U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 05:00 AM

1,940 posts, read 781,472 times

Advertisements

We love shrimp, but find that the prices in grocery stores & even places like BJ's & Costco are through the roof (like $8 per lb for the large variety), or at least more than what we want to pay. So my question is, where have you found raw shrimp the cheapest in the Triangle area? Doesn't have to be deveined, but have to be of the large/colossal kind. I would expect this to be some hole-in-the-wall Hispanic or Oriental market, but I could be mistaken. We live in Wake Forest, but we don't mind even driving a bit as long as it's in the Triangle area as we'll probably buy a few pounds and freeze them.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:25 AM

445 posts, read 894,565 times
I would like to know, too. I would prefer it be wild caught instead of farmed (farmed shrimp tastes like crap to me).

Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM

54 posts, read 151,395 times
Grand Asia Market has large shrimp for a cheaper price.
Welcome to Grand Asia Market

Actually Harris Teeter often has good deal on shrimps. This week they have 2-lb bags at half price.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,645,075 times
Default reply

Earp's Seafood on S Saunders street near DT Raleigh.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:02 PM

1,562 posts, read 3,527,711 times
$8/lb for fresh 15 count or less shrimp is about as good as you are going to do. If you don't want to pay that much, you'll want to buy smaller and/or frozen. That goes for locally or at the coast.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 PM

214 posts, read 628,559 times
Well, out here in Pittsboro we are super lucky to get fresh shrimp brought in by Al Davis of Louisiana Shrimp a few times a month. He lives down in New Orleans and goes down to the docks and buys them wholesale and drives them straight up to Pittsboro and sets up usually outside of Our Neighborhood School and sells them. (His daughter relocated here, and so this is how he started making his trips up here.) From May through December the shrimp come from the inland waters, and from January to April the shrimp are from the Gulf of Mexico. He also brings a lot of grocery items local only to New Orleans.

They are soooo good! He brings them with the head still on and sells usually 16-20 count for $7.75 a pound, and he is the nicest guy you will ever meet!

If you get on his mailing list he sends out emails to let you know when he will be in town. Lots of local restarants out here buy his shrimp as well, so I highly recommend him if it's not to tough to make a drive out this way.

LouisianaFreshShrimp.com - Home

Old 06-24-2009, 01:15 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,645,075 times
Default reply

if you are ever in carteret county, there plenty of local fisherman that sell fresh large shrimp for @2.99 a pound if you buy 10 pounds or more. We buy it quite frequently split with friends. Or when we are making a huge party batch of Frogmore Stew(low country boil).

Old 06-24-2009, 11:40 PM

1,940 posts, read 781,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfchaitf View Post
Grand Asia Market has large shrimp for a cheaper price.
Welcome to Grand Asia Market

Actually Harris Teeter often has good deal on shrimps. This week they have 2-lb bags at half price.
How cheap is Grand Asia Market? And what is HT's half-price? Never done any major grocery shopping at HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Earp's Seafood on S Saunders street near DT Raleigh.
Do you know what's the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
$8/lb for fresh 15 count or less shrimp is about as good as you are going to do. If you don't want to pay that much, you'll want to buy smaller and/or frozen. That goes for locally or at the coast.
I have seen it much cheaper (like $3.99/lb), in places like Atlanta. Granted, it's a much bigger city, but still I was hoping for some hidden gem here too, even if it may not be as cheap as $3.99/lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryGal View Post
Well, out here in Pittsboro we are super lucky to get fresh shrimp brought in by Al Davis of Louisiana Shrimp a few times a month. He lives down in New Orleans and goes down to the docks and buys them wholesale and drives them straight up to Pittsboro and sets up usually outside of Our Neighborhood School and sells them. (His daughter relocated here, and so this is how he started making his trips up here.) From May through December the shrimp come from the inland waters, and from January to April the shrimp are from the Gulf of Mexico. He also brings a lot of grocery items local only to New Orleans.

They are soooo good! He brings them with the head still on and sells usually 16-20 count for $7.75 a pound, and he is the nicest guy you will ever meet!

If you get on his mailing list he sends out emails to let you know when he will be in town. Lots of local restarants out here buy his shrimp as well, so I highly recommend him if it's not to tough to make a drive out this way.

LouisianaFreshShrimp.com - Home
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
if you are ever in carteret county, there plenty of local fisherman that sell fresh large shrimp for @2.99 a pound if you buy 10 pounds or more. We buy it quite frequently split with friends. Or when we are making a huge party batch of Frogmore Stew(low country boil).
Thanks for the recommendations, but I am looking for something more local (Triangle area - Wake or Durham county), which I can go to frequently. Chances of me having a reason to go to Chatham or Carteret counties are pretty bleak.

Thanks for all the replies so far, folks.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 AM

20 posts, read 33,695 times
Earp's is always my first choice if I can plan ahead. Can't remember what I paid last time I visited.

I grab some of the frozen shrimp at Harris Teeter when they're on sale. About a week ago the special was "Buy One 2 lb. Bag, Get 2 Free." One bag was about $25 and some change.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:46 AM

5,527 posts, read 6,123,581 times
$3.99 per lb isn't going to happen unless it's on sale and then it's previously frozen or about to pass it's freshness limit. How long ago where you seeing that in Atlanta? Based on the size of ATL and the abundance of seafood providers, more competition means lower prices I would assume.

There isn't a plethora of places around here to get fresh seafood. Less of them, higher prices. Good luck though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary