Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 08:05 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times

Advertisements

I know that the beach is about 2 hours away. Do you feel it's too far away?Do you feel that is doable for a day trip or is it better to stay there? How many times do you make it there a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 08:10 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default reply

we make it about 26 times a year. my wife and kids stay at the bedach all summer. me-just on weekends. we are at the beach now and it is beautiful.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:20 AM

47 posts, read 104,818 times
Obviously if one has a home at the beach you can make limitless visits. For the rest of us however, the beach is definitely a doable day trip. My family and I often hop in the car and head down for even just a few hours. We can leave anytime before noon, get there by 2:30, stay until 5:30, stop for dinner, and be home by 9. The earlier we leave the more time we have in the surf. But, we have young kiddos that still nap and the beach makes naps impossible. Leaving around noon allows them to sleep along the way. It's a lot of driving for only 3 hours of beach time, but the escape is worth it.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:24 AM

242 posts, read 1,213,327 times
We would like to check it out (we moved here over a year ago and have yet to get there), but given the time required to make the trip, we would have to bring our 3 dogs with us. anyone else in similar situation have any recommendation on pet friendly places to stay/visit ?

Old 05-24-2009, 08:46 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
We'd go once a year, renting a beach house. 4 hours+ RT for a couple of hours on the beach? Too much for me. Also once a year to the mountains. Most people, unless they own a beach house, do not go very often. At least not anyone I know.

BTW, people always say the beach is "2 hours" but that is only a very small area. Most of the beaches are far more than that.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:49 AM

225 posts, read 574,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I know that the beach is about 2 hours away. Do you feel it's too far away?Do you feel that is doable for a day trip or is it better to stay there? How many times do you make it there a year?
It's almost 3 hours for me so not as often as I would like. I go for a day trip when I'm desperate. I have pets as well so it's not easy to do that. But you can pick up some of those coupon books at rest areas to find a discounted hotel room, helps to stay in wilmington somewhere.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:00 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
We have been once and plan to visit more. Probably after the tourists leave. It's a 2 hour trip but with stops it is usually 3. We lounge around, do lunch at an oyster place and meander back to Eastern Wake / Franklin County by early evening.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:11 AM

27 posts, read 80,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
We would like to check it out (we moved here over a year ago and have yet to get there), but given the time required to make the trip, we would have to bring our 3 dogs with us. anyone else in similar situation have any recommendation on pet friendly places to stay/visit ?
Topsail Beach allows dogs. Check the town's website for specifics.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:49 AM

766 posts, read 1,658,214 times
I just went to Wilmington last weekend, but usually only 2-3 times a year. I am going to try and start going more often for at least day trips. I love the beach. Before that I went to VA Beach last fall.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:00 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,967 times
For us, a major problem with a day trip is that there are very very few public facilities such as bathrooms & showers where you can rinse off for a comfortable drive home. We would go much more often if there were. Now, not to say I love CA, but it had wonderful facilities at the beach...nice showers, clean bathrooms, snack bars and parking and many people traveled the hour or more it took to get there from the inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary