Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 02:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Many college graduates have to pay back college loans, pay rent and eat. With no job, then what?

I don't think too many people, regardless of age, are up for such an "adventure." In Michigan, they are finding such adventures not so much fun.

It simply makes sense for anyone looking for a job to go where the jobs are.

Dear sweet NRG, with whom I rarely disagree, your comment is out of touch. Conditions have changed drastically since you moved here. Before I moved here, I had five interviews lined up and a couple of job offers. The world has changed. (And it has very recently changed.)

It's just sad to give a college grad or anyone advice to come here without a job.

I think you need to reread my post.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
This isn't the good ole 1990s where a young, fresh out of college person could live on a service industry job, ambition and adventure.
And yet untold thousands do this as we speak.

I know a young guy who moved here 3 months ago. He tends bar at Piper's Tavern in North Raleigh, and lives in a nice Apartment next to Falls River. He seems pretty happy. I doubt he is the only one out there.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:23 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
I reread it and found I read it correctly the first time. My response is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think you need to reread my post.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
Who is saying everything will work out? They way I look at it is if you are out of work and need to start over, it may be a great time to evaluate what is really important to you in life. It may be a good time to move to (insert location) and start your life over. There are no guarantees anywhere, except for guaranteeing yourself the same old same old every single day that you don't make a different decision. It doesn't have to cost a lot to move in a lot of cases, so if you are out of work with no prospects, then it certainly can be a doable thing to move. The decision on where to move does not have to and should not be based soley on who has the lowest unemployment rate. The decision should be based on how will you enjoy your life where you are going. Do you like the weather, people, location, character and so on. IMO, the employment numbers would rank very far down the list as numbers fluctate all the time. Chasing the dollar leads to unhappiness in the end.
I have to agree with you. Although you need and income to live, money isn't everything. You must be happy too. I feel if you can afford to move at this time without a job, go for it!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:33 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
I'd be curious to see your budget. A quick check of u-haul's web site for a move from NJ to here is $1K before taxes for the cheapest option, and that's not including gas. I'd like to see how far you'll get on the remaining $350 or so. Don't forget to figure out how to get your car down here along with you, take care of utilities (turn off at the old place, turn on here - which requires a deposit if you don't have a local history), deposit on the new place to live, various nuisance fees like car registration and driver's license, and so on.

ETA - Yeah, the NJ thing is a stereotype, but it's not like a move from the west coast is going to be any cheaper.
When I was living in NJ I needed to move down to FL sans job. I rented a Penske truck from FL to NJ one way, unlimited miles because it was $250 instead of going NJ to FL at $2600. Flew down to FL for $80, picked up the truck, drove FL->NJ, loaded, NJ->FL, unloaded, then FL->NJ to drop off the truck on the "one way move" all in 6 days. Whole thing cost me $800 including rental, gas, air fare, and food.

This last move I splurged and hired two guys to move my stuff into the truck. My move from Norfolk to Raleigh was around $450 almost exactly 1 year ago. And that was moving lots of stuff, sofas, fridge, bed, washer/dryer, several TV's and computers, dining room set, tools, towing a car, basically a 3 bedrooms' house worth of stuff.

I moved from NM to VA at a cost of around $1100 w/ a U-Haul and that was when gas was higher than it is now, and included several hotels.

Moving is cheap, especially if you are a recent college grad. Just load up your stuff in your car and drive! With no attachments you don't really have anything to worry about (remember those days!!).

Old 05-22-2009, 02:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't mean to offend you, but your comment seems a bit out of touch. You seem to be painting all potential transplants with the same brush. Now, would I move here if I had no job but had a wife, three kids, a dog to support and enough belongings to necessitate paying $5,000 for a professional move? Heck no! However, I think a young college grad has a lot less risk to consider when making such a move especially when they are moving from such an economically depressed state as Michigan.

When I graduated from college I moved from NJ to Richmond, VA with nothing more than a Bronco II filled with a few boxes of clothes, dishes, TV, and a computer. It cost me about $50 in gas money to move. Recent college grads usually aren't burdened with the need to spend $1,000's of dollars paying professional movers since often times they have no furniture to move.

A young college grad doesn't have the cost of supporting a family to consider and is better positioned to live off a meager income from waiting tables or bartending and renting a 1 bedroom apartment for $500-$600 a month while they pound the pavement looking for a better career opportunity. The combination of youth, education, and ambition are more than enough to get by on for many. Some even enjoy the adventure of the challenge.
Great point! I'd give you more rep points, but can't yet.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:20 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Everyone has missed the point.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
I would think that if one was already unemployed and NOT expecting to fond work fine. But for some looking to come and FIND employment they do need to understand the circumstances.

Each will make a decision based on personal experience and expectations..

Old 05-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Everyone has missed the point.
I don't think so. It's just that everyone doesn't share your point of view.

Nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Each will make a decision based on personal experience and expectations..
That's what it comes down to at the end of the day. The situation is different for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary