Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:08 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson919 View Post
27609? Pretty much all of 27609 seems like a stable area to me. There are parts of 27604 I would avoid.
Yes, 27609 has some iffy areas for sure. I work in one of these areas.

There is one part where you have a beautiful neighborhood of single family houses, and then several apartment complexes as you get closer to Wake Forest Road. The area of Wake Forest Road near New Hope Church/Hardimont (where the Super Wal-mart is) has had some undesirable activity in the last few years, including a robbery at gunpoint in some check-cashing store (I think the clerk was shot), and a guy found dead in the middle of the road down the street from where I work. On the outside, the area seems fine, middle-class even. But there are a few undesirables that seem to cause some problems. It's not enough to scare me, but I chose not to live in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 05:10 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,395,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwmu View Post
Why are homes in zip code 27610 so cheap? Is the area really all that bad? The price range I can afford is only up to 150k and the homes in 27610 look to be very reasonable and very nice looking both inside and out.

When looking outside that zip code, the prices definitely go up.

So what is the deal? With everything looking so nice from the pictures I see, why are there a ton of homes on the market in this area at low prices?
'cuz people don't want to buy houses there.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 PM

153 posts, read 860,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwmu View Post
Why are homes in zip code 27610 so cheap? Is the area really all that bad? The price range I can afford is only up to 150k and the homes in 27610 look to be very reasonable and very nice looking both inside and out.

When looking outside that zip code, the prices definitely go up.

So what is the deal? With everything looking so nice from the pictures I see, why are there a ton of homes on the market in this area at low prices?
check out Knightdale, it is not far from 27610 and will have prices in your range, and it is a nice peaceful area.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:32 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svdxgrce View Post
b/c that is the worst area in raleigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis511 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Enough said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
by far...
There is a higher rate of crime compared to some areas in Raleigh among other things which make the property values lower, but it is certainly NOT the worst area of Raleigh and it has never been. As the revitalization of downtown Raleigh continues some of the worse areas are getting a face lift but anyone who thinks 27610 is the worst must not be a native and/or has somehow never been to certain other parts of the City.

Last edited by tlh1005; 05-26-2009 at 09:44 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,606 times
Default 27610

I am a firefighter in Raleigh and also grew up in 27610, so I have an inside scoop based on the type of calls that are run citywide. The most violent crime call that I hear seem to come out of station 19, 12, 11, or 3, which are zip codes 27616 (N. Capital Blvd near Triangle town Mall), 27610, 04 (Downtown & S. Capital) and 01 (Downtown). Stations 10, 16, and 17 also get there fair share, which are zips codes 27610 & 12 (near crabtree). However like someone has said before every area has its bad spots. I currently work out in Brier Creek (high class) and it definitely has its hot spots as does every fire station in raleigh. but some stations have more than others. But 27610 definitely has its highlights area and its hot spots. If I had to choose a zip to live in I would definitely choose 27610 personally. Anywhere downtown last, and downtown has some of your most valuable real estate. Have to look at more than prices, have to observe.

PS
I would lock my door everywhere in Raleigh.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 AM

47 posts, read 129,783 times
I live in a small neighborhood in 27604 (Trawick Downs) and have not had any major, personal, incidents in the 2 years we have been there. We have some great neighbors, my wife and I walk the neighborhood at night without any reason for concern (Of course we do have to dog with us ) There are friendly people and more kids than I thought when we first moved in. The only reason we would move is to change schools, because let's face it they are not that great. There are a few homes for sale in the neighborhood. Take a look at some crime reports for any area that you are interested in.

Triangle.com Crime map

iMAPS Wake county

Good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary