Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Forums now officially "Lame"
Yep 38 61.29%
Not yet 18 29.03%
Huh, Internets? 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times

Advertisements

I really don't think it's that much different? I actually try to answer posts with things that I think might help when I can, and while there ARE multiple posts on the same topic all the time, there are PLENTY of posts that aren't. I just have have so much less time now that the pool has opened (I'm on the board and it's almost like a full time job in and of itself)!

Last edited by lamishra; 06-03-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 PM

305 posts, read 713,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
I still consider it a valuable resource at times, but I don't care for the moderation at all.
Amen to that.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Regarding the search feature, my view is that this is a discussion forum, not an encyclopedia. People come here to talk, not to look things up. That's why we're here.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:36 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I'm laughing because I'm a member of another forum with just about 15 members--people who have known each other over the last 5 - 10 yrs. Anyway there are always one or two of these folks who ask really innane questions--ones that a Google search would answer in the time they took to actually post their question.

Just last week one gal posted one of her typical questions that no one would have the answer to. I suggested that a Google search (this time pertaining to a specific printer driver she was looking for) could probably turn up the answer quickly and mentioned that works for me 99% of the time. This woman is too lazy to Google and wants others to do the work for her (she has admitted in the past, though no one seems to remember that).

And just so you know it isn't only on City-Data that one can meet crazies: one of the other members on this private forum went postal and started lecturing (me) and eventually went into rabid mouth frothing over my rudeness of suggesting that Google be used as a tool for such a question. The nerve of me to suggest such a thing (again). I won't even tell you the language that was used...but think of the worst language you can imagine and you'll be pretty spot-on to what she said to me (all in CAPS, no less)!

Yes, I'm a big Googler. I research everything or look it up if I don't know. However, I rely on the opinions and expertise of the folks on City-Data for local resources and companies and 'gotchas' I need to be aware of. That I cannot get from doing a Google search. I also make use of the C-D search function, but sometimes the information is outdated and I don't typically rely on data more than a year or 2 old without at least checking to see what the current members have to say. Then I utilize ALL available data/information that I've gathered.

Anyway...after last week's debacle over the 'G' word I learned that truth is indeed stranger than fiction!
You should link them: Let me google that for you

Snarky ;D

Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 AM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Thanks Tabbcat! I saw that a few posts above (maybe a page now) and LOLOL'd. I will remember that--in fact I've already bookmarked it.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:35 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Ok, it seems all the great posters are popping up in this thread! Where have you been? Please come back. Enough of the caty remarks I'm seeing lately. I find it amazing that specific posters just go on like it doesn't bother them. Come on guys, let's be a happy family.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:30 AM

40 posts, read 121,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Ok, it seems all the great posters are popping up in this thread! Where have you been? Please come back. Enough of the caty remarks I'm seeing lately.
Mission almost accomplished

Old 06-04-2009, 11:17 AM

820 posts, read 2,788,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
3. I stopped spending so much time here because there are too many aggressive, irritating personalities who insist on ruining what could be a pleasant, helpful atmosphere. What's worse is that some of these people think they are being helpful, but their word choice and tone creates a hostile environment. I found it extremely upsetting and realized that the negative atmosphere began to affect my overall happiness. Life is too short for that. I found that once I started to spend less time here, my blood pressure lowered and I was a much happier individual. I still stop by occasionally to check on the people I like, answer direct messages, and see if there are any threads in which I may be able to offer assistance, but all in all I'd rather spend my on-line time elsewhere.
Sadly this is the case with most every online community I participate and I now only occasionally pop in to see if I have missed anything in all four. I realized that I was spending to much time wondering WHY people have these people must have these character traits when protected by the anonymity of the internet. The ignore feature helps in some areas but then again there is a point where even that won't due. People need to think more before they post, be more considerate, and stop saying things they'd never say to someone else face to face especially in the same tones often displayed here.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,667 times
I rarely come on here anymore since a lot of things are geared toward Raleigh or Cary. But go and visit the political forum, relationship forum or entertainment forum. They are active and lively, esp the political one.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,465,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I rarely come on here anymore since a lot of things are geared toward Raleigh or Cary.
I agree! I live in Durham and got tired of Durham-bashing, so don't visit as much as I once did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary