Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times

Advertisements

Kiplinger ranks Raleigh 10th on 2009 Best Cities list - Triangle Business Journal:

More accolades for Raleigh. Now if only they would improve the infrastructure to accommodate those of us already living here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
I'm not sure what these places see about Raleigh. Sure it's relatively cheap to buy a house but NC taxes the hell out of us, summers are hot and steamy, winters are cold, etc. I dunno I guess I am missing what makes Raleigh such a great place to live.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:23 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I'm not sure what these places see about Raleigh. Sure it's relatively cheap to buy a house but NC taxes the hell out of us, summers are hot and steamy, winters are cold, etc. I dunno I guess I am missing what makes Raleigh such a great place to live.
If it weren't for my relatively secure job, I'd be the heck out of here in a NY minute (but not to NY ). Probably would go to NH, Texas, Florida or Nevada. Much better values on real estate and more favorable tax policies. As the commercial real estate market implodes near the end of the year, you'll see the effects trickle into the triangle area, since we have a huge number of retail spaces.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:30 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Quote:

You think taxes in NC are high? You think winters are cold? Ha, try living up north. If you don't know why Raleigh and NC in general are such great places to live, you probably haven't lived elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
I've lived in IL, NJ, NH, FL, NM, VA and now NC. If last winter was typical I'd rather be in NH where at least you get nice summers with the cold winters, along with greatly reduced overall taxes. Coldest place by far was IL though. I can't stand the midwest.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:03 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,969,306 times
Quote:
I've lived in IL, NJ, NH, FL, NM, VA and now NC. If last winter was typical I'd rather be in NH where at least you get nice summers with the cold winters, along with greatly reduced overall taxes. Coldest place by far was IL though. I can't stand the midwest.
Overall energy costs are likely lower since heating can be done by wood and other alternatives that can be cheaper than heat pumps, forced air, etc. Not to mention the bugs and additional mugginess here.

The beaches are nicer in the summer however. But, that's what vacations are for

Old 05-26-2009, 01:14 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times
Talking The Triangle Area Ranks In The Top 10 Yet Again!!!

Looks like the Triangle area is still one of the best places to be. We keep ranking near the top on all kinds of lists. Good for us....bad for the N.N.

Raleigh cracks Kiplinger's Best Cities list :: WRAL.com

"The top 10 selection is the latest in a series of high rankings for the Raleigh/Triangle area, including: No. 2 on the Milken Institute's 2008 listing of "Best Performing Cities”; and the Raleigh-Cary metro statistical area s ranking No. 1 on Forbes' 2009 listing of "Best Metro Areas for Business and Careers."

Old 05-26-2009, 01:19 PM

305 posts, read 713,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Looks like the Triangle area is still one of the best places to be. We keep ranking near the top on all kinds of lists. Good for us....bad for the N.N.

Raleigh cracks Kiplinger's Best Cities list :: WRAL.com

"The top 10 selection is the latest in a series of high rankings for the Raleigh/Triangle area, including: No. 2 on the Milken Institute's 2008 listing of "Best Performing Cities”; and the Raleigh-Cary metro statistical area s ranking No. 1 on Forbes' 2009 listing of "Best Metro Areas for Business and Careers."

...and your point is?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
This is actually not good. When your city gets heavily publicized as being great, flocks of people will come, and your city will no longer be great.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:31 PM

305 posts, read 713,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is actually not good. When your city gets heavily publicized as being great, flocks of people will come, and your city will no longer be great.
Very well said by one of the few who actually gets the big picture.
Short and concise.
Kudos and rep points to you, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary