Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 01:21 PM

50 posts, read 170,517 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know who and/or where I can arrange to get my husband a flying lesson? Yes, it would be just one (so far) for a Father's Day gift.
He dreams of flying and has never even been up in a Cesna...
I'd love to at least arrange for that experience for him. Thanks for your help and to all you Big Daddy's out there...Happy Father's Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 01:59 PM

144 posts, read 556,172 times
I got my fiance a flight lesson from the Burlington, NC regional airport. They have a flight school and the "Discovery Flight" was hard to pass up $99 dollars for 45 minutes of airtime, plus a course to take on the same day. They send you a gift certificate and the people I spoke with there were SO friendly and helpful. He has not had a chance to redeem the certificate yet, but you might want to check it out. Since it is only a 45 minute drive from the triangle area and right off of I-40, so very convenient. It is called Burlington Aviation, just in case it won't let me link.
Burlington Aviation...FBO (fixed base operator), Part 141 School,Flight Lessons, Aircraft Rental, Aircraft Repair

Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 PM

50 posts, read 170,517 times
Thanks, kbb34...I'm calling now!!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:56 PM

11 posts, read 32,811 times
At RDU Airport there is a company called Flight Gest that offers flying lessons. They are located near the General Aviation Terminal. If your closer to Johnston County call JNX Flight. Great People at JNX and much cheaper. Most places offer a special price for an introductory flight as well.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:02 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpilot View Post
At RDU Airport there is a company called Flight Gest that offers flying lessons. They are located near the General Aviation Terminal. If your closer to Johnston County call JNX Flight. Great People at JNX and much cheaper. Most places offer a special price for an introductory flight as well.
I used to work in General Aviation at RDU. So as the above poster said, there is a place at RDU (was called Raleigh Flying Service when I worked there) there is also a place at Franklin County (Louisburg) Triangle North Excutive Airport.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,375 times
This isn't for a lesson, but it is definately an experience. I did this about 7-8 years ago, and while the price has about doubled from what I paid at that time, it is an awesome experience to fly in an open cockpit airplane.

home_page

Old 06-18-2009, 10:13 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,894 times
I'd definitely recommend FlightGest! Let us know if you try it- I'd like to hear what you thought!

FlightGest World-Class Pilot Training

Old 06-19-2009, 08:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
When he goes have him go early in the morning (7-8 am-ish) as it starts to get really bumpy and sticky.

The small training aircraft don't have a/c so you'll want to go as early as possible.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:39 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,858 times
There is a major difference in atmosphere between flying a small plane out of RDU and flying out of a small country airport. There are a lot fewer small fields now than when I was flying, but thats what I would recommend. You might try Empire Aviation - Learn to fly, Flight School, Certified Flight Instructors, Private Pilot, Airplane, flight, private license, Aircraft, Cessna, Skyhawk, Piper, Cherokee, flight training, aeronautics, CFI, CFII, multi-engine, GPS, VFR, IFR, Research They are on a small grass strip by Falls Lake north of Durham(the same field with the open cockpit Waco biplane mentioned above).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary