Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:29 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

Some employees have some ideas about exactly what happened. (And it makes total sense to me.) It doesn't involve "shortcuts" or anything devious directly related to Moderator cut: removed management or its experienced employees. Or ammonia.

Of course, the buck will always stop at ConAgra management.

It'll be interesting to see what the Feds come up with.

Last edited by autumngal; 06-11-2009 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: defamation issues, name removed

Old 06-11-2009, 02:35 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Seems like the company is trying to do the right thing. Might see if the injury is permanent. If not, salary continuance and medical payment will make her whole.

You'll find that some of these personal injury lawyers want to get a large share of your settlement by merely writing a few letters and settling with the defendant. I've found many of them lazy and useless, very reluctant to actually litigate a case..

If there will be a permanent deficit, consult an attorney.

Do not sign anything without legal review.

Best wishes to her.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:37 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
Whatever you do, I wouldn't go with the ones on tv. Just my opinion, but I've always thought this about lawyers and churches... if you need to advertise on tv to get clients/members, it's a bit sketchy.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:44 PM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
I, too, am very sorry for everyone involved in this tragic incident.

CH Transplant is correct; injuries of the workers will be handled under Workers' Compensation coverage, governed by NC Statutes and the NC Industrial Commission (they have a website with a lot of good information). Normally what happens is a claim is reported and an adjuster for the workers comp carrier (or from Conagra or a company they designate, if they are self-insured), will explain everything regarding medical treatment and bills, lost wages due to injury, etc. She can file a claim directly with the Industrial Commission if she wants and there is a form on there to do that, but it is probably faster to notify Conagra that she has a workers comp claim.

An attorney may help you know whether her claim is being handled correctly, but there are people at the Industrial Commission who can give you advice also..called an "ombudsman".

As another poster said, the immediate concern is getting her taken care of. Good luck and I wish her the best.

Oh, and the claim for the van should be reported to the van owner's insurance carrier.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:44 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
ditto those telling you to wait. First you don't know exactly what ramifications her injuries mean. more problems might surface. 2nd believe me lawyers will be contacting her ASAP as more information becomes evident. 3rd these things take way more time than you can imagine, I was involved in a medical malpractice suit which took 8 years to even come to trail. So don't think anything will be settled soon. Advise her NOT TO SIGN anything put in front of her. Moderator cut: defamation issues, name removed has said they will still pay those folks so you will have that to rely on. Just take care of her, assure her that she will be taken care of and don't get too impatient. I know you are all hurting now and want answers but it will not come quickly. She needs your love and care now more than attorney. goosd luck.

Last edited by autumngal; 06-11-2009 at 06:26 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 02:46 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Moderator cut: refer to original post
First, let say how sorry I am. I am sure this is quite a difficult time.

I used to practice worker's compensation law in NY before I became a college professor, so maybe I can give you some general advice (No legal advice, because I am not licensed in NC, so this just general information).

Since this was a work place injury, it falls under worker's comp. An injury that occurs out of or in the course of employment falls under the worker's comp statute for your state. Your mother will have to fill out the necessary paper work required by NC to start a claim. It would be best to contact your state Worker's Compensation Board for instructions. You can usually find a phone number in the government listings. Or, you can check your state government website.

Normally, you will need to contact a worker's comp attorney, only if the company's worker's comp insurance carrier refuses to pay for benefits or treatment.

As far as fining a good attorney, not all attorneys who advertise are sharks. What i would suggest is to contact the state bar for a listing of attorneys. You can also find out if there have been any grievances filled against a particular attorney. Set up a meeting with them. There should be no cost for a consult. Find out the important questions like how much does the attorney get if you win the case, how does the process work and do they return phone calls in a timely manner. Use your gut instincnt.

I hope this is helpful and I hope things work out for you.

Last edited by autumngal; 06-11-2009 at 06:28 PM..

Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Seems like the company is trying to do the right thing. Might see if the injury is permanent. If not, salary continuance and medical payment will make her whole.

You'll find that some of these personal injury lawyers want to get a large share of your settlement by merely writing a few letters and settling with the defendant. I've found many of them lazy and useless, very reluctant to actually litigate a case..

If there will be a permanent deficit, consult an attorney.

Do not sign anything without legal review.

Best wishes to her.
I know, that's what I'm afraid of. I've dealt with attorneys concerning minor thing such as traffic tickets and car accident, and they've all turned out to be slimeballs.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,674,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
First, let say how sorry I am. I am sure this is quite a difficult time.

I used to practice worker's compensation law in NY before I became a college professor, so maybe I can give you some general advice (No legal advice, because I am not licensed in NC, so this just general information).

Since this was a work place injury, it falls under worker's comp. An injury that occurs out of or in the course of employment falls under the worker's comp statute for your state. Your mother will have to fill out the necessary paper work required by NC to start a claim. It would be best to contact your state Worker's Compensation Board for instructions. You can usually find a phone number in the government listings. Or, you can check your state government website.

Normally, you will need to contact a worker's comp attorney, only if the company's worker's comp insurance carrier refuses to pay for benefits or treatment.

As far as fining a good attorney, not all attorneys who advertise are sharks. What i would suggest is to contact the state bar for a listing of attorneys. You can also find out if there have been any grievances filled against a particular attorney. Set up a meeting with them. There should be no cost for a consult. Find out the important questions like how much does the attorney get if you win the case, how does the process work and do they return phone calls in a timely manner. Use your gut instincnt.

I hope this is helpful and I hope things work out for you.
Wow, thanks. I will have her call immediately.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:07 PM

553 posts, read 1,271,685 times
You are very welcome. Not all attorneys are slime. You just need to trust your gut instinct. Many good ones actually don't advertise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary