Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 PM

12 posts, read 29,208 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the wake forest area this summer and trying to figure out what internet service to get. I have read many negative comments on TW so looking for alternative. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 01:25 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
I don't live in Wake Forest, but I've had TWC Roadrunner internet service for years in both Raleigh and Chapel Hill. It's one part of TWC's service that I've found rock-solid. Never had a significant problem with it and I've never had to call TWC about it. Same goes for phone service. Cable TV, on the other hand . . .

Old 06-22-2009, 02:42 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I don't live in Wake Forest, but I've had TWC Roadrunner internet service for years in both Raleigh and Chapel Hill. It's one part of TWC's service that I've found rock-solid. Never had a significant problem with it and I've never had to call TWC about it. Same goes for phone service. Cable TV, on the other hand . . .
I agree, never had a problem with TWC internet.

When I ditched TWC for the other reasons I went to VerizonDSL and have not had any issues with it at all.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Roadrunner has great US based tech support.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Default Staying connected in Wake Forest

I live in Wake Forest and use Time Warner for my Internet and TV. No major problems to report although I’m always jealous when I visit my friends back in Maryland and hook my laptop up to their Fios (fiber-to-the-premises) connection. Boy… is that Fios lightning fast!

TW’s RoadRunner service is pretty good but I do wish the upload bandwidth was better. Nonetheless I’ve found the cable company’s broadband connection to be acceptable with all the on-line games I play on my Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii, intense surf-a-thons that my wife and I often engage in and, of course, our Magic Jack.

I can’t rave about the Magic Jack enough. While the voice quality may not always be perfect it is more than acceptable given the low $20 a year cost for unlimited local and long distance. The only downside is that you have to connect it to a PC via a USB port rather than directly to router. The upside is that my wife and I can talk to our friends up north for hours with out ever worrying about a long distance bill.

So here is what I suggest; Time Warner for Internet and television, Verizon Wireless for cell and the Magic Jack to supplement it. That way you’ll only have two monthly communication bills to concern yourself with.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,445 times
I've been quite dissatisfied with TWC cable television...but I have no problem with Roadrunner. It's probably the best option, though I'm not sure about Uverse. Make sure you check out Earthlink instead of Roadrunner. Someone can probably correct me if I'm wrong, but Earthlink is slightly cheaper than Roadrunner, yet it is basically the same exact thing (and you apparently go thru TWC).

Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
I agree TWC TV stinks, but the TW Road Runner has been fine for me. Some real competition around here would be nice, it would drive down prices and drive up speeds. The only stinky part of the RR service is the really slow upload speeds.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:45 AM

26 posts, read 56,447 times
Get TWC for your internet - go for the "lite" - cheap and work GREAT! Skip on the TV and phone if you can. I do Vonage for phone. TWC has a $29.95 cable package for 1 year which isn't bad. Combine with lite internet it's just over $50. Don't let salespeople at TWC try to convince you to do more than you can afford. Go basic and then add if you think you need it.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
I was on the lite package for a year, $14.95/month. It went up to $24.95 when my year expired and I switched to the 1.5 mb for $19.95/month for 1 year.

One good thing about TWC is the minimal pure-profit "surcharges & fees". I think I pay around $3 in taxes/fees per month on top of my $60/month bill for cable & internet. This is unheard of. I was used to paying $20-$30/month in taxes/fees in other states.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:26 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,090,473 times
Default An employment diet that's high in fiber

This is an excellent topic as most people that visit this forum tend to be extremely Internet savvy and want the best possible broadband connection available. Sadly, the Raleigh area hasn’t made any real provisions to provide its inhabitants with the super high-speed Internet connections they’ll need to stay competitive in the current and/or future digital age. In my extremely humble opinion, here in Wake County we need a fiber-to-the-home infrastructure just as much, if not more, than we need a modern transit system. Such an infrastructure is the best way for us and our children to remain competitive with other eastern states like New York, Massachusetts, Maryland and Virginia which also rely heavily on tech sector jobs. How can the Research Triangle sincerely be called the Silicon Valley of the east when many of the people that live and work here are still using antiquated DSL connections?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary