is on your neighbor's property and is doing damage to yours, take it up with your neighbor. Sure, that neighbor should be already sensitive to it, but like you with your dog, may not realize the impact it has on your life. If your neighbor is not open to resolving the issue if a simple trim would take care of the situation, take up legal means and sue for damages. However, if they only way to resolve the situation is to kill the tree, consider the quality of the tree; any benefits derived from the tree; and if there is a workaround like an adaptation of the fence before destroying something that presumably took years to grow (of course, if you must adapt your fence at a cost, take this, too, up with your neighbor and consider 'legal' action).

We can't always choose our neighbors. But it's important to communicate with them regardless of their personality (unless they become violent and you become concerned for your immediate safety). Half the frustration of situations like this is often as a result of self-imposed stress that comes from a fear of not communicating with people who we think should already be doing the right thing we set in our minds. Communication is definitely key. And communicating appropriately with the goal of creating an amicably win-win situation will do you well.
 
Old 05-14-2009, 06:11 PM
 
137 posts, read 494,914 times
Reputation: 110
You didn't even read what the OP wrote

Why did you post if you weren't going to bother to read what was said?


Sure seems like a VERY common theme in this thread!
 
Old 05-14-2009, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Durham, NC
1,232 posts, read 3,408,359 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhopkins View Post
You didn't even read what the OP wrote

Why did you post if you weren't going to bother to read what was said?


Sure seems like a VERY common theme in this thread!
Excuse me... ding dong... it's what she didn't say that I'm addressing. And, so, I've posted a broad response. Next time, try not to assume so much and add to the conversation rather than flame the community, and me, with derogatory comments.
 
Old 05-14-2009, 07:57 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 8,115,052 times
Reputation: 2747
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I had a friend who used to let her cat roam into all the neighbors' yards and
Don't even get me started on these morons or the BS about how dogs must be leashed but cats can roam free

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhopkins View Post
You didn't even read what the OP wrote

Why did you post if you weren't going to bother to read what was said?

Sure seems like a VERY common theme in this thread!
Try the entire site. yep.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Excuse me... ding dong... it's what she didn't say that I'm addressing. And, so, I've posted a broad response. Next time, try not to assume so much and add to the conversation rather than flame the community, and me, with derogatory comments.
Excuse you - "ding dong" - but the point was valid, and your response doesn't even make any sense. eg:

- why on Earth are you addressing what wasn't said
- nothing was "assumed" as you claim
- you weren't "flamed" but rather your post was simply (and accurately) pointed out as not addressing the OP.
 
Old 05-14-2009, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Durham, NC
1,232 posts, read 3,408,359 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Don't even get me started on these morons or the BS about how dogs must be leashed but cats can roam free



Try the entire site. yep.



Excuse you - "ding dong" - but the point was valid, and your response doesn't even make any sense. eg:

- why on Earth are you addressing what wasn't said
- nothing was "assumed" as you claim
- you weren't "flamed" but rather your post was simply (and accurately) pointed out as not addressing the OP.
Hey Genius, the assumption was the assertion c.h. made that me, and other responders in disagreement with some or all of the original posters statements, did not read or consider the op's original commentary. The addressing of what was not said is a choice anyone can make based on the possibilities of the case not presented or considered. The flame was that upon the community that they were incapable, too, of reading and considering the case and argument (apparently YOU feel the same about the community). I guess you couldn't figure that out on your own, so I hope that helps. Besides, I was not not being rude, hot shot. You and your fragmented one liners definitely were.

To the OP, I stand by what I indicated earlier. Regardless of your neighbor's attitude, it is vitally important that you continue to try and communicate with your neighbor about the issues. It's not always an easy endeavor, but with a positive win-win goal expressly communicated, with respect, even the most stubborn of neighbors can see that a compromise will benefit all. Else, you risk stooping to a level your neighbor may already have reached and a resolution will never come to fruition.
 
Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 AM
 
137 posts, read 494,914 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
Hey Genius, the assumption was the assertion c.h. made that me, and other responders in disagreement with some or all of the original posters statements, did not read or consider the op's original commentary. The addressing of what was not said is a choice anyone can make based on the possibilities of the case not presented or considered. The flame was that upon the community that they were incapable, too, of reading and considering the case and argument (apparently YOU feel the same about the community). I guess you couldn't figure that out on your own, so I hope that helps. Besides, I was not not being rude, hot shot. You and your fragmented one liners definitely were.

To the OP, I stand by what I indicated earlier. Regardless of your neighbor's attitude, it is vitally important that you continue to try and communicate with your neighbor about the issues. It's not always an easy endeavor, but with a positive win-win goal expressly communicated, with respect, even the most stubborn of neighbors can see that a compromise will benefit all. Else, you risk stooping to a level your neighbor may already have reached and a resolution will never come to fruition.
That's the problem DING DONG!!! The OP gave you a FACTUAL situation. You are arguing with FACTS. Now, none of us can possibly know if the facts as presented are accurate or not, that is the nature of this board! BUT you guys are arguing and making assumptions having nothing to do with the OP!

Is it that hard to read! The OP was not asking your opinions about dogs or cats in general. The OP was asking about how to deal with a very specific situation, dog got loose BECAUSE of JERK neighbor's tree leaning on fence. NO MORE, NO LESS! Anything else is just assumptions based on your own prejudices!
 
Old 05-15-2009, 11:39 AM
 
932 posts, read 2,731,719 times
Reputation: 786
I appreciate everyone's help and comments. My husband and I have discussed it and have a temporary fix for the fence. Hopefully this weekend they can talk and figure out a way to resolve the issue. My husband is pretty good at killing people with kindness.

As far as being neighborly...When we moved in we went over and introduced ourselves, I've trimmed hedges that are on our property line in the front yard, and my husband cuts parts of the neighbor's grass that's difficult for him to get to on his riding mower. My husband also offered to help him shovel snow. We're not intrusive, nor are we loud. I can't think of anything that would make us bad neighbors. I can't imagine someone would find it hard to approach us regarding anything. The man is a grump, period. IMHO, anyone that couldn't find the common courtesy to say hello to a 3 year old that waves and says Good Morning is a grump. I admit that I am not perfect, but I have been a good neighbor to this guy. If I had done something to deserve his nastiness, I would had said so in my OP. I really don't have a reason to lie to a bunch of folks online.

I understand people wanting to hear 2 sides of the story. I'd love to hear my neighbors side too. Maybe then I would understand why he called the police or animal control rather than talking to us or leaving a note, or something... I can tell you the facts:

1. His tree is leaning on our fence.
2. The planks near the tree have become loose enough for our puppy to get through.
3. Our puppy got through, he saw him and called either animal control or the police.

And like I said in my OP...our animals don't run at large. It happened once.

Also, we don't have a HOA. It would be very handy right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top