Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Look into HOA issues
Schools issues
traffic increasing

Weather alone is not enough of a reason, if you love your area stay there. Most people who move here hated where they were.

I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts a very small minority of people who move here "hated where they were"

And the people who hated where they were probably hate it wherever they live....

Of the folks who move here by choice and not due to a job transfer, I can almost guarantee that many find it a hard decision to leave behind family, friends and the life they know for the unknown.

I didn't "hate" New England, I will be a New Englander for life. I will continue to root for the Red Sox and Patriots and look forward to my trips back each summer.

However I won't miss the snow, ice and cold...

Traffic that ages you daily, commute times that are measured in hours not minutes....

Ridiculous housing costs and cost of living....

Stress of the "rat race" in Boston....

Living in neighborhoods where you barely acknowledge your next door neighbors and most folks wardrobes aren't complete without a perpetual scowl planted on their faces....

Seasonal Affective Disorder from living half your life indoors and never seeing the sun which leads to that permanently implanted scowl...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,072 times
I guess I'm in the very small minority - after 20+ years of living in the Washington DC suburbs I did hate it! You couldn't pay me to move back - the traffic, the insane real estate prices, rude people, etc.

And, no, I don't hate it here - it is the perfect antidote for Northern Virginia!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 AM

21 posts, read 79,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts a very small minority of people who move here "hated where they were"

And the people who hated where they were probably hate it wherever they live....

Of the folks who move here by choice and not due to a job transfer, I can almost guarantee that many find it a hard decision to leave behind family, friends and the life they know for the unknown.

I didn't "hate" New England, I will be a New Englander for life. I will continue to root for the Red Sox and Patriots and look forward to my trips back each summer.

However I won't miss the snow, ice and cold...

Traffic that ages you daily, commute times that are measured in hours not minutes....

Ridiculous housing costs and cost of living....

Stress of the "rat race" in Boston....

Living in neighborhoods where you barely acknowledge your next door neighbors and most folks wardrobes aren't complete without a perpetual scowl planted on their faces....

Seasonal Affective Disorder from living half your life indoors and never seeing the sun which leads to that permanently implanted scowl...
I couldn't agree more with everything you've said It's nice to hear from someone who was in a similar situation and is happy with the move. Go Sox!

Old 04-12-2007, 11:57 AM

21 posts, read 79,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary_nc View Post
We moved from Lexington MA in 2005 and I can't tell you the number of days during the winter when we stop to appreciate how great the weather is here. I've sort of informally found that during the summer it is usually only 10 degrees warmer in NC than in MA. But in the winter it is typically at least 20 degree warmer than in MA. The weather is so worth it!
I guess I just need to get my house on the market and make the move before it gets nice up here in MA. The summer makes me forget (temporarily) just how much I hate the winters. If I stay put, next winter will come I'll be looking to get out again. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-13-2007, 01:33 PM

227 posts, read 728,327 times
Default Left CT for FL and ended up in NC

I moved from CT to Miami eleven years ago because I got tired of the long winters. After spending a year abroad in Buenos Aires which has a very similar climate to Triangle area and surviving it, we decided to return to NC rather than Miami when our year was up. I could never imagine going back to the long cold winters, and if you're used to the winters then it will feel like the tropics here . If I could leave sunny South Florida and deal with the winters then you'll be in good shape. Besides the people here have been really, really nice. We're over in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:54 AM

151 posts, read 703,176 times
I didn't look first, then jump. I just jumped in. I can't imagine just moving for the weaher, but to each his own. If I had to move for that reason, I would have to find a place comparable to where I live, ie, mindsets, opportunities, and people customs. good luck, and nice sunbathing.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:15 AM

69 posts, read 255,636 times
I moved from Syracuse to Raleigh in 2001. I didn't do a lot of research because I was right out of college and a company down here hired me and paid relocation. I miss the snow every year. The summers, to me, are hot! I used to snowmobile, ice fish, and do a lot of outdoor activities in the winter so that is the reason I miss it so much.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:10 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times
This is a tough question because it is embedded in person choice. We moved down from upstate NY almost 5 years ago. Here are my perceptions, opinions, OK my views!

1. Certainly and without a doubt can spend more time outdoors here than in upstate NY from a year round perspective.

2. Unless your a winter wonderland person you are shut in most of the winter in upstate NY. However, unless your like baking like Alaska you are shut in most of the summer here. I do prefer heat over cold though, so I'm still rating this one a '+' maybe two '++' even.

3. Spring and Fall are wonderful here as they are in upstate NY. Its just the period of the spring and fall is almost 2x times upstate NY's. So that is a '+'

4. Then there is summer here. Visions of Sahara, Mohavy, Serengeti come to mind with a twist as this is not a dry heat it a humid heat. Where one can 'Hum' and 'Id' in it or 'Hum' the Klondike tune in it and still be hot!

But 'all in all' or 'some if not all' or 'around the horn' or 'you can play in my sandbox' this is a truly a nice area!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Winters are nice, but looking back, I think they've gotten even milder as I've gotten older (it can't all be a middle-aged woman thing, can it?).

While I enjoy a mild winter season, I miss wearing my nice woolens, pretty sweaters, and I don't think I've worn a heavier winter coat in years. Certainly, my fun little fur jacket has only seen the inside of the closet for years now. I almost never need a pair of gloves or a scarf, but I still like wearing hats.

Is this enough to precipitate a move to NC?

I'd hope you'd want to be here for all of the other amenities the state has to offer.

Dansdrive has made a good point about the trade-off in seasons, however, and it seems like some who move here really suffer with the heat and humidity, and now the inability to plant and grow much, during the summer months. Given the water situation, I'd say stay put or look elsewhere -- at least do a little research.

But, that said, NC native that I am, "nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning. . ."

Old 02-28-2008, 07:38 AM

405 posts, read 1,770,294 times
I'm with a few of the above posters. I'm from Chicago, and I miss the winters terribly. Of course, I never had a car up north so winter weather didn't impact me much in terms of driving/scraping windshields/etc... but still. It's like the yin and yang. I need that arctic winter to balance out the scorching summer, and you just don't get that here.

We'll soon be leaving after 5 years here, and while we're not sure where we're headed (job related), we're doing our best to make sure it's somewhere either back in the midwest or up north. Surely weather isn't the only reason for that, but it does play a big part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary