Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:19 PM

112 posts, read 760,072 times

Advertisements

We get the News & Disturber daily. About once a month I think about dropping it down to just Sunday, but it does provide me something to read at breakfast. I wouldn't mind getting a big city paper where the front page headlines are actually important instead of the useless drivel the N & D tends to put out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 10:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
And, when they endorsed the wrong presidential candidate in 2000, I cancelled our subscription. I read for free now.
We swore off The Oregonian for the same reason! So I won't miss that. But I'll miss our local alternative weekly, The Williamette Week. I know Raleigh has The Indy, but I've been a little disappointed... it just did not seem hard hitting enough. But in all fairness I'll reserve final judgement until I get to read it weekly in NC for a few months. I hope I'll come to love it like the Willi Week.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:51 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Compared to a lot of cities its size, I think the N&O is a pretty good paper. Much more active local/metro coverage and investigative work than, say, the Orlando Sentinel, Richmond Times-Dispatch, etc.

It's no Post/NYT/Globe, but I quite like it.

Now the Herald-Sun is another story...

Old 04-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post

Now the Herald-Sun is another story...
BCR, do tell. I was thinking of subscribing to the Herald since we are moving to Durham. Would you say it's biased one way or the other or just lacking in real info?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:50 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
BCR, do tell. I was thinking of subscribing to the Herald since we are moving to Durham. Would you say it's biased one way or the other or just lacking in real info?
Not biased per say -- they've just cut way, way back in local reporting (outside of ACC sports, it seems.) I read it online to see if they've got any news coverage to note, but honestly, more often than not it's broken in the N&O in print or the N&O blog first.

The H-S was owned by a local family until a couple of years ago, when it was sold to a small-market newspaper company for whom the H-S is their biggest paper, and the changes haven't been all that positive.

Still worth a glance each day, but for my money, I stick to their web site...

Old 04-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Not biased per say -- they've just cut way, way back in local reporting (outside of ACC sports, it seems.) I read it online to see if they've got any news coverage to note, but honestly, more often than not it's broken in the N&O in print or the N&O blog first.

The H-S was owned by a local family until a couple of years ago, when it was sold to a small-market newspaper company for whom the H-S is their biggest paper, and the changes haven't been all that positive.

Still worth a glance each day, but for my money, I stick to their web site...
Thanks for the update. I've hit the H-S website and just thought that they only published part of the articles... was thinking there was more to the print version. I'll check it out when I get to Durham but I don't think I'll pay the extra postage fee to get it here in Portland. Thanks again!

I personally love those locally owned papers... hate to see them sold off.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:04 AM

460 posts, read 2,422,105 times
I get the News and Observer by mail here. It is a good newspaper, give it a try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary