Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 PM

47 posts, read 121,124 times

Advertisements

We will be looking to buy a washer, dryer, refrigerator and two new TV's at the end of July. Will require set-up of one TV with wall mount and home theater system (the only thing I am moving to the new home) along with washer/dryer hook-up and ice maker.

Any thoughts if one local store would be capable of good priicing and set-up ori f I will need to have one store for the TV's and another for the appliances.

Also, does anyone have any experience bundling this many items and getting a nice discount.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 01:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
I would think any of the major electronics/appliance retailers could handle this - Best Buy, HH Gregg, Sears, etc.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,537 times
Default reply

I would forget the big box stores and go staight to Jeffery's Appliance Center in Raleigh. I cannot say enough good things about their service. They have been in business for a long time and have a great reputation. I have found their prices to be very competitive. If you ever have a problem, you can deal directly with Andy Pittman who owns it. I just much prefer to shop at a locally owned places. You generally get much better service and overall value for your money.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,495,321 times
If you want to haggle like hell go to HHGregg, they will negotiate on prices, but they will hound you like a car salesman as they work on comission.

Garner TV & Appliance is also a great local owned place.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM

183 posts, read 671,345 times
If you're going to have it delivered and installed, don't get your items from Sears. The Kenmore stuff is good, but good lord, their delivery staff and customer service center when you have to call are atrocious.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:59 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,592 times
For tv's you can for the most part find better deals online. amazon.com crutchfield.com etc. no tax. free shipping. The past two weeks for fathers day the deals were amazing.
You can save yourself big bucks by ordering online. Use pricegrabber.com to find the lowest price and look for a repuatable dealer.

If you want a big box store try Costco. They add an additional year warranty for free and have a no hassle return policy.
Personally I think hhgregg is expensive and poor sales team, bestbuy is a bit better but again you have to pay tax.

For appliances I go to lowes/homedepot. Check e-bay for 20% off coupons before you do your shopping at either of these stores. I used three 20% off coupons for my refrig, washer, dryer and saved a bunch of $$$.

For installation: lowes home depot can deliver the products and setup for you.
TV's you can pay a little extra for white glove service, although you can save money and do all these things yourself, it is not difficult at all.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:28 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,571 times
We have bought a washer/dryer and dishwasher from jeffrey's appliance - excellent service and help. we bought a fridge from lowe's b/c jeffrey's didn't have the model we wanted. it was from the one in wake forest way and it was fine. When we first moved in, our stove died and we bought a new one from Sears. We ended up being really lucky and got what we wanted at the price we wanted...but they originally delivered the wrong item to us and insisted that was what we had paid for. Luckily, I had the sale's persons name & quote on the brochure page with the model number so I was able to prove that was what we intended on buying - it was weird and mismarked - this was about 9 years ago. We still think they were doing a bait/switch and giving us the cheaper model. I refuse to shop there again. When you pay, make sure the model number you wanted is on a receipt somewhere - Lowe's does that as does jeffrey's.

I have also heard great things about garner appliance - if/when we redo our kitchen and do matching appliances, I'm going to do it via jeffrey's or garner.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 AM

47 posts, read 121,124 times
Default appliances/electronics

Thank you all, it is tough coming in to a new area and not knowing anything about the local stores.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM

26 posts, read 87,392 times
Stay FAR AWAY from HH Gregg. Worst company I have ever had the displeasure of buying from. I love Costso if they have what you want, or try Sears.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I would forget the big box stores and go staight to Jeffery's Appliance Center in Raleigh. I cannot say enough good things about their service. They have been in business for a long time and have a great reputation. I have found their prices to be very competitive. If you ever have a problem, you can deal directly with Andy Pittman who owns it. I just much prefer to shop at a locally owned places. You generally get much better service and overall value for your money.
I just wish they took AMEX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary