U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2007, 05:54 AM

5 posts, read 25,507 times
Default transitional home definition...buyers agent.... a few questions.

What is a transitional home?? We see this verbage all the time and have no idea what it means. Please help.

Also... what is the average amount of time one usually signs up with a buyers agent. We have a realtor we are meeting next week for the first time and so far she has only emailed us properties that she is the listing agent of. So, needless to say, we question if she will truly be agressive in her search for our new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 05:59 AM

4,609 posts, read 5,005,485 times
Transitional on inside will mean open floor plan where as say traditional will have the rooms defined with walls.
Signing up with a buyers agent really all depends on you and sometimes the agent "pushing" you to sign with them. As I personally have never signed with a buyers agent until I found a house to put an offer on, then we do it all in 1 go.
You should interview a few agents who specialize in those areas you are interested in.
I am sure others here will help you out better than I can.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:57 AM

54 posts, read 135,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyinfl View Post
What is a transitional home?? We see this verbage all the time and have no idea what it means. Please help.

Also... what is the average amount of time one usually signs up with a buyers agent. We have a realtor we are meeting next week for the first time and so far she has only emailed us properties that she is the listing agent of. So, needless to say, we question if she will truly be agressive in her search for our new home.
If the agent is only emailing you properties she is the listing agent for, then I would find a new agent to work with. Noting wrong with him/her sending you their listings, but if that is all they are sending then they are only looking out for themselves and not you. Find a better agent!

Old 04-14-2007, 07:01 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,304,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyinfl View Post

Some agents will push their own listings.
On the other hand, some Buyers will drop an agent if the agent DOESN"T have listings they are interested in.
She may be trying to impress on you that she lists properties that you may be interested in.

Or...
Are you sure they are her listings?
I can send a print or email Buyer Full Page of any listing from the MLS to you, and it will have my photo and contact information on it. I do it all the time. This is a legitimate and common part of the sharing function between Realtors in the MLS.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:08 AM

3,021 posts, read 7,213,983 times
Are you absolutely sure that these homes are listed by that specific agent? When we started our search for a realtor, I had an agent send me the buyers' reports on some houses. For some strange reason the document made it look as though she were the selling agent on all of the listings, but when I saw the houses on Realtor.com, I saw that they were represented by multiple different realtors & brokers.

However, if you check and see that you were correct, then I would look elsewhere. Either she doesn't understand what you want or she's hoping to get you into a double agency scenario.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:25 AM

18,938 posts, read 28,304,879 times
"For some strange reason the document made it look as though she were the selling agent on all of the listings, but when I saw the houses on Realtor.com, I saw that they were represented by multiple different realtors & brokers"

Absolutely right. See my post right before yours.
Sharing listings to get homes sold is the main function of the MLS.
It is one of the only reasons that Buyer's Agency works, permission for access to the homes on the market.

Buyer's Agent actually IS referred to as the "Selling Agent."
When you close you have a "Listing Agent" and a "Selling Agent."

Old 04-14-2007, 07:27 AM

956 posts, read 3,144,675 times
Our buyer's agent did not have us sign the contract until after she'd shown us houses over a weekend. The philosophy at their office is that you shouldn't be compelled to sign anything until you've had time to decide if you want to work with the agent, and then it was a short contract. Our agent works in an exclusive buyer's agency so there is no chance of a dual agency situation popping up. All they ever do is help buyers. She has been absolutely wonderful (informative, patient, fun, and honest), and familiar with all the areas in the triangle.

Here's her info should you find out your agent IS pushing her listings (which has happened to me in the past - very bad realtor behavior!), though I'm guessing it's prob as others have suggested, that all the listings are coming through with her contact info next to them regardless of who the listing agent/agency is.

My realtor:
AJ Ferguson, Broker/Owner
aj@buyersadvantagegroup.net
Buyers Advantage Group Realty
3737 Glenwood Ave., Suite 100
Raleigh, NC 27612
919-754-7833
There IS A Difference!!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:04 AM

10,183 posts, read 16,495,536 times
In NC, you HAVE to sign the Exclusive Buyer's Agency agreement BEFORE you can have your Agent write up your offer.

I typically don't have buyers sign ANYTHING until I'm sure I want to work with them! I do explain the forms and the reasons for them.

Usually by the end of the first time we are out together, my clients will tell me that they WANT to sign. I smile and tell them that I'd love to work with them, as well!

The new agents in my office are tained to try to IMMEDIATELY get you to sign forms. I do not work that way. I am self employed, working with the best company, Fonville Morisey, but I do things MY WAY!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary