Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times

Advertisements

I think the same logic can be applied to other things...

"Don't you dare get up in the morning... unless you have a job."

Old 05-21-2009, 03:40 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
I think it is quite simple. Anti growth people trying to make potential transplants fearful of moving here, using whatever reasoning they can come up with. If it wasn't the economy it would be something else. I think it is just a weapon used to protect what someone else thinks they may lose if another person moves here after they did the same thing. It would be one thing if someones asks if they would be alright moving here without a job, but that is not always the case. I have seen this and many other scare tactics from anti growth people. I say that you should do whatever you want to do in life and don't be afraid to take a chance. Life is way too short to live inside a protective shell and never realize your dreams. That said, I also would never suggest that anyone think they will 100% get a job quick anywhere in any economy, good or bad. Always make sure you have reserves or a plan.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
It's silly because of the fact that in most cases the person isn't even mentioning if they need a job or have one lined up or not. It is always an add on comment like the person is a dunce or something.
As one who often makes that statement, I NEVER say it if they indicate that they are coming due to a job transfer or recent hire here, or even if they have some interviews set up. But, there are still plenty who say "We want to move to your area; once we decide where to live, we will look for jobs" or similar. And, like it or not, there is still a misconception "out there" that jobs grow on trees here, ripe for the picking, which may have been true a few years ago but the word hasn't gotten out that we're having layoffs and hiring freezes here, too, and that in fact, the unemployment growth in this area is among the higher in the country. Bad enough for folks who've lived here working the same job for 20 years to find themselves laid off, but then to have 3x the competition for jobs just because folks all over the country think the Triangle is an employment bonanza and are flooding the application banks.

People NEED to be aware of that if they think they are going to find a job the day they move here, sorry. Part of the severe unemployment upswing in the first place is the crop of newcomers who've been disappointed that the picture they envisioned was more rosy than reality; I think it's better to let people know that then have them get here with unrealistic expectations. Again, I personally (not that I really owe you an explanation) never mention this statement to someone who has indicated in their post that they already have something lined up.

If *I* were moving somewhere expecting the job market to be bountiful, I'd sure hope someone would clue me in before I moved across country, only to find long unemployment lines there, which would at least make my choice to move more of an informed one.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:45 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
[*]You are retired and don't need a job.[*]You have built up a large nest egg and don't need a job right away.[*]You sold a house for a lot of money elsewhere and are moving here with your bankroll.[*]You are already out of work and cannot find employment where you are.

These are straight to the point good reasons. In fact, I would move to the Raleigh area if I was in any one of these 4 situations. Especially #4. I figure, if I became unemployed why look for a job in the city that I want to move away from. I might as well start looking for a job in Raleigh.

Also, if I was to be unemployed and looking, I would much rather be in Raleigh where I would actually like to live and enjoy being, than Miami.

But for now, being that I do not have a large bankroll and employed, I will stay put for a while.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:57 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Francois,

I totally agree with your comments. In fact, being that I try to keep up with stats, as of 2-3 months ago, the RDU area had something like an 8.5% unemployment rate. I think it is a little higher now, not sure. In fact the unemployment rate in Raleigh is actually higher than Miami.

As much as I like Raleigh and would eventually like to move to the area, those are statistics that cannot be ignored. Especially when I have a job in my field in Miami. It would not be prudent for me to just pack and go move to Raleigh hoping to find a decent job in 2-3 months. I would only do that if I had a large Bankroll and at least 1 year of my expenses and spending money socked away.

One other little factor why it may not be wise to move from Miami now; the real estate market has tanked here and it isn't a good time for me to sell. With that being said, if I had a large bankroll I would move to Raleigh with a job, no job, bad real estate market in Miami, whatever. Sometimes you have to go where you feel you are happy at the expense of giving something up. It is a tradeoff. But even that has its limits.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 AM

69 posts, read 156,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
As one who often makes that statement, I NEVER say it if they indicate that they are coming due to a job transfer or recent hire here, or even if they have some interviews set up. But, there are still plenty who say "We want to move to your area; once we decide where to live, we will look for jobs" or similar. And, like it or not, there is still a misconception "out there" that jobs grow on trees here, ripe for the picking, which may have been true a few years ago but the word hasn't gotten out that we're having layoffs and hiring freezes here, too, and that in fact, the unemployment growth in this area is among the higher in the country. Bad enough for folks who've lived here working the same job for 20 years to find themselves laid off, but then to have 3x the competition for jobs just because folks all over the country think the Triangle is an employment bonanza and are flooding the application banks.

People NEED to be aware of that if they think they are going to find a job the day they move here, sorry. Part of the severe unemployment upswing in the first place is the crop of newcomers who've been disappointed that the picture they envisioned was more rosy than reality; I think it's better to let people know that then have them get here with unrealistic expectations. Again, I personally (not that I really owe you an explanation) never mention this statement to someone who has indicated in their post that they already have something lined up.

If *I* were moving somewhere expecting the job market to be bountiful, I'd sure hope someone would clue me in before I moved across country, only to find long unemployment lines there, which would at least make my choice to move more of an informed one.
If someone asks, then I agree with you that the statement warrants being made. But the sad fact is that the statement is thrown out there a number of times when there was never even a hint if the person even needs a job. It is an automatic response by many. It looks very defensive and quite silly when it does not even involve the original topic. Take some time and check out the other cities forums here and you will see the same comment being made. When you add it all up, all the boards are saying don't move without a job first. Wouldn't you think that it is already known and wouldn't you think that there may be many circumstances where having a job first is not the most important factor? Not everyone is living paycheck to paycheck.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:53 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
There are many reasons why someone may choose to move here without a job.
I wasn't aware 4 constituted "many."

Wait I thought of 2 more:

- they're living off of their spouses' salary (or perhaps hand-outs from mom n dad)
- they're stupid

Along w/the myth of jobs here being plentiful - or even way more so than most other areas of the country - something else which I didn't see mentioned was that moving tends to be somewhat expensive. Not good if you're already unemployed.

And (as usual) Francois said it well; there still seems to be a considerable # of people who have this idiotic "land of milk n honey" idea about NC. Kinda reminds me of the immigrants from Europe to the US 100 or so years ago (a large % who ended up living in the slums of NYC little better off than they were in Europe, if that).

Hm - I wonder if some kinda mafia will arise out of all this Hey Vito!

Old 05-22-2009, 09:52 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
[quote=joey2000;8930612]I...
And (as usual) Francois said it well; there still seems to be a considerable # of people who have this idiotic "land of milk n honey" idea about NC. Kinda reminds me of the immigrants from Europe to the US 100 or so years ago (a large % who ended up living in the slums of NYC little better off than they were in Europe, if that).

quote]

I have met more than one family that came here with no job(s) lined up, where the breadwinner somehow thought they would get a job because employers were Just Waiting for a Brilliant Transplant, because the Transplant woudl be so Superior to anyone down here already. What a mistake! Thsi area is chock full of capale people seeking employment! It is very importantto post this warning to people who have bought into the myth they heard back north.
Maybe there was a factual basis to this... a decade ago?
But if it was true, at a time where companies moved here & were rapidly expanding, it is no longer true, and has not been true at least for the 3 years we have been here.
BTW, what is often not talked about is that a good number of immigrants in teh last century did not make it here in the US and went back!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:21 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Anyone who falls into category #4 and comes here without a job, regardless of where they come from, is making a huge mistake. (Unless they are in the medical field.)

Anyone who advises such a person to "follow their dream," saying, "everything will work out" obviously hasn't personally suffered.

I am all for positive thinking and living your dream, but this recession is the worst in 40 years. The rules have changed. What worked before is no longer working.

The NC unemployment rate is 10.8 (of course, lower in the Triangle, but still high). More people are now looking for work in the Triangle than ever before.

Get real. NC is not the answer for you. Retail jobs are few (you'll find "professionals" who have lost their jobs in other fields have taken them). Retail shops are going under. In many industries, there have been cuts and job losses.

Go to any one of the MANY other states where your chances are better. Texas is doing well at 6.7 percent unemloyment. Real estate is low there. It's warm.

NC has for years been The Place To Go. It isn't anymore. Use your brains.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:00 PM

69 posts, read 156,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Anyone who falls into category #4 and comes here without a job, regardless of where they come from, is making a huge mistake. (Unless they are in the medical field.)

Anyone who advises such a person to "follow their dream," saying, "everything will work out" obviously hasn't personally suffered.

I am all for positive thinking and living your dream, but this recession is the worst in 40 years. The rules have changed. What worked before is no longer working.

The NC unemployment rate is 10.8 (of course, lower in the Triangle, but still high). More people are now looking for work in the Triangle than ever before.

Get real. NC is not the answer for you. Retail jobs are few (you'll find "professionals" who have lost their jobs in other fields have taken them). Retail shops are going under. In many industries, there have been cuts and job losses.

Go to any one of the MANY other states where your chances are better. Texas is doing well at 6.7 percent unemloyment. Real estate is low there. It's warm.

NC has for years been The Place To Go. It isn't anymore. Use your brains.
Who is saying everything will work out? They way I look at it is if you are out of work and need to start over, it may be a great time to evaluate what is really important to you in life. It may be a good time to move to (insert location) and start your life over. There are no guarantees anywhere, except for guaranteeing yourself the same old same old every single day that you don't make a different decision. It doesn't have to cost a lot to move in a lot of cases, so if you are out of work with no prospects, then it certainly can be a doable thing to move. The decision on where to move does not have to and should not be based soley on who has the lowest unemployment rate. The decision should be based on how will you enjoy your life where you are going. Do you like the weather, people, location, character and so on. IMO, the employment numbers would rank very far down the list as numbers fluctate all the time. Chasing the dollar leads to unhappiness in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary