Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:54 PM

426 posts, read 1,486,592 times

Advertisements

The Cary YMCA is just a few miles down the road from us and we are interested in joining. Anyone a member? Pros/Cons?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 06:21 PM

271 posts, read 698,831 times
We are! My 3 yr Daughter goes to the 3-5 yr Nusery 3 times a week, In july we signed her up for 8 classes of Swimming, and in Sept she starts the Pre School. She loves going.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:50 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,580,498 times
I joined in February of this year and have been happy with it so far. I've just been doing the weight circuit and I really like the Fitlinxx system. I keep meaning to take some classes - just need to figure out how to work that into my schedule since I won't be working from home after Tuesday. The people are nice and the facilities are clean. The woman's locker room is quite larger and there are a few cardio pieces there for women who'd rather work out in a more private area. I've been going around 2-3pm in the afternoon when there's hardly anyone there so I'm a bit spoiled. The kids seem to enjoy the after school/trackout programs from what I can tell. I don't really see a downside, especially if you live close like I do.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:01 PM

3,500 posts, read 6,139,142 times
My husband and I have been members for over 5 years. I like that it doesn't have the "meat market" feel to it that a lot of gyms seem to have. My only complaint is the cardio balcony. The equipment isn't up-to-the-minute current, although it's fine. The entire cardio balcony is open to the gym below, so if there are kids playing basketball or the jump rope team practicing or an aerobics class or whatever, you get to hear it -- and gym accoustics aren't the best so it's pretty loud. Other than that, I love it. The staff is great, and the group classes are good too.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:38 AM

8 posts, read 35,328 times
The Cary YMCA is very nice if you have small children and is an expensive place if you simply want to walk in, work out and run back home for your shower. If you need a pool and all the frills besides gym equipment, you'll love the Y.

If you're looking for the in and out workout, I recommend the Fitness 19 that's located beside Lowe's Foods Supermarket at the corner of Cary Parkway and High House Road. There's no pool, no sauna, and no showers or perks - it's simply the machines I like to use for less than $20 per month.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:02 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,580,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slushy1975 View Post
If you're looking for the in and out workout, I recommend the Fitness 19 that's located beside Lowe's Foods Supermarket at the corner of Cary Parkway and High House Road. There's no pool, no sauna, and no showers or perks - it's simply the machines I like to use for less than $20 per month.
How long of a contract do you have to sign to get the $19/month rate?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:14 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,666,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaLakn View Post
The Cary YMCA is just a few miles down the road from us and we are interested in joining. Anyone a member? Pros/Cons?

TIA!
What are you looking to use it for? We were members for a year and I think it's a fantastic facility and was very impressed with the employees. The only thing I saw as a drawback was that the pool was packed in the summer on the weekend (which says a lot about how popular it is).

Old 05-17-2009, 09:34 AM

78 posts, read 160,168 times
It can be quite crowded, depending on time of day. If you think you'd use the Y at particular times, I'd recommend you visit the Y, and maybe even the areas there you are most interested in using, on several occasions during those time frames. That way, you can see how busy, or not busy, it would likely be when you planned to be there. If you tour on an "off time" it might look wonderful, but if you go when its packed and crowded, you might not be so inclined to want to be there. Good staff - good facility - just quite popular to say the least.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:42 AM

426 posts, read 1,486,592 times
Thanks for the opinions! The main attraction for us is the pool but we'll prob use the gym as well. We have a 5 and 3 year old + 1 due in November. I am a stay at home mom, my Dh hours are flexible and Y is actually closer than I thought, less than 1.5 m, so Id definately use it during the week.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:26 AM

107 posts, read 310,905 times
I was on the fence about the Y since I was looking for more of an in and out but I just found out the my son's afterschool program is run by the Y and the discount alone per month for members vs. nonmembers is worth the membership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary