U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 10,318,206 times
Quote:
I have met more than one family that came here with no job(s) lined up, where the breadwinner somehow thought they would get a job because employers were Just Waiting for a Brilliant Transplant, because the Transplant would be so Superior to anyone down here already. What a mistake!
Believe me, those of us who grew up here have been exposed to this "Northern arrogance" for our whole lives. Yeah, "Let's move down and show those hicks what a smart person is REALLY like! And they'll all be so grateful to us for raising the 'culture' level of the area!" is undoubtedly at least lurking beneath the surface for a few who must think they will "Wow" the employers with their brilliance and their New England or New Jersey accents. Just within the past few weeks, someone in this very forum said something like "now that there are a lot of transplants, there is finally starting to be some culture in [whatever town]".

Cause ya know, anybody actually FROM North Carolina don't know nothin'! (*spits a wad of tobacco*)

I guess there may be some (transplanted) managers who may go for that sort of thing, but interviewing here with that attitude and chip on your shoulder against the locals will more often HINDER you in your quest for work, regardless of resume' qualifications.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:17 PM

2,392 posts, read 3,254,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
Who is saying everything will work out? They way I look at it is if you are out of work and need to start over, it may be a great time to evaluate what is really important to you in life. It may be a good time to move to (insert location) and start your life over. There are no guarantees anywhere, except for guaranteeing yourself the same old same old every single day that you don't make a different decision. It doesn't have to cost a lot to move in a lot of cases, so if you are out of work with no prospects, then it certainly can be a doable thing to move. The decision on where to move does not have to and should not be based soley on who has the lowest unemployment rate. The decision should be based on how will you enjoy your life where you are going. Do you like the weather, people, location, character and so on. IMO, the employment numbers would rank very far down the list as numbers fluctate all the time. Chasing the dollar leads to unhappiness in the end.
But why spend more money to move somewhere when you don't have a job lined up? That makes no sense. The happiness of moving somewhere new will quickly wear off when reality sets in and you realize you spent $2,500 moving when you could have used that money to live on instead of coming here with no job. That approach doesn't necessarily strike me as appropriate.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:20 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,112,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
But why spend more money to move somewhere when you don't have a job lined up? That makes no sense. The happiness of moving somewhere new will quickly wear off when reality sets in and you realize you spent $2,500 moving when you could have used that money to live on instead of coming here with no job. That approach doesn't necessarily strike me as appropriate.
Word.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 PM

69 posts, read 96,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
But why spend more money to move somewhere when you don't have a job lined up?
As I said, because there are many more important things in life than just money. Jobs come and go. People chase the jobs too much. I think it wise to live where you prefer to live and enjoy life. I would never, under any circumstances, relocate from where I live simply because of a job. If I lived in Detroit and knew I could never get a job then maybe I would think different. This is not Detroit. You can easily move for less than $1500, if you do it yourself. Less if you don't have much. A job is a job is a job. As far as I know, every city has them. But does every city have what someone wants in their life? I think everyone should take advantage of every opportunity to do what will make them happy in life. The door closing on your job may just be the push you need to go through the open door to relocating to an area you truly want to be.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 PM

6,061 posts, read 9,031,820 times
In another thread, a recent college graduate with a degree in marketing wanted to come down here without a job and take a retail job until something more appropriate came along. He was encouraged to come. That's nuts.

If a person has spent the $$$ and time on a degree in marketing, one would assume that he or she would enjoy a career in marketing.

If there is high unemployment, there are FAR FEWER CHANCES to explore marketing OR ANY new and different career fields or life experiences.

You say you can move for $1700? It took me a WHOLE LOT MORE than that to move here 16 years ago from the North. There are all ages and types of people on this board. Their mileage may vary -- greatly.

If you do not have a decent-paying job (or any job), you cannot ENJOY the opportunities a new area offers.

And for MOST people, is it NOT TRUE that "a job is a job is a job." MOST people try to spend those 40+ hours a week doing something that they ENJOY, whether or not it brings them financial riches.

Everyone knows money doesn't buy happiness. But the REALITY is that it pays for food, clothing, and shelter, and those things come in mighty handy.

If you've made the decision to make a move, it's simply a smart thing to do to move to a place where you can find jobs to pay your expenses so you can enjoy your life -- whether it's vacationing at a high-priced hotel at the beach OR communing with nature during a free hike in the woods.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-22-2009 at 01:43 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 PM

8,483 posts, read 15,444,639 times
No job/money may limit your living choices to the rescue mission or Salvation Army.

The safety net here has big holes.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM

9,066 posts, read 18,354,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
In another thread, a recent college graduate with a degree in marketing wanted to come down here without a job and take a retail job until something more appropriate came along. He was encouraged to come. That's nuts.
I don't mean to offend you, but your comment seems a bit out of touch. You seem to be painting all potential transplants with the same brush. Now, would I move here if I had no job but had a wife, three kids, a dog to support and enough belongings to necessitate paying $5,000 for a professional move? Heck no! However, I think a young college grad has a lot less risk to consider when making such a move especially when they are moving from such an economically depressed state as Michigan.

When I graduated from college I moved from NJ to Richmond, VA with nothing more than a Bronco II filled with a few boxes of clothes, dishes, TV, and a computer. It cost me about $50 in gas money to move. Recent college grads usually aren't burdened with the need to spend $1,000's of dollars paying professional movers since often times they have no furniture to move.

A young college grad doesn't have the cost of supporting a family to consider and is better positioned to live off a meager income from waiting tables or bartending and renting a 1 bedroom apartment for $500-$600 a month while they pound the pavement looking for a better career opportunity. The combination of youth, education, and ambition are more than enough to get by on for many. Some even enjoy the adventure of the challenge.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:55 PM

4,731 posts, read 3,499,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
You can easily move for less than $1500, if you do it yourself. Less if you don't have much.
I'd be curious to see your budget. A quick check of u-haul's web site for a move from NJ to here is $1K before taxes for the cheapest option, and that's not including gas. I'd like to see how far you'll get on the remaining $350 or so. Don't forget to figure out how to get your car down here along with you, take care of utilities (turn off at the old place, turn on here - which requires a deposit if you don't have a local history), deposit on the new place to live, various nuisance fees like car registration and driver's license, and so on.

ETA - Yeah, the NJ thing is a stereotype, but it's not like a move from the west coast is going to be any cheaper.

Last edited by KCfromNC; 05-22-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM

6,061 posts, read 9,031,820 times
Many college graduates have to pay back college loans, pay rent and eat. With no job, then what?

I don't think too many people, regardless of age, are up for such an "adventure." In Michigan, they are finding such adventures not so much fun.

It simply makes sense for anyone looking for a job to go where the jobs are.

Dear sweet NRG, with whom I rarely disagree, your comment is out of touch. Conditions have changed drastically since your move. Before I moved here, I had five interviews lined up and a couple of job offers. The world has changed. (And it has very recently changed.)

It's just sad to give a college grad or anyone advice to come here without a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't mean to offend you, but your comment seems a bit out of touch. You seem to be painting all potential transplants with the same brush. Now, would I move here if I had no job but had a wife, three kids, a dog to support and enough belongings to necessitate paying $5,000 for a professional move? Heck no! However, I think a young college grad has a lot less risk to consider when making such a move especially when they are moving from such an economically depressed state as Michigan.

When I graduated from college I moved from NJ to Richmond, VA with nothing more than a Bronco II filled with a few boxes of clothes, dishes, TV, and a computer. It cost me about $50 in gas money to move. Recent college grads usually aren't burdened with the need to spend $1,000's of dollars paying professional movers since often times they have no furniture to move.

A young college grad doesn't have the cost of supporting a family to consider and is better positioned to live off a meager income from waiting tables or bartending and renting a 1 bedroom apartment for $500-$600 a month while they pound the pavement looking for a better career opportunity. The combination of youth, education, and ambition are more than enough to get by on for many. Some even enjoy the adventure of the challenge.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 05-22-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 02:05 PM

2,392 posts, read 3,254,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

This isn't the good ole 1990s where a young, fresh out of college person could live on a service industry job, ambition and adventure. This is 2009 where even the retail and service industry jobs are few and bills like student loans, car notes, insurance, food, gas and rent must be paid and they cost more than some might expect.

It is more prudent for those fresh out of college grads to line-up the job of their choice before moving somewhere with the 'hope' that something will come open in the field they're interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary