Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:13 AM
MEM

123 posts, read 404,303 times

Advertisements

We have 4 of these trees in our yard and they all seem to be not doing too well. We did find some beetles and there are always little ants on the trunk. The buds at the ends of the branches are brown and dead. A lot of the leaves seem chewed up as well.

Is there any hope for them this year? Or should I be doing something now to help with next year? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,247 times
Reghalin and Aphorista - You two may have the same problem on two different species of tree. Both crepe myrtle and pears are susceptable to a fungal condition known as leaf spot. The leaves first appear with brown spots, maybe even tiny holes that look like pin pricks, then they turn yellow and fall off at the wrong time of year. The people at the coop should have known that. It's gardening 101 stuff. Tell them I said they should be ashamed. Then ask them to help you select the correct antifungal spray. There may be another problem with the pear, however. There is a condition common to pears known as fireblight in which the leaves, and in sesvere cases the branches, appear to actually burn up. Like the name implies, they look like the tree survives a fire. If that's the case, it wil take some special pruning and volck oil spraying that a knowledgable nursery person should be able to help you with. Don't forget, just because your tree has one type of disease doesn't make it immune to another. Good luck to both of you. I love both trees. Wish I could grow pears in So. Calif. PS - I'm a retired Certified California Nurseryperson

Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,489,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
What will pull the roots down is deeper watering and only about once a week during the summer once it is established. We are coming up on the best time to plant anything---fall. Most folks think spring is the best cause we aLL have been inside and are so grateful for spring weather. Then we rush out to buy stuff to plant. But then everything spends the summer in stress and either over or under watered. Plant in fall, get the plant's roots established without having the stress of heat and it will get thru the winter just fine only to reward you with a glorious spring or summer blooming, depending on it's schedule. So make your budget and your plans and get ready for a fun fall of planting for great rewards for the following spring and summer.
I agree to plant during the fall. I planted 3 trees last fall who are doing well this summer. The Dogwood I planted this spring is growing like crazy but requires a lot of water especially during the dry periods. If I don't water the leaves actually wilt. Me thinks fall planting is best.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:49 PM

582 posts, read 1,538,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knownuthin View Post
Reghalin and Aphorista - You two may have the same problem on two different species of tree. Both crepe myrtle and pears are susceptable to a fungal condition known as leaf spot. The leaves first appear with brown spots, maybe even tiny holes that look like pin pricks, then they turn yellow and fall off at the wrong time of year. The people at the coop should have known that. It's gardening 101 stuff. Tell them I said they should be ashamed. Then ask them to help you select the correct antifungal spray. There may be another problem with the pear, however. There is a condition common to pears known as fireblight in which the leaves, and in sesvere cases the branches, appear to actually burn up. Like the name implies, they look like the tree survives a fire. If that's the case, it wil take some special pruning and volck oil spraying that a knowledgable nursery person should be able to help you with. Don't forget, just because your tree has one type of disease doesn't make it immune to another. Good luck to both of you. I love both trees. Wish I could grow pears in So. Calif. PS - I'm a retired Certified California Nurseryperson

Thanks for taking the time to explain what happened to my pear tree. It seemed it started with the former disease and then looked like the latter at the end. It actually fell down during a recent storm and was entirely dead. I was not impressed with the Master Gardener at all and hope that it was maybe a receptionist just answering the phone and guessing. So far my other pear trees and crape myrtles are doing well.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:45 AM

16 posts, read 33,175 times
A suggestion about the Bradford Pear tree. Cut is down!!! They are beautifull in the spring but when the storms come through you will loose the tree eventually. Save yourself some trouble down the road and plant dogwoods, CrapeMyrtle and other flowering trees. We just had a chainsaw party at our subdivision last week cutting up the latest batch of Bradfords to fall. The wood is to soft and breaks easily in the wind. Take a look at the Bradfords around town and half of them have broken or diseased trunks from wind damage. The only good place to plant a Bradford is in an area that is protected from the wind.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,578,301 times
Most Bradford Pears are not pruned properly, which makes the potential for them to break much worse. A similar tree without the breakage problem is the Cleveland Select pear. I plan on getting one put in this fall.. I can't wait!

Advanced Tree Technology -- Cleveland Select Flowering Pear (Pyrus Calleryana)

Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,178 times
Default Yellow Leafs Droopy Branches

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is in a little shock.

Water the heck out of it, particularly if you fertilized it.

Next year it will be great.
I recently transported a new try home and planted in, It is pretty mature (over 6+ft tall) The leaves are starting to yellow now and the branches are droopy.. I think the guy that planted it may have placed the same dirt that was dug back in and around the tree, I have since piled some fertilized dirt on top of it and watered, watered, watered, is my tree just in shock or should I be worried about it dying? Can I prevent the death of my Myrtle??

Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,048,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney Gore View Post
I recently transported a new try home and planted in, It is pretty mature (over 6+ft tall) The leaves are starting to yellow now and the branches are droopy.. I think the guy that planted it may have placed the same dirt that was dug back in and around the tree, I have since piled some fertilized dirt on top of it and watered, watered, watered, is my tree just in shock or should I be worried about it dying? Can I prevent the death of my Myrtle??
Adding dirt around the tree will only cause additional stress assuming the Myrtle was planted at the correct depth initially (trees and shrubs should never be transplanted lower in the soil). All you can really do at this point is to ensure it gets enough water and try to keep any pests away from it.
Myrtle's are generally fairly hardy around here. A good rule of thumb for hardiness is to observe what DOT plants around the highways.

Frank

Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,848,820 times
Be careful about over watering. With the clay soils here, new plantings have a tendency to create a "bucket," with a hole in the clay soil that doesn't drain well filled with new loose black dirt around the plant. The "bucket" formed by the hole dug in the clay soil can retain a lot of water and drown the roots of a new plant with a limited root system.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Be careful about over watering. With the clay soils here, new plantings have a tendency to create a "bucket," with a hole in the clay soil that doesn't drain well filled with new loose black dirt around the plant. The "bucket" formed by the hole dug in the clay soil can retain a lot of water and drown the roots of a new plant with a limited root system.
Right. I was also thinking that the "bucket" walls might have been compressed and not letting the roots penetrate easily either. That can take a couple of years before the plant roots in well and really establishes itself.
Just another reason plants will "Sleep, then Creep, then Leap" in the first few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary