Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:51 AM

11 posts, read 45,985 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I want to take the family camping this weekend (sort of a last minute idea). Where can we camp within an hour or so of the triangle that an 8 and 12 year old would both enjoy as well as fishing for the adults? We will be tent camping. I've seen a few places listed online but wanted to get some opinions from all of you that have done this. I know no matter where we go it's probably going to be very busy this weekend....but that's ok....just hope we can find a spot bc we won't be able to leave until early saturday morning. Any ideas or recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time ya'll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,774 times
Jordan Lake is a great place and it is right next to Apex, no need to drive any where.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 6,774 times
Thumbs up Jordan Lake links

Here are some links for the Lake:

[url=http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/jord/main.php]N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Jordan Lake State Recreation Area[/url]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Lake_State_Recreation_Area]Jordan Lake State Recreation Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

[url=http://www.carolinanow.com/recsites/jordanlakesra.htm]Jordan Lake State Recreation Area, Apex NC[/url]

Old 05-22-2009, 08:12 AM

11 posts, read 45,985 times
Thanks my2boyz....think my chances of getting a spot will be ok around 9am tomorrow morning? If so I think this is where we will go....since we live in cary and it's so close.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:31 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,941,838 times
You could try the KOA in New Bern. I'm not a huge fan of corporate campgrounds, but at least they tend to be kept up well. It is on the neuse, and that part of the neuse has good crabbing, which is alot of fun for kids.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:23 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,593,162 times
I would second (or third) Jordan Lake

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Jordan Lake State Recreation Area

Old 05-22-2009, 10:00 AM

3,367 posts, read 7,726,594 times
Even if you can't camp till tomorrow, you may want to get by and claim a spot (set up your tent and register) today asap. I'd be surprised if you can find a spot tomorrow at one of these close to the Triangle campgrounds. We are heading to the mountains in a bit and am hoping the campground I want is not full, but have some good backup options.

If you have packs, you could always head to Uwharrie and hike in and camp when you find a good spot.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:07 AM

345 posts, read 1,057,020 times
Raven Rock State Park (near Lillington, NC)

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Raven Rock State Park

Old 05-22-2009, 10:34 AM

3,070 posts, read 8,863,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
You could try the KOA in New Bern. I'm not a huge fan of corporate campgrounds, but at least they tend to be kept up well. It is on the neuse, and that part of the neuse has good crabbing, which is alot of fun for kids.

good place, but doesn't meet his criteria of being only an hour away. In that case there are several campsites down east i could mention

Old 05-22-2009, 01:07 PM

39 posts, read 194,180 times
Umstead State Park is right here in our backyard.

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to William B. Umstead State Park

And there is also Falls Lake.

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Falls Lake State Recreation Area

- Chad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary