Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:12 PM
anj anj started this thread

41 posts, read 146,887 times

Advertisements

Do the chapel hill schools (carrboro) seem to redistrict as much as wake county? Trying to decide if Chapel Hill or Cary is our final destination. My son is 7 and daughter 5 with a speech and language delay. We are coming to visit the area again next week!! Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 06:21 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
Cary tends to redistrict more than chapel hill schools because fewer people (by far) are moving into chapel hill. In other words, there is less space for new developments in the chapel hill area (it is relatively built out) and new developments are going up all over cary, thus more people and more need to redistrict. Both school systems are going to have excellent programs for your daughter, but she is less likely to be redistricted in chapel hill.

Good luck
Leigh

Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 PM

Smile for leighbe

Thanks as always for your reply. I truly appreciate your help. Have a good night! Anj

Old 09-28-2006, 09:17 PM

54 posts, read 255,369 times
Default Year Round Also?

Does Chapel Hill area also have to deal with the year round schools?

thanks

Old 09-29-2006, 05:22 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
I would choose Chapel Hill Schools hands down.

I am homeschooling this year directly as a result of the Wake County public schools refusing to provide my daughter with the speech therapy & occupational therapy she needs. It is VERY hard to get qualified for special needs services in Wake County. Now I get to pay $1300 a month for private therapies. So much for your school tax dollars at work---Wake County is SO overburdened with students, they simply don't have the time or inclination to serve their special needs students.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherRelocatingNYer View Post
Does Chapel Hill area also have to deal with the year round schools?

thanks
No Year Round Schools in Chapel Hill. They are smaller & are not dealing with the same overcrowding and explosive, uncontrolled growth the WCPSS is dealing with.

Old 09-29-2006, 05:56 AM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I would choose Chapel Hill Schools hands down.

I am homeschooling this year directly as a result of the Wake County public schools refusing to provide my daughter with the speech therapy & occupational therapy she needs. It is VERY hard to get qualified for special needs services in Wake County. Now I get to pay $1300 a month for private therapies. So much for your school tax dollars at work---Wake County is SO overburdened with students, they simply don't have the time or inclination to serve their special needs students.
That is sad. I have an LD child who recieves all of your mentioned therapies here in NJ. When I spoke to "Wake" school people, they told me to bring the IEP and he would recieve all services he is recieving now. Geez, if a kid needs special services, he/she needs special services period. I feel bad for you because I understand how hard it is to have a child with special needs, It is not easy..Can you get these services from your health insurance?

Old 09-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj View Post
That is sad. I have an LD child who recieves all of your mentioned therapies here in NJ. When I spoke to "Wake" school people, they told me to bring the IEP and he would recieve all services he is recieving now. Geez, if a kid needs special services, he/she needs special services period. I feel bad for you because I understand how hard it is to have a child with special needs, It is not easy..Can you get these services from your health insurance?
Nope, health insurance won't cover it either. People don't realize when your child is disabled and needs special services, you often have to fight really hard to get them what they need. Medical insurance doesn't cover speech or OT for "developmental" reasons, and if you aren't poor forget whatever the state can provide.

It's incredibly frustrating And as far as Wake County and IEPs, they reevaluate and change them periodically so just because a child qualifies now doesn't mean they can't "unqualify" them later on down the road. In my daughter's case the school flat out disagreed that she qualified, she wasn't "delayed" enough AND they claim it wasn't affecting her academic performance even though she was the "lowest performing" child in the class (this is the biggie....your kid has to be disabled AND YOU HAVE TO PROVE IT IS AFFECTING THEIR ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE). Otherwise, you are SOL.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:48 PM

Unhappy about receiving services in wake..

I am really sad to hear this as my daughter also needs speech OT and special ed services. I was also told that the schools in Wake would follow the IEP that I present, and they will continue the services recommended until they retest her. I do have to say that it seems that is the case here on LI..just because you qualify one year ..you may not the next. It is like pulling teeth and you really have to fight to be a good advocate for your child. It seems likely though with all the overcrowding @ Wake schools these children will be unfortunately overlooked. A MAJOR setback for me in condidering the move... Does anyone have any positive experiences with sp. ed. services in the county? Please let us know..Thank you!

Old 09-29-2006, 07:05 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Any other Counties near "Wake" with a good reputation for "special needs" children? We only have 1 chance to do this right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary