Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
You sound rather fickle to me.
Holly Springs isn't as nice as Apex.
neither is nearly as nice as Mebane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:24 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
I think Holly Springs is a great place to live too. We lived there for 3 years, until moving out of state in April. The library/ cultural center is wonderful, the Christmas parade is a lot of fun, and its proximity to Cary is just right, IMO. My kids attended Holly Grove Elementary, which is an excellent school. If we were to move back to NC, we would definitely buy in Holly Springs again...

Old 06-06-2009, 06:28 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Default Taking a trip to Cary/Holly

Just found this thread as I prepare for a trip to Cary to see my son. Since I still have to earn a living I'm wondering how you all found jobs/income in the area, esp those of you living in Holly Springs, which sounds like a nice area.

Is there more of a central focus point to the town than there is in Cary? How far driving to Cary and Raleigh?

I hate to ask this but....any traumatic weather patterns in that area?

Thanks for any info as I get ready to visit...

NewEnglGirl

Old 06-06-2009, 06:42 AM

225 posts, read 574,705 times
Holly Springs is approximately 10.7 miles Outside the Beltline. Charlton Dude can confirm.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,394,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post
Holly Springs is approximately 10.7 miles Outside the Beltline. Charlton Dude can confirm.
Holly Springs to Raleigh is 18.6 miles. Holly Springs to the nearest corner of 440 is 12.6 miles. There is not a route to get from Holly Springs to 440 in less than a dozen miles. You could have easily calculated that by using google maps, as it has a great drag and drop feature. Maybe you used Mapquest to calculate a shorter distance, but I find MQ to be wrong a lot.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
You sound rather fickle to me.
Nope. Just incredibly open minded to new things and new areas.

Quote:
Holly Springs isn't as nice as Apex.
Apex is not all that bad, but I think Holly Springs is better. Mainly because Apex seems to have a lot of development issues (IE abandoned developments), whereas Holly Springs does not. I also do not care for the Apex downtown area. They let the buildings go and they no longer look good. Paint is pealing and there is a lot of rot. They should spend some money to fix it up. It could be really nice, although very small, if they fixed up the buildings that are falling apart. You have to see some of them in person to have a good idea of what I am talking about. Pictures do show the true condition.

Last edited by Charlton Dude; 06-06-2009 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: Fixed Typo

Old 06-06-2009, 08:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I think the people of Apex have good reason to be proud of their downtown area. It is probably the nicest downtown area of all the smaller towns that surround Raleigh.

Pictures of Historic Downtown Apex

I like Holly Springs too. I go to the brewery there from time to time and have checked out their modest farmer's market. Unfortunately Holly Springs does not have anything that can be described as a real downtown area. I went to take pictures of it once but outside of the cultural center there wasn't much else there or going on. It is still a great palce to live.

In terms of development issues, it is more accurate to say both Apex and Holly Springs face their own set of challenges. The planning approach and development problems are quite similar in both areas. I know this to be a fact.

In the end, many people enjoy living in either area and you simply need to pick the one that is best for you. But I still suggest people check out downtown Apex if you are in the area. It is a nice treat!

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 06-06-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 08:40 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
neither is nearly as nice as Mebane
I have never been to Holly Springs and was going to ask if it was a lot like Mebane? But I see NRG mentioned that there is no real downtown, which Mebane definitely has. So maybe it's a combo of Holly Springs and Apex, or just a smaller Apex? I've never been to Fuquay-Varina either. Just trying to get a feel of the towns compared to the ones I know, Hillsborough and Mebane.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
I have never been to Holly Springs and was going to ask if it was a lot like Mebane? But I see NRG mentioned that there is no real downtown, which Mebane definitely has. So maybe it's a combo of Holly Springs and Apex, or just a smaller Apex? I've never been to Fuquay-Varina either. Just trying to get a feel of the towns compared to the ones I know, Hillsborough and Mebane.
Holly Springs has some beautifully designed neighborhoods, golf courses, rolling hills and a lot of natural settings. There is no downtown to speak of. There is a lot of convenient shopping coming in and there is actually some good employment there.

Apex is a mini Cary, but has not developed itself to the level of Cary yet. It got stuck a little bit with the economy. Just at the time they were trying to build it out, things slowed down. Once things pick up a bit, it will get better. You can find some really good country land in parts of Apex. Downtown is small, but semi-quaint. The buildings are in serious need of repair, but once fixed up would be fairly nice. It's no Hendersonville by any stretch of the imagination. Blink and you will miss it.

Fuquay-Varina is more of a country setting with new quality subdivisions along with many well kept established properties. It actually has 2 downtown areas and a main shopping area with just about everything you can think of. Traffic is awful in the main shopping area (think Glenwood Ave), however once you are off the main road it is all beautiful winding country roads.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Default re: Cary visit in June

Coming to Cary in July. Anyone have any good ideas about what I should check out (not so much sightseeing, but more like parks, special affordable neat stores, walking trails, public transport, etc). I have a realtor lined up to show a few houses. On my list is Jordan Hall, the Rec Dept and the Sr. Center. Anything else, or in Raleigh?

Is it far to the Durham Perf Arts Center (in downtown Durham?)

Last edited by RiverBird; 06-11-2009 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: changed date of visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary