Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 10:07 PM

193 posts, read 245,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeNY View Post
The allegiance to your state is what draws me to it. I would love to be apart of that sort of solidarity.
Dood, Texas, seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
bta

284 posts, read 1,885,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
It seems like many on this board are moving here for cheaper housing and jobs. North Carolina is changing drastically due to the enormous growth. I am curious. How many transplants ever think of what life used to be like here? Do you care about and try to learn our history, culture?
Michelle71 - is the history and culture Desdemona123 mentions in her post what you are talking about? Cause I don't believe it is. I'd venture to guess a lot of Southerns don't know that history. I have a feeling you're talking more about upbringing and personal history. Stuff that isn't in books. More like the list of things lovesMountains' link refers to: Cheerwine, grits, Miss Helen, Carolina BBQ, eastern/western NC dialect.

But let’s be honest here. Would it make you feel any better if transplants read up on NC history? If they could recite the significant NC events over the past 500 years, what would it really matter? They still wouldn't be able to relate to how things used to be - the farm lands, the foods, the buildings, the accent, the mannerisms. And what if they could? What if they started speaking with a southern accent? What if they started dropping y'alls right and left? If I were you, I'd think they were making fun of me. I wouldn't think it's genuine.

I was born in NC. My father was born in NC. My grandparents were born in NC. My great grand parents were born in NC. And you know what I hate most about the South? The fact that the South doesn't accept newcomers. Since they weren't born here - they'll never know how "it used to be".

I'm proud to be from NC and I am proud of the changes that are happening here. I don't mind the new developments. I even bought a house in one. I like the culture that is "invading". I want my children to go to school next to kids that's first language is Spanish. I want them to be exposed to other religions. I want them to not only learn their heritage, but the varied heritage of everyone around them.

Do I miss the way things used to be? Yes, I reminisce about the past. I kid my wife (who is not from NC) when a native confuses her. But I'm certainly looking forward to the future. NC was a great place to live, NC is a great place to live, and NC will be a great place to live for years to come. And we have our new friends from all over the world to thank for that.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Dood, Texas, seriously.
You are so right!!! I have Texas relatives, and I know just what you mean. Texans are so fiercely proud of their state it is amazing. Some would still like to cede from the nation and be their own country!!!!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
Michelle71 - is the history and culture Desdemona123 mentions in her post what you are talking about? Cause I don't believe it is. I'd venture to guess a lot of Southerns don't know that history. I have a feeling you're talking more about upbringing and personal history. Stuff that isn't in books. More like the list of things lovesMountains' link refers to: Cheerwine, grits, Miss Helen, Carolina BBQ, eastern/western NC dialect.

But let’s be honest here. Would it make you feel any better if transplants read up on NC history? If they could recite the significant NC events over the past 500 years, what would it really matter? They still wouldn't be able to relate to how things used to be - the farm lands, the foods, the buildings, the accent, the mannerisms. And what if they could? What if they started speaking with a southern accent? What if they started dropping y'alls right and left? If I were you, I'd think they were making fun of me. I wouldn't think it's genuine.

I was born in NC. My father was born in NC. My grandparents were born in NC. My great grand parents were born in NC. And you know what I hate most about the South? The fact that the South doesn't accept newcomers. Since they weren't born here - they'll never know how "it used to be".

I'm proud to be from NC and I am proud of the changes that are happening here. I don't mind the new developments. I even bought a house in one. I like the culture that is "invading". I want my children to go to school next to kids that's first language is Spanish. I want them to be exposed to other religions. I want them to not only learn their heritage, but the varied heritage of everyone around them.

Do I miss the way things used to be? Yes, I reminisce about the past. I kid my wife (who is not from NC) when a native confuses her. But I'm certainly looking forward to the future. NC was a great place to live, NC is a great place to live, and NC will be a great place to live for years to come. And we have our new friends from all over the world to thank for that.
bta, you are the face of the New South

Old 04-09-2007, 10:27 PM

193 posts, read 245,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
But let’s be honest here. Would it make you feel any better if transplants read up on NC history? If they could recite the significant NC events over the past 500 years, what would it really matter?
I can't speak for Michelle but it would make a difference to me. Learning those things would indicate to me that a newcomer respects NC and wants to make it their home. It would indicate to me that they came here to be a part of something and are not just passing through before moving on to the next "hot" area.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
I can't speak for Michelle but it would make a difference to me. Learning those things would indicate to me that a newcomer respects NC and wants to make it their home. It would indicate to me that they came here to be a part of something and are not just passing through before moving on to the next "hot" area.
Again, we agree

Old 04-09-2007, 10:32 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,381 times
This is an intersting question for me. I was born and raised in southern Va, but my mother's side of the family is from NC. She was born there herself. So, when I relocate later this year, I will be coming home sort-of, but not really. I have lived in the midwest so long that is as much a part of me as Va. Still Va will always be an amazing place to me. I understand the social structure and formal hospitality of the Old South since I was raised there. The midwest hospitality is completely different. Both have their pros and cons.

As far as history and culture...One of the things I love most about living in a new place is discovering, appreciating, and respecting the history and culture of that area. It will never be the same as if all of us transplants were raised there. But change can be refreshing, causes us all to grow and move past ourselves.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 PM

19 posts, read 60,016 times
Default Southern History

Thanks Mountain Lover,

I believe Des misunderstood my comment. All states have history but history is alive when it passed through time. In the North, I see more emphasis on "culture" than state history. Traditions are influenced by culture. I cannot trace a history in NY back to 1700's my family came from the South to the North. There is a break in history and also in tradition because those that moved North either adopted the "northern" way or kept some of their "southern traditions". I knew more about the south as a child than I did about being a New Yorker. At no point will I feel I am not a New Yorker because that is where I was born and were I have lived most of my life. I am merely saying that southern states have a different perspective as people in Ohio may have a different perspective. I never said NC was better than the North. I LOVE and will always LOVE NY. One thing I love about NY is the fact that many New Yorkers are open minded and flexible.

Last edited by ByeByeNY; 04-09-2007 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: Cut off

Old 04-09-2007, 10:55 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Default Written History & Oral History

I love history... no matter where I go I want to learn both the written and the oral history. But imho, the Oral History is where you find the flavor, where you get to meet the historian telling the story, where you get the vivid picture of what life was like. Knowing the facts from a history book is only a piece of the puzzle.

A few years back... maybe 10 years, UNC-Chapel Hill had a program where they sent grad students out to small towns in NC to record the history of these towns as told by the local women. My aunt was selected based on her environmental activism efforts. The library at Carolina supposedly has this amazing Oral History Collection.

When I get to NC, I personally plan on find some old folks in my neighborhood who like to talk and ask them about how the way things use to be. But I'll also pick up a few NC books to brush up on the facts I've forgetten since high school.

Old 04-10-2007, 12:36 AM

43 posts, read 320,321 times
Default Define Quality of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
It seems like many on this board are moving here for cheaper housing and jobs. North Carolina is changing drastically due to the enormous growth. I am curious. How many transplants ever think of what life used to be like here? Do you care about and try to learn our history, culture?

We got a book on NC history during our 1st of 4 visits. The origin of "Tar Heel" has an interesting story behind it. I would call it valor in battle, or bulldog tenacity. I like that.

What I have discovered on my 4th visit, is that "Quality of Life" means different things to different people:
My wife considers it a warmer climate.
I consider it to mean people with a sense of ethics, grace, manners, friendliness and decency. The Golden Rule. Doing an honest job at reasonable prices, being able to sleep soundly, working for an ethical employer -- that's why I'm moving...
While apartment hunting, I met one fellow who used the phrase "Quality of Life" regarding housing prices in San Diego. He's looking for a McMansion. Perhaps he should look at Huntsville, Alabama.... I was sent there for a month...high tech companies on every corner, most engineers I met in Huntsville had brand-new SUVs and were livin' large on 5 acres. One technician had a 20 acre farm-ette in Tennessee, and all these guys could still afford to eat out every single day.
Ron: Let's do German today!
Terry: I'd rather go have some Thai.
Charlie: how about Italian?
Ramone: We haven't had Indian in awhile...
Great pay, low cost of living.
Acreage.
Engineers livin' large.

Getting back to the cost of living in Raleigh...
I'm still trying to get over the price for a gallon of milk in Raleigh. Holy Cow!!!! Does Governor Easley know about this???
prices at Jewel in Elgin, Illinois on April 9,2007:
Fieldcrest brand milk is 2.99/gal -- 1.99 sale
95% lean ground beef 4.24/lb
whole pineapple 3.50---or go to the Mexican store & get it for 1.50-2.00
porterhouse 8.99/lb
chicken drumsticks 1.49 - 1.29 /lb
leg of lamb 3.99 /lb
Idaho Russet potatoes .99 -.89 sale
baby back ribs 5.99 - 5.29 sale
16 oz vienna or french bread 1.99 -1.79 sale
duck 1.99 /lb
2L Coke 1.59 - 1.25 sale
green grapes 2.89 -- .99 ....price is more volatile than gasoline
fish... if you have to ask, you can't afford it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary