Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times

Advertisements

Has anyone gone to the new Harris-Teeter in Wake Forest today? Its on the Northwest side of the intersection of New Falls of Neuse and Capital Blvd. Bit closer for some than going to the one in Falls Pointe off Falls of Neuse or the one in/near/by Heritage. Not really sure if that one is in Heritage or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:02 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Default Survival of the fittest

I wonder how the new Harris Teeter is going to affect sales at the nearby Kroger that was starting to see a substantial up-tick in traffic? Competition amongst grocery stores is fierce in the area thanks to the Super Wal-mart that’s just on the other side of Capital Blvd. I suspect that the Kroger was able to remain viable mostly because they offer special incentives for senior citizens on Tuesdays but with the added competition of Harris Teeter things could get a little dicey.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 AM

74 posts, read 203,666 times
Wow- that's interesting that Harris Teeter would build another store in close proximity like that. I live and work near both locations. You are right, a LOT of competition in this area for grocery shopping. I just "discovered" the Kroger up in the cut by the movie theater.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM

45 posts, read 120,978 times
Man, where have I been? I live right around the corner from there and didn't realize this was done. Thank goodness because the nearby Kroger was horrible.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmenah View Post
Wow- that's interesting that Harris Teeter would build another store in close proximity like that. I live and work near both locations. You are right, a LOT of competition in this area for grocery shopping. I just "discovered" the Kroger up in the cut by the movie theater.
You should see the close proximity of HTs in Charlotte. I swear it's like one every half mile. And, I'm not kidding. Maybe they are using that same strategy here.

Thanks to the OP for letting us know that it's now open. I can't wait to check it out.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiegirl112 View Post
Man, where have I been? I live right around the corner from there and didn't realize this was done. Thank goodness because the nearby Kroger was horrible.
You are certainly right! The service is terrible, the store looks bad, and several times I have gotten home without all of the groceries I paid for - even though I checked behind the bagger.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:43 PM

71 posts, read 180,329 times
We checked out the new HT yesterday afternoon. I am impressed. It has a huge produce area, and what looks like a very nice deli/bakery section. I am pleased that I don't have to drive down to the HT on falls of the neuse any more. The HT in Heritage was just too small IMHO. I like the nearby Kroger for their organic section, but that's about the only thing i shop there for. The store just reads as being too run down.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:04 AM

260 posts, read 545,805 times
I wish that the new HT had a larger seafood area and butcher counter, but it is a really nice store. Parking is much better than the HT on Falls of Neuse.
I only go to the Kroger for certain things, because they really are less expensive. I will never buy lunch meat there again. Ask for shaved - and get thick small chunks.... uh.... no. Also, customer service there is horrible. Mention that there are no baskets in the basket area - and have the "manager" tell you "yeah, I know. We'll get to it". Sometimes it just isn't worth it to go there.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
You are certainly right! The service is terrible, the store looks bad, and several times I have gotten home without all of the groceries I paid for - even though I checked behind the bagger.
That entire shopping center needs a face-lift.

Seriously, I've always wondered where people in the Wakefield area grocery shop.
They must go to nearby Wake Forest, because the Food Lion on the back end of Wakefield is nearly always empty.. and the Kroger isn't a lot busier.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:12 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I wonder how the new Harris Teeter is going to affect sales at the nearby Kroger that was starting to see a substantial up-tick in traffic? Competition amongst grocery stores is fierce in the area thanks to the Super Wal-mart that’s just on the other side of Capital Blvd. I suspect that the Kroger was able to remain viable mostly because they offer special incentives for senior citizens on Tuesdays but with the added competition of Harris Teeter things could get a little dicey.
I think Kroger is going to have an awful hard time competing with Harris Teeter !
Kroger meats are not up to my standards.... plus slow turnover makes for some not so fresh/tasty meat.....
I'm a creature of habit, and I buy 85% of my groceries at SuperTarget. Their prices are competitive (for the things I buy on a weekly basis). While I prefer Fresh Market meats.. I can tolerate Super Target meat... I know it all comes from a distributor..but so far so good. Again, I think rapid turnover makes the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary