Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 05:43 PM

850 posts, read 4,740,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
Give the landlord a call. It's likely they have no idea what a nuisance their tenants are.

I had bad neighbors a few years ago. I'm talking bad like cops at the house two or three nights a week because the mother and her boyfriend would be out front fighting. (Why the hell do people go OUTSIDE to fight?!!) Groups of 10 - 15 young adults hanging around in front of their house and causing trouble at all hours of the day and night. Once my 11 year old son called me from a friend's house down the street and told me he tried to come home on time for dinner but was intimidated by the group of people in front of our house so he turned around and went the other way. Windows wide open with music blasting well after midnight. The teenage daughters constantly had parties and plenty of young men coming in and out of the house. One morning I went out and one of their car windows was smashed and the tire was flat. I assumed that either the mother or her boyfriend did it during a heated fight. Who knows.

I looked up the landlord's name through public records and gave her a call. She was very understanding and within a week evicted them. I know not every landlord would be so accommodating, but it's worth a shot.
That's exactly what I mean about it could be worse! Yikes! Not to say you're not inconvenienced and annoyed by your neighbors OP, but I've just seen it all managing apartment communities and your problems are minor compared to what many people deal with. That said, it's still your home and you should be comfortable and happy, so I know it stinks. Just keep a close eye on them for illegal activity and try to get at them that way.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:53 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
What do you mean the parents "never, ever" supervise them? If that's the case, call the child abuse hotline: 919-212-7990 (Wake County)

Contact the landlord and tell him that you are going to petition the city to declare his/her house a nuisance due to noise (the noise ordinance is 11 pm to 7 am), trash, stray dog, theft, and anything else they do to make your life miserable. You can find the owner of the home by searching: Real Estate Search If that's not up to date, then call the City to find out the owner's name or how to find it.

Keep your kids away from them, call the police on anything that can be considered valid to do so, and keep a log of all activities.

Here is a link to their responsibilities as a tenant:
City of Raleigh | Tenant's Rights and Responsiblities (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_202_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Resident/Housing/Off_Campus_Student_Housing/Cat-MCH-2006407-103621-Tenant_s_Rights_and_Res.html - broken link)

According to the city's landlord registration rules, if a landlord's property is found to violate minimum housing, zoning and nuisance laws, or there is a pattern of noise or noisy parties, the landlords have to pay $500 a year. For the second and third instances, they continue to get harsher penalties, including the removal of their rental permit for two years and lastly, removing of the permit for ALL other properties they own for two years.

It's meant to improve the neighborhoods and reduce the instances of crimes. (It's also to reduce the instances of out-of-control college parties, I think.) However, if the behavior of their tenant is preventing you from enjoying your own home, I believe you have every right to speak up and do something about it.

For more info about the City's PROP ordinance, call 831-6167.

Good luck!

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 06-27-2009 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,454 times
In my experience with children, when a child lies about stealing something and then confesses the next day, this shows remorse and that they have at least some semblance of a conscious. These children are under 10 years old and you are ready to condemn them to a long life of crine! You have no idea what they will become or what fabulous potential lies within them. Since you are posting in a public forum on the net, I will freely give you my advice i recommend that you exercise some tolerance and compassion as I am sure someone has shown you before. If you can't be compassionate toward a family and their small children then I suggest you move somewhere in the middle of nowhere so that you and yours may live in isolation and never have to be inconvenienced by others. We all exist on this planet together and her family has just as much right to exist in their own chaos as you do in your judgement and intolerance. Best of luck to you on that path but I have found it to be frustrating and empty in my own personal experience - so I choose the path of love, peace, acceptance and gentle tolerance of others. Blessings and peace to you and your family.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,454 times
To the person who suggested she call child protective services due to an allegation that the mother ' never ever supervises them " ....wow. it is socially irresponsible for you to spout out advice about calling child protective services and potentially destroying a family in a situation you know absolutely nothing about. if this mother spoke to her children and discipline them for stealing something and they end up confessing the next day then common sense tells me that she does supervise them at least to some degree. People who make calls to DSS with weak allegations such as never ever supervises them...are the reason children in true danger fall through the cracks and are left behind as dss has to sift through so many irrelevant and obnoxious calls to find the few that are legitimately concerned for the safety and well being of children.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:49 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
This thread is almost 6 years old. Commenting to the original post isn't necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary