U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,680,351 times
I remember listening to Radio Caroline from when I was stationed in England from 1983 -85. That was a great station to listen to. They played a lot of great music and the only commercial you would hear was from Time-Life.[/quote]
Wow! Unreal! Where were you stationed?

I used to love hearing them say Radio Caroline, I was fascinated by the beautiful smooth American accents. At that time northern Uk did really have much exposure to anything American. We just loved the station, and were rooting for them when they said the navy was on their tail! They used to dock for supplies at the Isle of Man, do you know where that is? I also lived their for a short while.

Yrs earlier we had radio Luxenburg, do you remember that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Luxembourg_(English) Both stations played the best music months before we heard it anywhere else. The BBC was still kinda stodgy then and took a few more yrs to catch up to these guys. BTW - there's cool info on the web about Caroline, you should ck it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 PM

1,967 posts, read 559,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I remember listening to Radio Caroline from when I was stationed in England from 1983 -85. That was a great station to listen to. They played a lot of great music and the only commercial you would hear was from Time-Life.

Quote:
I used to love hearing them say Radio Caroline, I was fascinated by the beautiful smooth American accents. At that time northern Uk did really have much exposure to anything American. We just loved the station, and were rooting for them when they said the navy was on their tail! They used to dock for supplies at the Isle of Man, do you know where that is? I also lived their for a short while.

Yrs earlier we had radio Luxenburg, do you remember that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Luxembourg_(English) Both stations played the best music months before we heard it anywhere else. The BBC was still kinda stodgy then and took a few more yrs to catch up to these guys. BTW - there's cool info on the web about Caroline, you should ck it out!
[/quote]
Radio lux was before my time but I do remember people talking about them. I was at RAF Bentwaters in Suffolk. Neither of the BBC radio stations ever played good music at the time lol. There is a movie out right now based loosely on Radio Caroline. I havn't heard anything about it yet except for the commercial.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM

3,481 posts, read 3,680,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe530 View Post

Radio lux was before my time but I do remember people talking about them. I was at RAF Bentwaters in Suffolk. Neither of the BBC radio stations ever played good music at the time lol. There is a movie out right now based loosely on Radio Caroline. I havn't heard anything about it yet except for the commercial.[/quote]

You were at the UFO base! RAF Bentwaters RAF Woodbridge - Reunion Plans and Reports it happened in '80.
Yes, going to see the movie, looking forward to it!

I'm signing off for the night, great hearing from you!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM

1,967 posts, read 559,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Radio lux was before my time but I do remember people talking about them. I was at RAF Bentwaters in Suffolk. Neither of the BBC radio stations ever played good music at the time lol. There is a movie out right now based loosely on Radio Caroline. I havn't heard anything about it yet except for the commercial.
You were at the UFO base! RAF Bentwaters RAF Woodbridge - Reunion Plans and Reports it happened in '80.
Yes, going to see the movie, looking forward to it!

I'm signing off for the night, great hearing from you![/quote]

Yep, heard all about the stories. I was an sp as well. It was the lighthouse that they saw nothing more, unfortunately.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 AM

250 posts, read 262,004 times
So, anyone here listening to the new 95X (95.3 on the dial)? It's basically a new 96 Rock but their focus seems to be primarily on new music. Right now there's no commercials at all, only traffic reports and back-to-back music. Good to hear something different on the Triangle airwaves besides all the commercials and same-ole, same-ole on the other stations so I'm glad for that, although some of the music they're playing can get a little scary.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 AM

475 posts, read 785,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklh View Post
So, anyone here listening to the new 95X (95.3 on the dial)? It's basically a new 96 Rock but their focus seems to be primarily on new music. Right now there's no commercials at all, only traffic reports and back-to-back music. Good to hear something different on the Triangle airwaves besides all the commercials and same-ole, same-ole on the other stations so I'm glad for that, although some of the music they're playing can get a little scary.
Yes! I was so happy when 96.1 changed some time ago, but now they seem to have changed again and are playing stuff I don't want to hear - a lot of 80s music and the like. I'll admit that 95X can get a little too "hard" for me at times, but it's nice to have something to listen to when I'm not in the mood for NPR. I heard U2 on 95X this morning, which was a welcome sound.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 AM

8,216 posts, read 11,562,962 times
I wasn't aware there was a new station - I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 AM

1,617 posts, read 1,228,902 times
Same here....was not aware.

I've been contemplating subscribing to XM....Triangle area radio is pitiful. I've visited and lived in other places, and never seen a community with the terrible radio this area has.

What's the worst thing about living in the Triangle? Radio! LOL

Old 12-20-2012, 10:39 AM

594 posts, read 637,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
I made the jump to Sirius....worth the $15 a month for me.
I do not spend enough time in my car to spend $180/year for SirusXM. I cancelled last week because the renewal rate was $180. I received the following offer yesterday. $24.99 for 6 months. It pays to cancel at the end of the $24.99 package. They will offer you the same deal with about 7 days interruption in service. SirusXM is about the same as TWC. I hate both of them!

Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM
WDJ

278 posts, read 365,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
I do not spend enough time in my car to spend $180/year for SirusXM. I cancelled last week because the renewal rate was $180. I received the following offer yesterday. $24.99 for 6 months. It pays to cancel at the end of the $24.99 package. They will offer you the same deal with about 7 days interruption in service. SirusXM is about the same as TWC. I hate both of them!
I've been listening to Sirius exclusively ever since I moved into the area a few years ago. Every 5-6 months or so, I call up customer service to "cancel" so they can give me a promotional deal like 5 months for $20, or whatever their cheapest rate is. If you call a day or two before the end of your plan, there's no interruption in service. I've been doing this for quite some time now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary