U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 PM

519 posts, read 625,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
That's great. Kids get some Wednesday off just because it happens to be the day before a national holiday, but now the kids don't get off an actual observed holiday to remember those who died while fighting for our freedoms. Way to go, WCPSS!
I have to work on Memorial Day and the Fourth of July.

I don't need a day off to remember the sacrifices that my grandfather and other people had to give us our freedoms. I remember those sacrifices EVERY day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is clearly the fault and the sheer stupidity of the school system to have school on Monday. Sheer STUPIDITY. It was done at the request of Principals who wanted to have the day for Thanksgiving off because so many were already taking it off as a travel day. The Wake County Republican Party is calling on parents to not send their kids to school on Monday. There is no way in hindsight the board can or should defend this decision and it raises a number of questions about clarity of thought in the decision making process. It is not a matter of one holiday over the other as the day they are taking off is not a holiday. Did Principals really think people would show up on Monday? Did Principals really request it or were they told to request it? What will the Principals do when a child comes in with a note requesting their absence to be excused because their family was spending the day in memory of a relative who gave their life in service of our country. Duhhhhhhh?
School on Memorial Day? GOP urges student boycott - Wake Schools - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/education/wake/story/1539363.html - broken link)

Year-round students who skip school Monday have a new excuse -- the Wake County Republican Party told me to.

The county GOP took the unusual step Friday of encouraging families to keep their children out of school Monday to protest the Wake school system's decision to have year-round schools open on Memorial Day.

Claude Pope Jr., chairman of the Wake GOP, said it's more important to honor the nation's war dead Monday than to show up for classes.

Year-round schools are in session Monday because two years ago, principals said they wanted to have the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off instead of Memorial Day. Caroline Massengill, then the administrator in charge of year-round calendars, said principals also didn't want to shorten winter break just to have Memorial Day off.

The above is from the link

I am a true friend of school based administrators and my sincere belief is that they were probably told they wanted it by their directors and are being used as the scape goat. A decision of this magnitude would have required approval by the Superintendent his staff, the elected board and parents on the calendar committee. Don't blame your Principal go right for the jugular at the top.
What fascinates me about this decision to have school on Memorial Day is that this calender was adopted in 2007. Two of the members who voted on the adoption aren't even members anymore.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:57 PM

23,916 posts, read 20,036,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
What fascinates me about this decision to have school on Memorial Day is that this calender was adopted in 2007. Two of the members who voted on the adoption aren't even members anymore.
Interesting, probably a number of the people involved aren't in their position anymore. The best thing is for the system to just let what ever happens happen and move on without fanfare. If kids show they show if not don't force the excused/unexcused issue.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Interesting, probably a number of the people involved aren't in their position anymore. The best thing is for the system to just let what ever happens happen and move on without fanfare. If kids show they show if not don't force the excused/unexcused issue.
Well, I couldn't find any info on whether the people who voted in 2007 are not there because they were defeated during the elections or just decided not to run again.

IMHO, I think the whole system needs to be changed. No child in any public school should go to school during a federal holiday. Also, no adult should work during those holidays as well. If holidays like Memorial Day and the Fourth of July are so sacrosanct, are we not diminishing that importance by making kids go to school and adults go to work?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:28 AM

718 posts, read 2,055,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nclass View Post
At Highcroft elementary they are celebrating Memorial day by having a ceremony to replace their current "tattered" flag.(They have had the same flag for several years now) They have the ceremony at noon and a picnic lunch afterward.Parents are invited as well. Since the children are having to go to school anyway I thought this was a clever idea by the school to get them to learn about the flag.

My kids are also in Highcroft and they are looking foward to going to school on Monday . I ,on the other hand, am looking foward to a relaxing day at the pool with just my hubby.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynn41072 View Post
My kids are also in Highcroft and they are looking foward to going to school on Monday . I ,on the other hand, am looking foward to a relaxing day at the pool with just my hubby.
Hmmm is that satisfaction related to educational experiences gained or the school performing a babysitting role? Just wondering. What ever you reason there a many parents who agree with you and would support the notion that Memorial Day is another shopping/vacation day with a special emphasis on the pool and cookouts. Just another long weekend in a society that has lost a sense of history and purpose. That can come back and bite us in many ways if we have no sense of a common shared experience and those who died to protect it. Those of us who are African American, Jewish, Polish, Korean and most of the other countries of the world would not be able to enjoy our pool and cookouts if it had not been for those who gave so much to preserve freedom world wide. Do you think the modern Nazi Party would have recognized our many holidays? We need to remember that eventually it would have been us. Just think within the lifetime of most of us the sacrifices that have been made so we can enjoy our ribs on Monday. Having school is just flat out shameful. However not as shameful as those who could care less about the true meaning of the day.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:50 AM

324 posts, read 612,506 times
I don't think there will be many kids in school Monday. If you keep yours home, I seriously doubt they'll be missing much... Unless you have a school that's designed a special memorial day program. Use Monday to be with your kids and tell them what this holiday is all about. It'll be time better spent.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:57 AM

Folks can someone share with us the testing calendar for the year round schools in Wake County? Usually adding days in the school year prior to test administration is the brilliant idea of people in testing and assessment who want to sneak/force another day in as prep time for the accountability test. Hopefully the testing is done and this isn't part of the motivation for. Yes it is sad but when it comes to testing preparation a day added weeks before the test is worth trading off a day monthsssssssssssssss prior. When do high school students test? What about students who need to retest will this help them avoid being held back? If any of this is possibly the reason why, is it a fair trade off? Will the Republican Party let it die out after Monday or will they hold the school system's feet to the fire? Is this leverage to assist with other battles between the school system and tax payers? Hmmmmmmmm!

Last edited by TuborgP; 05-24-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 05-24-2009, 12:33 PM

718 posts, read 2,055,912 times
Quote:
Hmmm is that satisfaction related to educational experiences gained or the school performing a babysitting role? Just wondering. What ever you reason there a many parents who agree with you and would support the notion that Memorial Day is another shopping/vacation day with a special emphasis on the pool and cookouts. Just another long weekend in a society that has lost a sense of history and purpose. That can come back and bite us in many ways if we have no sense of a common shared experience and those who died to protect it. Those of us who are African American, Jewish, Polish, Korean and most of the other countries of the world would not be able to enjoy our pool and cookouts if it had not been for those who gave so much to preserve freedom world wide. Do you think the modern Nazi Party would have recognized our many holidays? We need to remember that eventually it would have been us. Just think within the lifetime of most of us the sacrifices that have been made so we can enjoy our ribs on Monday. Having school is just flat out shameful. However not as shameful as those who could care less about the true meaning of the day.

Sorry you feel the way you do, but as I stated before my kids WANT to attend school on Monday. Highcroft is having a special tribute and picnic lunch which my kids are looking foward to. I don't have a problem with it at all. My kids will be tracked out anyway in 2 weeks, we can celebrate then. I'm sure the school knows that some kids will not be attending, but they have to provide 180 days of school anyway. I prefer having the day before Thansgiving off and Good Friday as well.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:28 AM

1,611 posts, read 3,290,892 times
Turbo, teh testing is usually done about 2 weeks before the end of school. This gives time to test kids who are absent for all or some of the testing days. Most years, it is atime when the teachers squeeze in more social studies/science, as well as parties & special events. It was like this for my kids in NY so this is NOT just a NC thing.

Track 1 is done with testing- they were done well before the Memorial Day holiday, and I think all the tracks but 4 are done, too.

What happened here with the extra day, as the pp's stated, is that they made up a day for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, because school must be in session 180 days, not because of the testing. I doubt they would put a test prep day on a day when so many kids would be absent!

Seems some of the schools did a wonderful job of teaching about Memorial Day. Some had veterans come in as speakers & some had flag ceremonies. Some invited parents and made it into a community commemoration. At my kid's school the teachers did there own thing- my daughter's teacher taught them about it in the classroom- there was no school-wide commemoration. As I posted before, I would gladly send my kids on Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, Columbus Day & MLK Day if they devoted those days to teaching civics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary