Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM

13 posts, read 31,107 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We anticipate moving to Raleigh next month. I'll be working in RTP - not sure about the other half yet. But I'll end up in downtown Raleigh most days for Krav Maga (only place it's taught). Kids are in college, so no worries about school. We don't want a yard, need a garage for sports toys, and like to live where we can walk to restaurants, coffee, etc.

Is Raleigh the only option for Urban living? Would Cary be a better commute? Does Cary have a downtown? I like Durham, but can't figure out how to continue my hobby/fitness regime if I'm that far from a school (Krav is painfully addictive).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:07 AM

757 posts, read 2,078,938 times
It sounds like you are describing Stone Creek Village Townhomes in Cary. You would be about 10 or 15 min from RTP, right next to the greenway, walking distance to grocery, coffee shops, restaurants. It is a great location in Cary and near preston country club. Downtown Raleigh maybe 15 minutes from here. It depends on what you are looking for. There are a lot of really neat condo's in downtown Raleigh. You can go to Raleigh Durham Apex Cary Chapel Hill North Carolina Real Estate Fonville Morisey Realty and put stone creek village into the search to see these. Cary is half way between Raleigh and RTP.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,655,595 times
I think you would like Raleigh better than Cary if you want to walk to restaurants and such. Cary does have a downtown (not a whole lot to it) but it isn't at all like Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill. I don't know what your budget might be, but being in downtown Raleigh is around $250 sq. ft. if you buy and can be a lot higher. There are some areas you can live in Cary that you can walk to (like a shopping center- but that would be about it) depending on what you rent/buy, but I don't think you'll find the downtown Cary area anything like Raleigh. Cary is a closer commute to RTP though.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:11 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,198,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
Cary does have a downtown
Seriously? Where?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,237,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Seriously? Where?
Here: Photo Tour of Downtown Cary

Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,198,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSTransplant View Post
Is Raleigh the only option for Urban living?
Even Raleigh isn't all that "urban" IMO.

Quote:
Would Cary be a better commute?
Depends what most of your travelling is - I would bring up google maps and you can see.

Quote:
Does Cary have a downtown?
No, not really.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:51 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
If you are interested in Walkability, the area between DT Raleigh and Cameron Village might be your best bet. But, it's an expensive area for housing. But, then again, expensive is all relative to what your current situation is. Some don't think it's expensive at all while others are shocked by the high prices.
There are many older homes in charming neighborhoods from which to choose. There are also luxury condos with garage parking & individually secured storage units in the garage for your sports equipment, etc. My condo at the Paramount in Glenwood South has that situation. There are also several infill townhouse projects with attached garages that are might also suit you well. The commute from this part of DT is really quite easy. When I work from the office, I commute to RTP via Wade Ave to I-40. I usually travel off rush hour and get to my site in less than 20 minutes. With rush hour, it typically adds up to 10 minutes to the drive.
I am rapidly approaching empty-nest age myself (though I don't have children) and can tell you that I really enjoy that part of town.
Good Luck.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:29 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,389,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
There are some areas you can live in Cary that you can walk to (like a shopping center- but that would be about it)
Actually, a previous poster mentioned Stone Creek Village. There is a lot more in that area that is walkable and bikeable than a shopping center. Pretty much everything you need is right in that general area.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:31 PM

13 posts, read 31,107 times
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to have a limited amount of time to find a place, this really helps.

rnc2mbfl, we're in our mid-40's. I think that makes us younger empty nesters, most of my friends with kids are a long way from it. We're also very laid back, casual, hole-in-the-wall-but-great restaurant types. Does that area still make sense?

For DT Raleigh, we don't need a lot of space, that helps with the total cost. Less house = less to clean + less temptation to buy "stuff" --> more time to play. And, while I loved being Mom, I'm definitely ready to play now, not take care of a house/yard/stuff.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSTransplant View Post
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to have a limited amount of time to find a place, this really helps.

rnc2mbfl, we're in our mid-40's. I think that makes us younger empty nesters, most of my friends with kids are a long way from it. We're also very laid back, casual, hole-in-the-wall-but-great restaurant types. Does that area still make sense?

For DT Raleigh, we don't need a lot of space, that helps with the total cost. Less house = less to clean + less temptation to buy "stuff" --> more time to play. And, while I loved being Mom, I'm definitely ready to play now, not take care of a house/yard/stuff.
I'm 46. I think you'd be fine in my hood. Good luck. There are great places to hang out that feel real instead of being a chain in the middle of a strip center parking lot.
Try The Rockford on the corner of Glenwood and North. It might just be the sort of hole in the wall that you describe. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary