Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:42 PM

519 posts, read 982,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Early in our marriage (remember, the one that happened within 3 months of meeting each other but that is still going strong after more than a decade and a half), my Southern husband informed me that Catholics were not Christians.

As one who was educated in her early years by strong and confident women in long black robes who each wore a gold ring on her finger to indicate they had given their entire lives to CHRIST, I was quite surprised.

I set him straight. Again, it's the Southern culture. I never blamed him personally.
Interesting... My grandmother was a devout Catholic. She never saw Catholics as Christians. Christians were Protestants. Catholics were Catholics. Christians used the King James Version of the Bible. Catholics used their own Bible. Christians used grape juice. Catholics used fermented grape juice.

She was also from western New York.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:50 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Interesting... My grandmother was a devout Catholic. She never saw Catholics as Christians. Christians were Protestants. Catholics were Catholics. Christians used the King James Version of the Bible. Catholics used their own Bible. Christians used grape juice. Catholics used fermented grape juice.

She was also from western New York.
That is exactly how most everyone that I know thinks about it. I have thought that Catholics were not Christians because I was taught that there is only one way to become a Christian. I am in no way saying anything negative about the Catholic church.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:53 PM

158 posts, read 472,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
That is exactly how most everyone that I know thinks about it. I have thought that Catholics were not Christians because I was taught that there is only one way to become a Christian. I am in no way saying anything negative about the Catholic church.
To be 'christian' means that you believe christ is god and you've accepted him into your heart. There are plenty of people that will argue 'how' to follow christ, but they're all still christians.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I don't think it is negative at all. Everyone has their personal views on religion. It is when people try to push those views on others or try to make people feel inferior because of those beliefs.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:20 PM

69 posts, read 156,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingyouth View Post
Just how are atheists labeling other people?
It's in the news all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
i think religion is a crock for a bunch of sheep who don't want to face death
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
that lady is crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
your neighbor is a nut case
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
I guess I agree there are crazy religious folks in these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaven View Post
Your neighbor is nuts. I'm not religious whatsoever

Old 06-10-2009, 02:25 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
Those were some super tolerant comments.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
So which one of those posters are atheists?

Old 06-10-2009, 02:37 PM

546 posts, read 1,678,970 times
I believe our quotes were not for the religious aspect, but for the fact the woman was stating the OP would not be accepted down here they did not belong to a church. Big difference from being intolerant about religious people. But then again, maybe some people can't figure out the difference

Old 06-10-2009, 02:46 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by askmisterbrown View Post
Well, the plot thickens! Your original post did not mention that your neighbor is Catholic. Yet she tells you that this is the Bible belt and you need to go to church! She doesn't understand what the Bible Belt has meant historically, and she certainly doesn't represent the Bible Belt.

Back in the old days, when this area was part of the Bible Belt, and before it was called "the Triangle," Catholics were as rare as hen's teeth. Raleigh's Sacred Heart Cathedral, seat of the bishop of North Carolina, had the distinction of being the second smallest Catholic cathedral in the country. (Maybe Alaska was the smallest.) As recently as the 1980s, I had to explain to an old man down the street that "Catholic" was not the same as "Jewish." (Admittedly, he was not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.)

Back then, Southern Baptists considered Catholics to be strange creatures who worshipped in a foreign language, drank liquor and worshipped statues. Of course they were going to hell if they did not renounce Catholicism.

Of course, the Catholics up north thought Southern Baptists were primitive Bible-thumpers who shouted and sang loud songs, and were going to hell if they did not accept Catholicism.

How far we have come! We in the Triangle now have representatives of virtually every faith in the world, and we pretty much all get along!
Wow.
All I want to know is where are they handing out the snakes?

Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 PM

Wouldn't tolerance also include the people who had to show tolerance towards either atheists or the people who didn't share their views?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary