Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times

Advertisements

MizSeeker's quote, "I did inform her after one absolutely insane conversation that it did not matter what religion you were as long as you were a good person and treated people..." reminded me of one instance...

My (very Southern) father-in-law, who lived next door, and was about 90 at the time, called me up and told me to come over. "Git ovah heah, QUICK!" he said.

Very concerned, I dropped everything and ran over.

He was in his living room with his Bible on the coffee table, open to a passage that he had circled in red.

He told me to sit next to him, and he pointed to the passage. I read it. It had something to do with Jesus saving us. I said, "Uh-huh." And I smiled. And he started to preach to me and said I needed to be saved.

I politely replied that I felt I was a good person and lived a good life, and I treated people well, and... Then he cut me off, and rather uncharacteristically, he growled, "That don't make no difference a' t'all!" He told me the MOST important thing was that I be saved.

I continued to listen politely for about a half an hour to his preaching.

He was wearing out, and so I was I. So I said, "Well, I better be going." It was clear he was going to get nowhere with me.

He said okay, and then (this is the funniest thing), as he got up off the couch, he said very distinctly and somewhat sarcastically UNDER HIS BREATH, "So, are ya saved?" And equally distinctly and sarcastically UNDER MY BREATH, I replied, "Sure am!" And he replied, "Glad to hear it!"

And he never mentioned it again.

If only I'd "agreed" to it much earlier, we both would have been better off.

lovebrentwood

Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
fire ants are no joke. they will cause you much more pain than the phantom religious nuts. if you don't like getting asked about religion, tell the people asking that you are god. they tend not to talk to you too much after that.

I tell those nice young people in white shirts and navy slacks that I am related to Joseph Smith and am a god via familial relations.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 19,954 times
My advice - Ignore people like them!!You obviously can’t please everyone and as you rightly said, don’t try to be someone who you’re not. Just do what makes you happy. That’s all.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Newcomers are more diverse in their beliefs.

NC natives, not so much.

In the past, I wish I hadn't been so honest with my beliefs with Southern relatives. It would have been easier to just nod and smile versus arguing with them about me being saved (them "helping" me to become saved). They don't take "No, but thank you very much for your concern" for an answer.

Thank goodness we're not in Utah. You should read some of THOSE posts on city-data about non-religious people moving in to Mormon neighborhoods. Fascinating.
I am so going to go waste some time and read the Utah forums. Thanks for the tip.

I think it's important to remember that some churches all but require that their members evangelize to potential converts. The Mormons are probably the most visible of these types of churches. I have my personal opinions about how to avoid living near these people but I'll keep my thoughts on the issue to myself since I'll probably be attacked for expressing them.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I am so going to go waste some time and read the Utah forums. Thanks for the tip.

I think it's important to remember that some churches all but require that their members evangelize to potential converts. The Mormons are probably the most visible of these types of churches. I have my personal opinions about how to avoid living near these people but I'll keep my thoughts on the issue to myself since I'll probably be attacked for expressing them.
Me too! Thanks for the tip on interesting reading!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I have TWO cats and I'm not crazy or religious.
If you think it is bad here don't ever go to Georgia. The first words out of anybody's mouth is "Do you have a church home yet" I had a phone conversation with business colleague from Georgia and I was cringing with all the "Praise the Lords": and "god's will" and "I'll pray for you". My teeth were grating. The ultra conservative right of right christian scene is one of the reason why we left GA to start new lives in Chapel Hill. We fit in right here.
Don't judge the entire area by one hypocritacal neighbor.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I have TWO cats and I'm not crazy or religious.
I have two cats and I am both crazy and religious. Unfortunately, I can't blame my craziness on my religion. But the craziness does help explain why I ever decided having two cats was a good idea.

At any rate, welcome to all you non-religious newcomers out there. I may ask you what church you go to, but I'll try not to be more annoying than that.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I tell those nice young people in white shirts and navy slacks that I am related to Joseph Smith and am a god via familial relations.
the funny thing is.........I actually am related to joseph smith. no joke.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 PM

880 posts, read 2,862,090 times
I agree with no kudzu. I lived in the Atlanta burbs for several years (Fayette County) and religion was a way of life there. First thing people would ask was what church you went to (along with what car do you drive). Very religious in that area.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:55 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
This is the Utah post that I thought was very interesting. A woman tells the story of how her family is basically being shunned:

Utah Valley - Can we be allowed to share our experiences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary