Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 03:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,530 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking of using some space in my back yard as a cut flower garden. Any suggestions on good flowers to plant? I'm considering some space that has a good deal of the afternoon sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:17 PM

330 posts, read 984,568 times
Daniel -

Here are some that I would recommend.

* Achillea (Yarrow)
* Aster
* Campanula
* Carnation
* Chrysanthemum, such as Shasta Daisy
* Coreopsis
* Coral Bells
* Delphinium
* Dianthus, deltoids (Pinks)
* Digitalis (Foxglove)
* Echinacea (Purple Coneflower)
* Echinops exaltatus (Globe Thistle)*
* Gypsophila (Baby's Breath)*
* Heuchera (Coral Bells)
* Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker)
* Lavender
* Lobelia
* Lupine
* Nicotiana (Flowering Tobacco)
* Phlox
* Poppy, Shirley or Iceland
* Rudbeckia (Black-Eyed Susan)
* Sages
* Solidago, (Goldenrod)
* Veronica

Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,405 times
Default Asiatic Lillies

Bought 3 pots of lillies for 50 cents each at Lowes, end of season two years ago. They are blooming great big flowers now. I cut some everyday and bring them in the house. I want more!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,530 times
Shane, I'll have to go to some local nurseries and look at the plants you've suggested. Thanks again!

Happy--what kind of lilies did you plant?

Old 05-23-2009, 06:32 AM

330 posts, read 984,568 times
Daniel -

You can come to my garden. I have many of them planted and can give you some.

- Shane

Old 05-23-2009, 06:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
We greatly discourage folks from going to Lowes end of season sales......

It is just too crowded and we have a difficult time getting some of the great deals...

We tell them to go over to Walmarts...

Old 05-23-2009, 01:47 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazers View Post
Daniel -

Here are some that I would recommend.

* Achillea (Yarrow)
* Aster
* Campanula
* Carnation
* Chrysanthemum, such as Shasta Daisy
* Coreopsis
* Coral Bells
* Delphinium
* Dianthus, deltoids (Pinks)
* Digitalis (Foxglove)
* Echinacea (Purple Coneflower)
* Echinops exaltatus (Globe Thistle)*
* Gypsophila (Baby's Breath)*
* Heuchera (Coral Bells)
* Kniphofia (Red Hot Poker)
* Lavender
* Lobelia
* Lupine
* Nicotiana (Flowering Tobacco)
* Phlox
* Poppy, Shirley or Iceland
* Rudbeckia (Black-Eyed Susan)
* Sages
* Solidago, (Goldenrod)
* Veronica
Great list! I don't know my flowers but have started adding some perennials to my landscape. I usually like to buy my stuff at local Nurseries, but today I ran across an awesome sale at the Home Depot in North Raleigh off of Strickland. They are selling a bunch of perennials for $2.98 through Sunday. They were flying off the shelf! I got some Purple Coneflower, Lobelia, Coreopsis, and Shasta Daisy. I don’t know if this sale is going on at all HD stores, but getting 5 perennial plants for a little over $15 is a great deal!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,419 times
I have shasta daisies (white) and zinnias (multi-color) to add. I have them and love to bring them inside. I'm also going to plant dahlia. I've seen some called "dinner plate"? that have huge flowers.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:36 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,405 times
Default Lillies

Daniel the lillies are orange with dark green leaves. The ones I cut 3 days ago and put in a vase are still beautiful. The asiatic lillies come come all colors. Don't confuse the asiatic lillies with day lillies, they are quite different.

I also bought chysanthemums at Lowes for 25 cents each at the end of the season two years ago. Those plants, along with the lillies, were the most beautiful of my flowers last year. They've come back twice as big this year and are full of buds. After all the money I spend on plants, its such a bonus to get glorious results from these nearly free plants! Its almost as if they are thanking me for rescuing them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary