Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM

32 posts, read 80,516 times

Advertisements

The Grocery Bag at the intersection of highway 42 and Buffaloe Road outside of Clayton. Southern style hotdogs at their best. This place is also known as Percy Flowers Store to most locals.
Millies in Smithfield on Brightleaf Blvd is next in line. Awesome dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 AM

8,158 posts, read 10,869,034 times
A big YES to The Grocery Bag hot dogs. I hold my ground to the regional hot dogs. No kosher dogs for me thanks Also Roast Grill as already mentioned, Char Grill has a decent hotdog, The Dog House in Durham, Tookies in Raleigh, Aubrey's Grill in Wendell. I wish some of you folks had the opportunity to eat a dog at either Palmetto's on Sallisbury St. or Longview Pharmacy before they closed. Both truely had a great hotdog.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:14 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,065,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonemb View Post
O'Dwyers in Wake Forest has garbage plates. They are good, but they aren't Nick Tahous good.

Amen...nothing like the original...

Blinco's has one they call a Hurricane plate, also not bad but not the orig

Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,910,341 times
Roast Grill is good, Jones Lunch in Clayton is really good. The guy at Lowe's is just a Sabrett Hot Dog guy (they are pretty good).

Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,037,185 times
Default reply

add The Hamburger Hut on West Morgan, Jerry's on Whitaker Mill and the great Dick's in Wilson(been open since like 1926. All of these are very good. As is Tookie's Grill at Seaboard Station. All of these serve the classic, old school eastern north carolina style hotdog.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 9,706 times
Depends on the kind of "dog" you want. Snoopy's is good, CharGrill has the red hotdogs (which I hate, but their chili is great); Pharoahs is good. For a more "Northern" dog, the hot dog carts actually have really good ones, not sure who might have 'kraut. Cloos is great, their coney island special is soooo good, and if you are ever at Carolina Beach, try the Trolley Stop. The Nuclear there (deli mustard, melted cheese & jalopenos) is wonderful. And if Snoopy's doesn't fill you up, go on Tuesdays either there or Pharoahs, they have 99 cent dog days then.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:52 AM

820 posts, read 2,781,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl59 View Post
Depends on the kind of "dog" you want. Snoopy's is good, CharGrill has the red hotdogs (which I hate, but their chili is great); Pharoahs is good. For a more "Northern" dog, the hot dog carts actually have really good ones, not sure who might have 'kraut. Cloos is great, their coney island special is soooo good, and if you are ever at Carolina Beach, try the Trolley Stop. The Nuclear there (deli mustard, melted cheese & jalopenos) is wonderful. And if Snoopy's doesn't fill you up, go on Tuesdays either there or Pharoahs, they have 99 cent dog days then.
This Girl knows what she is talking about -except she's hating on the red hot dogs

I say Cloos Coney Island is my favorite. I love the addition of the ground beef to the Coney!

Shorty's Hot Dogs in downtown WakeForest has been around since my parents were kids so they're another good one. I haven't been there in years but I have to assume they are still around.

The Trolley Stops in Wrightsille, Wilmington, and Carolina Beach are awesome. I go for the surfer: bacon bits, cheese, and deli mustard.

I've been meaning to try the hot dog Five Guys has. I heard it's decent.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 AM

820 posts, read 2,781,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
add The Hamburger Hut on West Morgan, Jerry's on Whitaker Mill and the great Dick's in Wilson(been open since like 1926. All of these are very good. As is Tookie's Grill at Seaboard Station. All of these serve the classic, old school eastern north carolina style hotdog.
Hold the phone. Is this the Hamburger Hut I think you're talking about? We used to go there for lunch from Broughton like 18 years ago!

Old 08-15-2009, 10:26 AM
DPK

4,593 posts, read 5,689,483 times
The Roast Grill, mmmm,

Old 08-15-2009, 01:58 PM

51 posts, read 411,996 times
Believe it or not, the hot dog guys at all the Triangle Lowe's Home Improvement stores are really good! The one in West Raleigh off Glenwood is one of the best, with the guy off Capital a close second. Go there sometimes just for the hot dog if I need a quick lunch at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary