Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

The Barrel Monster created by local artist Joe Carnavale is featured on Yahoo video today. Just go to the Yahoo home page and it's one of the top video stories. Yahoo!

Regardless of what you might think of the monster or whether or not Joe should be found guilty of the misdemeanor charges he faces for creating the monster, it's this sort of creativity that gives the Triangle "buzz" and increases its visibility. So, I say kudos to Joe for being a creative force in our community and for NC State. I agree with the article from UNC (first one inked below.

The Greatest Thing To Come Out of NC State Since The Krispy Kreme Race « Tar Heel Mania
Dude Craft: Barrel Monster Bust
Barrel ‘monster’ gets student arrested - Weird news- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31395158/ns/us_news-weird_news/ - broken link)
Barrel Monster Bust - June 12, 2009
Barrel Monster Spotted On Hillsborough Street | New Raleigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 07:12 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I think Barney Fife popped out of the corner room at the Y and busted this guy.

Broke up the crime wave of the century!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:51 AM

881 posts, read 2,252,795 times
I love it, I seriously want one for my yard LOL

He also did this:
Boylan Bridge Graffiti: The Angry Man | New Raleigh

Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think Barney Fife popped out of the corner room at the Y and busted this guy.

Broke up the crime wave of the century!
In a strange twist, I think the arrest is actually going to help him in the long run. The barrel company already wants him to recreate the monster for them and they might even pay him to do it.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:30 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In a strange twist, I think the arrest is actually going to help him in the long run. The barrel company already wants him to recreate the monster for them and they might even pay him to do it.
Didn't Barney's counterparts routinely capitalize on unintended consequences of his law enforcement activities?

To be sure, the guy is getting an absolute ton of positive publicity out of the whole thing.
"No such thing as bad publicity?"

Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM

183 posts, read 671,402 times
I was thinking this EXACTLY, LOL. A friend of mine and I were discussing it, and going, you know, I'm not sure what kind of legal trouble he will get in, but after it's all over, one thing is for sure...he's got a job somewhere.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"No such thing as bad publicity?"
Just ask Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears and the former Miss California.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
I was thinking this EXACTLY, LOL. A friend of mine and I were discussing it, and going, you know, I'm not sure what kind of legal trouble he will get in, but after it's all over, one thing is for sure...he's got a job somewhere.
He's just a sophomore! Interestingly, there's nothing on the Web that I can find that says what his course of study is. He should be in the College of Design!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:12 PM

220 posts, read 866,035 times
His major is History, at least according to WRAL. His official web site for himself (that I believe got him caught!) is no promise of safety dot com. He does urban exploration, and calls his site a "record of urban adventure." It's pretty cool to look at his pictures! I like his web site.
ps: he has other cool barel art work, look under the category "street art" on the right.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:05 PM

473 posts, read 1,517,286 times
DOT should supply him with a warehouse full of these barrels and see what he comes up with. If he's convicted, it could be considered "community service"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary