Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times

Advertisements

Looks like it's been more than 5 months since the OP started this thread. NBRodriguez, if you're lurking out there, check in with us and let us know if you moved up here &where you settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:22 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrodriguez View Post
I've read many peoples blogs stating how boring Cary is for single people. I would just like to understand why. I currently live in Miami. I hate almost everything about it (except the beach). Horrible traffic...entirely spanish speaking..absoultely no topography...no trees and parks...no seasons.

I am 31, going through a divorce and decided I no longer have to stay here. I've been wanting to move for years and now I finally am! I have my heart set on the weston area of Cary. I love to run and fell in love with the trails of Crabtree park and Umstead state park. I'm looking forward to all the hiking I will do with my dog. Problem is...that's all i've really thought of. I love the outdoors, but will be moving completely by myself..not knowing a soul. I am also leaving a very high paying job, which makes me a little nervous, but I just know I can't stay in Miami any longer. I've always known that.

So tell me...will I be able to meet other single 30 somethings to spend time with? Is there other things to do other than outdoorsy type things? All those "Cary is boring" blogs have made me nervous. Should I consider Raleigh? I'm just skeptical because then I'm back in the city life, which I'm desperately trying to escape. Oh yeah, and I don' have a job yet..HELP!

I am single and live between Raleigh and Miami Beach. If you in fact like "the Beach" as in you like the atmosphere in the city of Miami Beach (as opposed to the strip of sand itself), you will most likely not like living in Cary. I'd suggest looking inside the beltline near downtown, Cameron Village or 5 Points. Amazingly, and to the surprise of many in the suburbs, the Greenway actually makes its way close to downtown on the East side of the neighborhoods at 5 Points. it also connects near NC State just to the SW of Downtown. This will allow you to have the old school urban feeling that you might enjoy on the Beach (without the hassles) while still allowing you an outlet to connect to the greenways and parks. Besides that, getting to the parks in any direction is easier from downtown than it is from one specific suburban location. Umstead Park is just a ten minute drive from Cameron Village via Wade Ave & I40. It's actually easier to access from downtown than it is from many parts of Cary. You will pay a premium to live in town but it will be nothing compared to the cost of living in Miami.
I hope this helps and welcome to the area.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 PM

217 posts, read 1,117,352 times
Default Not that bad

I lived in Cary as a single person for 4 years. It really was not that bad. The coolest bar / place to hang out in Cary, in my opinion, was the Hibernian Irish Pub on Kildaire Farm Road. Also, as others have said, Cary is only 10-15 from Glenwood South area in Raleigh. It was actually quicker for me to get downtown from Cary than it was for some of my friends who lived in Raleigh.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_bear View Post
I live in Cary and go out in Raleigh,downtown raleigh is only 10 min drive from weston if not less. Cary is a better place to live than Raleigh is.
Oh, I completely disagree with this statement. As a single person who splits time between Miami Beach and Raleigh, I am betting that Raleigh will be a better fit and balance. If I were moving to Raleigh from Miami and was single, I'd concentrate on Cameron Village to Glenwood South or around the North Hills area. From these areas, one could be at parks in the city or local links to the greenway as well as only being 10 minutes from the entrance to Umstead.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Oh, I completely disagree with this statement. As a single person who splits time between Miami Beach and Raleigh, I am betting that Raleigh will be a better fit and balance. If I were moving to Raleigh from Miami and was single, I'd concentrate on Cameron Village to Glenwood South or around the North Hills area. From these areas, one could be at parks in the city or local links to the greenway as well as only being 10 minutes from the entrance to Umstead.
Absolutely! Couldn't have said it better.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:41 PM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
I've never lived in Miami, but I've visited often, and lived (as a single 30-something) in Los Angeles, DC, and Atlanta...

Trust me...the Triangle does NOT have the singles scenes you'll find in those cities.

Compared to any of them, as well as, Miami, yes, Cary is boring. Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

Don't get me wrong...the Triangle is a lovely place to live, but fun for singles? I think now.

For me, however, 'boring' is a small price to pay for an overall 'lovely place to live'.

(If anyone tells you the Triangle is an awesome place for 30-something singles, ask them where they've lived recently, so you know what they're comparing it to.)

Old 12-04-2007, 10:18 PM

I live in both Miami Beach and Raleigh. I have fun in both places and don't lack for a social scene in either.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:12 AM

460 posts, read 1,769,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I live in both Miami Beach and Raleigh. I have fun in both places and don't lack for a social scene in either.
Raleigh has a 'social' scene. Just not much of a 'singles' scene. (imo)

And by 'singles scene', I don't mean 'pick up joints'. In other markets, there are simply more single people 'out and about', as opposed to young families.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:06 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
Raleigh has a 'social' scene. Just not much of a 'singles' scene. (imo)

And by 'singles scene', I don't mean 'pick up joints'. In other markets, there are simply more single people 'out and about', as opposed to young families.
Give this Gurl a lolly-pop. I've been saying this since I've been here (11 months) but some didn't seem to understand. The 'singles scene' here requires you to work much harder and requires you to have a lot of luck on your side as opposed to other markets, some even the size of the Raliegh/Durham/Chapel Hill market. This is a young families/young non-married couples market with a small smattering of 'true singles' (individuals that do not have a b/girlfriend) sprinkled all over the market.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:23 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,968,917 times
I moved from Miami to Raleigh when I was 20 and have spent about 10 years ago. I love both cities and both have great things to offer.

While Miami may have more of a night life and singles scene, I have never had a lack of a social life or things to do in the area. There are many great activities.... the outdoors, cultural sites, restaurants and places to meet.

So yes, it does require more effort than in Miami but if you are willing to try its a great place to live and meet people. Those people you do meet are also more likely to be polite and friendly, which took some getting used to when I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary