Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:09 PM

226 posts, read 787,697 times

Advertisements

We're thinking of going but dont want to pay $30 a night to park our car, which we won't use anyway while we're there. Never have taken Amtrak so I'm wondering what its like.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
We're thinking of going but dont want to pay $30 a night to park our car, which we won't use anyway while we're there. Never have taken Amtrak so I'm wondering what its like.....
It has been years.
But we enjoyed it.
I sure did, because I always drive, and it was fun to ride and relax.
Took about 5 1/2 hours.

I would do it again.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:27 PM

161 posts, read 581,200 times
The only time I've ridden the Amtrak was a couple of years ago. I went from High Point, NC to Alexandria, VA (right before you get to DC). It was my first trip to DC and I didn't want to drive. It was extremely hot outside so the Amtrak was on heat restriction, which means it couldn't get above a certain speed. So it took a lot longer to get there than it should have. The trip back took even longer. I used the bathroom on the way up there and that was enough to make me hold it on the way back! The train is usually full, so if you're traveling with someone you may not get to sit together. The food is also very expensive so I recommend bringing your own food. A can of soda was like $3.

A lot of people like riding the train. I guess for me I set my expectations too high and they weren't met. I was expecting the train to go really fast and was disappointed at how slow it went. Even when we weren't on heat restriction it couldn't get up much speed because there were so many train stations.

From what I hear though, there are 2 different trains that go from here to DC. One takes a little longer to get there but has more scenic views and the other is a little shorter but you don't get to see as much. Since I had never been to DC I opted for the one with more scenic views so I could look out the window.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:29 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
Here's an old thread on the subject (it was to NY, but it's basically the same train):

Amtrack from NY

Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 PM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
We did this just a few weeks ago. Very easy. We took the Carolinian from Cary and felt comfortable leaving our car in the lot there while we were away. We actually ended our ride in Alexandria as we were visiting friends and it was convenient for them to pick up up there.

We enjoyed the ride. We upgraded to Business Class which gives you a bit more room, guaranteed seats together, and free non-alcoholic beverages. We, too, had expected the train to move faster but still it was SO much easier than driving...just sit back, relax, read, nap, watch the scenery whatever.

THE DOWN SIDE: Count on delays. We had read that delays were almost certain so we were prepared for that. We were delayed by at least an hour both going and coming back. Going up we had to sit and wait just outside Quantico for a southbound train to come on the tracks beside us so we that we could go around a disabled freight train on our tracks. Can't remember why we were delayed coming back, but I think you should plan on at least an hour extra...this website gives delay histories: Amtrak Train Status History - Check On time performance and Amtrak Delays

All in all, it was OK and a new adventure for us.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
Pros: Cost, not having to drive, and, well, that's all I can think of.
Cons: Time (It will take close to twice the time it takes just to drive yourself after driving to the train station and waiting for the train which is usually late to arrive), cramped, stench (Yeah, the train always stinks at least to me.), delays, loud-mouths who don't care about you, etc. I'm sure you get the point.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
What's the cost of the train?

I prefer flying up to Dulles. 45 min flight, though yes, you have to get to the airport and go thru security, etc, but still faster than driving or the train.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times
As others have said, count on delays. My spouse took the train from Durham to DC a couple years ago. The arrival was supposed to be 6:30p, but it turned out to be 9:30 due to frieght trains (which get priority over Amtrak on the rail lines) and an accident somewhere else down the line.

A friend took the train from here to Florida and there were several delays due to accidents making her many, many hours late. Same thing happened on the ride home too. Apparently delays are common on Amtrak everywhere. Makes you wonder how communters do it for work. Anyway, one of the delays she encountered was due to a suicide somewhere else down the line, which she was told is common - people driving their car onto the track of an oncoming train to end it all.

I used to take the train in college to go to and from home as none of us had cars back then and loved it. Even though the trip was several hours it was almost always on time. These days if we want to go for a train ride for the fun of it we stay close to home or go to one of those places that are dedicated to scenic train rides. There's one in western NC that I haven't been to, but hope to someday. Great Smoky Mountains Railroad: Bryson City, NC

Old 06-21-2009, 10:11 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

My wife and daughter tookthe train from Raleigh to Alexandria over Thanksgiving last year. That had no delays and and overall nice experience. It took them 5 hours and 20 minutes. They left early in the AM(around 7) when there are generally fewer delays. I have a friend that travels to DC by train twice a month. He leaves in the morning and told me they are rarely more than 20 minutes late leaving if at all.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:21 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
We have tickets for a 1 week stay in DC next month. Our last train trip was NYC to DC in 1985, and we look forward to this one.

Our hotel is 2 Metro stops from Union Station, so Amtrak makes a lot of sense.

What I hear from frequent riders is that the Carolinian is a better choice than the Silver Star.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary