Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times

Advertisements

While it probably is a bit of an overstatement to say "gangs are in every neighborhood," it is probably worth keeping in mind that "gangs" consist of teens and young adults who self-identify with a particular organization labeled as a "gang." Gangs aren't just groups of roving thugs or delinquents who hang out visibly on the street corners in the poorer parts of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:28 PM

871 posts, read 3,017,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
While it probably is a bit of an overstatement to say "gangs are in every neighborhood," it is probably worth keeping in mind that "gangs" consist of teens and young adults who self-identify with a particular organization labeled as a "gang." Gangs aren't just groups of roving thugs or delinquents who hang out visibly on the street corners in the poorer parts of town.

CHTransplant, I could not agree with you more.

My initial post was in reference to the comment made, in part, that gangs exist in every neighborhood. I identify with the Boston Red Sox, although in and of itself maybe be highly offensive to Yankees fans (hehe), but the ones who lurk in their own quiet place and affiliate themselves with whomever they desire is not who I was referencing in my additional comment that I would roust them from my own neighborhood, personally if need be.

I have always been lucky in that, as a resident of MA for 45 years, and here for 4, I have been able to live in relative isolation from crime and criminals. The areas I have lived in have been safe and populated by productive and responsible people, for the most part, and not idle washouts who thrive on other people's discomfort.

In areas where citizens can fight back, why don't they? Does the very quality of being a nice person preclude one from standing up to thuggery? I firmly believe that peaceable people should be allowed to live in peace. Woe to the bullies. If my neighborhood descended into an attractive spot for gangs, I could choose to leave, or fight back.

The police cannot be everywhere. I am, I say with humility and truthfulness, not afraid of confrontation. I never start trouble, but I do not run from it. So, if unable to depend on law enforcement to help keep the peace in my chosen neighborhood, and I am not inclined to leave, I would take whatever measures I felt were necessary.

The rights of the predatory among us are protected at the expense of the innocents. Can anyone really contradict this as fact?

Political correctness has swung the pendulum so far the other way that it has terribly weakened our culture. Gangs in and of themselves wouldn't be a huge burden if they just kept to their own affairs, but today they don't.

The Hells Angels had certain codes, as did the NYC and Boston and Chicago mobs of old, for example. They didn't overtly touch your lives. Today, well, read all about it.

When a neighborhood truly gets fed up with the creeps who terrorize them, they should do something about it. I ask the same question again: When do we get to retake our streets and communities? Does it not start at home? Then how many broken homes can we brag about in this country? Can we not fix gang issues in the Triangle, for example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary