U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:02 PM

551 posts, read 676,755 times

Advertisements

Dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,788,187 times
i'd rather feed squirrels than birds. they're cuter, smarter, and don't poop all over my car.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 AM

460 posts, read 843,619 times
I feed both. Have a "squirrel diner" where they have to lift the lid of the container to get the goods (gotta make them work for it!)
No more poop around my jeep than normal...now my deck and fence? That's another story

Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 AM

331 posts, read 901,322 times
I love this thread! We have bird feeders which of course attracted the squirrels. We have a german shepherd and a chow/shepherd and they sit at the back door waiting and watching. When they see the squirrels, they start whining. We let them out and ......BUH BYE squirrels.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 AM
rfb

1,349 posts, read 3,289,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
Also a big fan of the hot suet!
I've yet to find a seed the grackles won't eat. I probably should have gone with the feeders with the collapsable perch vs the ones where their weight makes the outside of the feeder 'drop'...they just hang on to the outside and squeeze their beaks through.
What seed combo do u use? Thought about just a sunflower/safflower mix but don't want to limit the variety of visitors (or will it?) they all love the Wild bird store blend but they were killing 3 tubes a day!?!?
Lets see....
  • Two thistle feeders (3ft tubes). It helps keep the goldfinches away from my other feeders (they are beautiful birds, by really messy eaters)
  • A 10lb feeder with a songbird mix. I use Lyric from Wildbirds Unlimited, but other blends would probably work just as well.
  • A 10lb feeder with sunflower hearts. I use this at a corner of my deck. An all-around favorite (no surprise there :-), especially of the bluebirds who seem to like it more than mealworms. This is the one over which I battle the squirrels the most.
  • Two suet feeders (with hot-pepper suet)
  • A hummingbird feeder (hummzinger brand).
I fill most on a weekly basis, except the thistle feeders which I sometimes need to fill twice a week.

For the grackles, I just use feeders that are too small for them, but large enough for the songbirds. I haven't had any problem with them since swapping out my feeders close to 10 years ago.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 AM

29 posts, read 51,204 times
We were having the same problem until we purchased a baffle from Lowes Home Improvement about two weeks ago. It is working like a dream and the squirrels are reduced to grovelling on the ground for spilt seed.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:33 AM

460 posts, read 843,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Lets see....
  • Two thistle feeders (3ft tubes). It helps keep the goldfinches away from my other feeders (they are beautiful birds, by really messy eaters)
  • A 10lb feeder with a songbird mix. I use Lyric from Wildbirds Unlimited, but other blends would probably work just as well.
  • A 10lb feeder with sunflower hearts. I use this at a corner of my deck. An all-around favorite (no surprise there :-), especially of the bluebirds who seem to like it more than mealworms. This is the one over which I battle the squirrels the most.
  • Two suet feeders (with hot-pepper suet)
  • A hummingbird feeder (hummzinger brand).
I fill most on a weekly basis, except the thistle feeders which I sometimes need to fill twice a week.

For the grackles, I just use feeders that are too small for them, but large enough for the songbirds. I haven't had any problem with them since swapping out my feeders close to 10 years ago.
Nice!
I'll have to try the sunflower hearts...although mealworms didn't attract the bluebirds (but the brown thrashers and robins were appreciative) but maybe my yard/area isn't suitable.
Not sure of the size of mine but I have a smaller Squirrel Buster out front and the grackles still hang on it and get what they want (getting a lot of exercise shoo'ing them!). It has a mix seed. Also a thistle in the tree out front.
Out back I have 2 bigger Squirrel Busters with mix, a 'box/grill thingy' that I can put those big bird seed cakes in (which I douse with the hot liquid), a suet holder, bird bath and the squirrel diner. Oh and a double hook for fruit that the squirrels and catbirds like.
I usually fill everything on Tuesdays and Fridays but fill the smaller one out front more regularly. I only have to fill the thistle feeders once a week.
Its been cool the last week or so seeing all the mamas/papas and babies out and about...esp. 'my' red bellied woodpeckers.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 AM

7,706 posts, read 10,502,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
I love this thread! We have bird feeders which of course attracted the squirrels. We have a german shepherd and a chow/shepherd and they sit at the back door waiting and watching. When they see the squirrels, they start whining. We let them out and ......BUH BYE squirrels.
Very good way to reduce the squirrel traffic..

What do YOU do with the ones they catch?
Our Plott hound usually brings us 1 or 2 a month...

Not sure if they are good for fryin' or if I should make a stew?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:49 AM

191 posts, read 397,965 times
I just want to know if that squirrel in the video can be trained to steal diamonds and what he charges?

Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 AM

331 posts, read 901,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Very good way to reduce the squirrel traffic..

What do YOU do with the ones they catch?
Our Plott hound usually brings us 1 or 2 a month...

Not sure if they are good for fryin' or if I should make a stew?

They havent caught one yet but I told my husband I do NOT want to know when they do catch one and he better dispose of it without me ever seeing it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary