Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would report the dogs, even though the shelters are full and overrun with animals from people dumping their pets in hard economic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Wow, I can't believe how harsh some of you people are around here. If you don't want to give them money, then don't. But to scream at them, throw things at them, etc.... that's just cruel. With budgets being slashed all the time, many mental health services are gone. I used to frequently talk to a panhandler in a wheelchair with no legs. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he was an Iraqi war vet who basically said the government left him high and dry. That is happening all the time. Some of you people need to have a little more compassion. I wonder and worry about our society when people laugh about panhandlers, whether or not they are "pulling a scam".
Thank you! I am amazed at how mean people on here are about this. Don't give them money if you don't want, but why are you so concerned and critical if others do? Who cares if they go buy cigarettes with it? You shouldn't if the donor doesn't!

BTW, rapes, assaults and robberies happen frequently in homeless shelters. I don't think the issue is most of them not knowing where the shelters are. Sometimes they feel safer on the streets.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:47 PM

22 posts, read 41,767 times
Reading this thread has been a little disheartening for me, and I hope that I am not alone in this feeling.

Generalizations can be made about the panhandlers, and many of these generalizations are probably true. Rather than being ignored, I think that these generalizations should be taken into consideration when making public or personal decisions. I choose not to give my donations through the window of my car, and I have made this choice based on a generalization of my past experiences.

However, it must not be forgotten that an individual panhandler is a person, and not a generalization. A few seconds of observation through your windshield does not make you an expert on their existence. What is to be gained from a personal attack or a joke at their expense?

As for the dog, it is possible that you do not know the whole story. It is important to weigh the negative and unintended actions that a call to the authorities might cause.

In these days, we need to have more compassion for each other. Simple indifference may be preferable to the response that this thread seems to have elicited.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:53 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
If you don't want to give them money, then don't. But to scream at them, throw things at them, etc....
Lest I get a reputation -- the bottle throwing comment was a joke. I do not condone throwing bottles at homeless or homeful people.

If I were in the position of the OP, I would probably have given the homeless lady a bottle for herself and another one for the dog. I wouldn't want to offend someone by making them think I care more about their dog than them.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:15 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
This is quite the moral dilemma. Most of us want to help, don't want to be taken by a scam, but don't want to enable drug and alcohol use. Here's what I do:

In my wallet, I carry a couple of copies of a list of local resources for the homeless. I copied it straight out of a local publication. It has a heading for "Shelter" and one for "Food." Under each are names, addresses & phone numbers for at least one for each city (Durham, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill). If someone who appears to be homeless tries to solicit money from me, I give them that instead, express my concern for them, and wish them well. I donate both my time and some money to a couple of local charities that work with the homeless. Unfortunately, I know from some of my work with a couple of these groups that a lot of the money you give them directly is spent on drugs and cigarettes, or they're begging because it's easier than working. I know some folks think that giving them gift certificates from fast food restaurants is great because they can use it for food. Sadly, a lot of them sell these below face value to get cash for booze and cigarettes and drugs. I would rather direct people who really need help to the places that can safely offer them help.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM

158 posts, read 472,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Who cares if they go buy cigarettes with it?
Anyone who's interests are good natured? Why would you support anyone's addiction? Buying someone drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes is supporting a harmful habit which is slowly killing them. Whether you are directly or indirectly supplying them, it doesn't matter. I would hope everyone cares about that?

Quote:
BTW, rapes, assaults and robberies happen frequently in homeless shelters.
Maybe this is because shelters lack the funding from un-informed roadside donation makers.

The bottom line is if a person who is down on their luck wants to make a better life for themselves, panhandling is NOT the way to go about it. This isn't an issue about a lack of compassion, this is an issue of not using the system we have in place.

Read this article on what some panhandlers are making. It is indeed a tax free business for some. I stand by saying that if you truly want to help someone, donate to a shelter or charity. Donating directly to a panhandler is in fact hurting the situation.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:30 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
bravo, ahn. You're probably spitting into the wind, but bravo anyway.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
Anyone who's interests are good natured? Why would you support anyone's addiction? Buying someone drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes is supporting a harmful habit which is slowly killing them. Whether you are directly or indirectly supplying them, it doesn't matter. I would hope everyone cares about that?

Maybe this is because shelters lack the funding from un-informed roadside donation makers.

The bottom line is if a person who is down on their luck wants to make a better life for themselves, panhandling is NOT the way to go about it. This isn't an issue about a lack of compassion, this is an issue of not using the system we have in place.

Read this article on what some panhandlers are making. It is indeed a tax free business for some. I stand by saying that if you truly want to help someone, donate to a shelter or charity. Donating directly to a panhandler is in fact hurting the situation.
1. I don't care if they spend their money on cigarettes. They are adults, and can decide for themselves if they want to smoke, just like the rest of adult America. They are not children, just homeless. Is the person giving you money (your boss) making sure you don't smoke? By your account, any employer paying a smoker a salary is implicit in their smoking?

2. Rape in shelters is not caused by people giving money out the window. That is the most ridiculous thing I've read in a long time and I find it hard to believe even you believe that. People giving out the window are not giving in place of other donations, they are giving in addition. There is no way someone giving 50 cents or $2 out a window is then going home and thinking "OK, I was going to give $50 to a shelter, but now it is only going to be $48). The shelters are underfunded, but it is not the fault of those trying to help in other ways.

3. I have read articles before on how much some panhandlers make and indeed some make a lot. Indeed, for some it's a scam. But here's the thing you're missing: if someone decides to give a scammer $1 that is their choice as an adult. That is perhaps a risk they are willing to take. Their risk. Some people give to charities where most $$ goes to administrative costs and not the actual charity. Some people give nothing to any charity at all. Some give to many charities and also hand $1 out the window sometimes. Personal decisions.

All this attacking of people who are trying to do good is out of line. There are FAR more people out there willing to do nothing. Those are the ones to question, not those who you apparently feel should be policed by you.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM

158 posts, read 472,886 times
Quote:
1. I don't care if they spend their money on cigarettes.
Correction, your money.

Do you care if they spend 'your' money on alcohol? Marijuana? Crack? Heroine? You've mentioned that you don't care if they buy cigarettes. I'm curious where you draw your line?

I guess ignorance is bliss... but the reality is that your actions do have consequences. I'll spare you on the concept of 'many people giving a little makes a lot' as it's apparent you've thought this one through.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
Correction, your money.

Do you care if they spend 'your' money on alcohol? Marijuana? Crack? Heroine? You've mentioned that you don't care if they buy cigarettes. I'm curious where you draw your line?

I guess ignorance is bliss... but the reality is that your actions do have consequences. I'll spare you on the concept of 'many people giving a little makes a lot' as it's apparent you've thought this one through.
I've noticed you like to make personal attacks. Not very kindly, but I won't be doing the same.

No, it's not MY money. When I pay employees, it ceases being MY money when it is given to them. When I give MY money to someone--anyone--as a gift (for a wedding, for a bar mitzvah, to a homeless person) it is no longer my money once I give it.

I don't want the money I give going to illegal things. I would not knowingly give to for that purpose. I don't know if it is going to that. But I also don't know if the HS senior down the street used the money I gave him on cocaine or marajuana. There's no way for me to know. Not every senior in HS does drugs. Not every homeless person does crack. You are making sweeping generalizations.

As for cigarettes again, I don't mind at all if that's what it's being used for. They are legal and they are adults.

My actions do have consequences. As I've already said, I don't give to people out the window. HOwever, that is my personal decision. I do not criticize those who do. They can spend their money how they like. At least they are trying to help those in need, which is more than a lot of America can say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary