Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,140 times

Advertisements

I live in Michigan and have been looking into moving to the Raleigh area next year. I've never visited but have been looking up alot of information online about the state/city and it sounds appealing to me. I'll be looking to rent and want to be close to EVERYTHING Im 26 and single so Im looking for an area that is near entertainment, resturaunts, NIGHT LIFE, shopping, parks/lake... I want a trendy, inexpensive area with diversity. If anyone can throw some areas, street names at me I would really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:11 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
I live in Michigan and have been looking into moving to the Raleigh area next year. I've never visited but have been looking up alot of information online about the state/city and it sounds appealing to me. I'll be looking to rent and want to be close to EVERYTHING Im 26 and single so Im looking for an area that is near entertainment, resturaunts, NIGHT LIFE, shopping, parks/lake... I want a trendy, inexpensive area with diversity. If anyone can throw some areas, street names at me I would really appreciate it.
You lost me at "inexpensive".
Otherwise, I'd point you to 712 Tucker apartments in Glenwood South.
You might want to check out the collection of post war apartments across from St. Mary's college on Hillsborough St. or the Raleigh Apartments between Glenwood South and Cameron Village. That one's on Peace Street.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 6,140 times
yea inexpensive is a lil too subjective I guess...well lets say I'll just have graduated with a degree in Medical Assistanting and wont be making tons of money so something a recent college graduate could afford?!?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:31 PM

206 posts, read 596,835 times
Give us a number. What do you pay in rent now? What do you want to be paying in Raleigh?

Old 06-03-2009, 06:26 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Austin, Texas.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:58 AM

23 posts, read 69,121 times
Hey there, I'm in the same boat as you, coming from Mass. I'm not single but my fiance and I are looking for a similar living condition. Visit the area to get a feel for it, I think you will like it. A really cool area I came across was up near the airport, its called Briar Creek or something like that. Tons of really upscale new shopping and living. It was a bit out of my budget but I'm not sure what you will be doing/have a job locked down, or what you are willing to pay.

Another fun place was North Hills, located right of the main highway that goes around Raleigh. North Hills had some fun restaurants and shops. I don't know much about the club scene, it's not really my thing so I didn't check it out. From what I have seen downtown does not offer as much as these new Plaza/Community areas like Briar Creek.

One thing I noticed about Raleigh is if you look at it on the map the distance is deceiving. I found everything in the area much closer than it looked on the map , so don't be discouraged if the apartment you want is not right in the middle of the social areas. Also, I found the online pictures for a lot of the apartments do not properly represent the facility. Some of the places I saw that looked bad online were actually amazing and vice versa. I visited a few of the "Camden" apartments and they were really nice for around $800-$1000. When you visit and go to look at apartments, don't expect to get any solid answers about rates unless you plan on moving withing the month, you will simply hear alot of "rates will be differnent depending on how the market is when you want to start renting".

If you are like me and hate the winter, take a visit to Raleigh when it starts to get cold or in early spring. I was last in Raleigh in late Feb and it was like 68 and I saw some flowers, it felt soooo good.

Good Luck

Last edited by RedSawx; 06-03-2009 at 09:21 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM

84 posts, read 155,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSawx View Post

One thing I noticed about Raleigh is if you look at it on the map the distance is deceiving. I found everything in the area much closer than it looked on the map , so don't be discouraged if the apartment you want is not right in the middle of the social areas.
This is one of the most important things to learn about Central NC. Pretty much anything you will ever need is within a 10-15 minute drive.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Yes, "close to everything" means different things down here. Do you mean 5-10-15 minute drive or 5-10-15 minute walk?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:26 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,074 times
My son is engaged to a girl that moved here from Michigan. She is about you're age and loves it here. They would never move back to Michigan. They are getting married this July though in Henderson Castle in Michigan, then will be right back in Raleigh. They are always at the bech and she couldn't do that in Michigan. The Glenwood South area would be good to check, and depending on your price point maybe in and around the five points, cameron village area, and even North Hills. Sometimes you find a cute little townhome, bungalow instead of going with just an apartment community. There are lots of rents out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary