U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 06:18 PM

3 posts, read 34,220 times
Default Rental homes - rules...occupancy limits????

A family moved into a home in our neighborhood a couple of months ago. Their kids are wild (all under 10 yrs old)...parents never, ever supervise them...up at all hours (kids playing on swingset in backyard at 11:30pm, they park in front of our house, they taunt our daughter and are just hateful people....it goes on and on.

I know they recently passed some laws about landlord registration. Does anyone know how I would find out if the homeowner registered as required?

And....does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of people/families that can occupy a rental home?

I know the homeowner only rented it because she got married, moved and had the home on the market for almost a year with no sale. That said, we're really hoping this will only be a 1 year lease. Unfortunately, they just moved in in April. UGGGGh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 06:50 PM

6,300 posts, read 10,001,285 times
Ahh you mean the lovely "tenant tax". What a well thought out piece of legislation that was. Why don't you just search the tax records on wakecounty.gov?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Ahh you mean the lovely "tenant tax". What a well thought out piece of legislation that was. Why don't you just search the tax records on wakecounty.gov?
I did, but could only find the property tax bill. It also lists the home's address as the owner's address which I know is not the case.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:16 AM

850 posts, read 2,764,103 times
I'm not sure about the new landlord registration. Why do you want to know? Are you in the city of Raleigh? That's the only place that applies.

As far as occupancy limits, there are none for families with children. Some areas impose occupancy limits for unrelated individuals, but there are none in this area. Typically a landlord will impose their own limits, which is usually 2 people per bedroom. But they really only care about that in a small apartment or when it comes to unrelated people (think a bunch of college kids).

I know it stinks to have neighbors that are less than desireable. Have you talked to them about your issues? I think that's your first step. Sometimes people aren't aware of how their actions affect others. If you don't get anywhere that way, then you could talk to the owner, then the HOA. All else fails, you can call the police when the kids are out that late and they park in front of your house. But be prepared for a war. Is it really worth rocking the boat? Honestly, you could have a lot worse!

Old 06-27-2009, 08:08 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,453,556 times
Yet another of about a billion examples of why I built my 2d house in the middle of the woods, acres away from anyone. Way too many losers out there.

Anyway, why not call the cops and report a public distarbance eg when the brats are out there playing really late at night or when (I assume) they are blasting their "music" etc?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:50 AM

711 posts, read 1,780,867 times
Default Residential occupancy limits

I had heard the maximum limit for household occupancy was two per legal bedroom, plus one. For example, a three bedroom house could contain 7 people legally, assuming all bedrooms were legal bedrooms - usually meaning appropriate means of egress during a fire. A basement or attic room not equipped with an egress window is not a legal bedroom.

I don't know if that is part of the national building code, or is a local ordinance somewhere.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I had heard the maximum limit for household occupancy was two per legal bedroom, plus one. For example, a three bedroom house could contain 7 people legally, assuming all bedrooms were legal bedrooms - usually meaning appropriate means of egress during a fire. A basement or attic room not equipped with an egress window is not a legal bedroom.

I don't know if that is part of the national building code, or is a local ordinance somewhere.
Occupancy limits are determined by each individual town and city, there are no national or state limits. HUD has said for Fair Housing purposes that an acceptable legal limit is 2 per bedroom, plus one, but it's just a guide to be in compliance with guidelines of the familial status protected class in the Fair Housing laws. Most apartment communities utilize this guideline, or just 2 per bedroom to keep it simple. But homeowners generally don't have limits, they just go with what they're comfortable with, provided their town doesn't already have limits in place. To my knowledge, there are no established limits in our area.

This is one of those things that a lot of areas across the country have tried to stay out of b/c of Fair Housing. Since HUD hasn't ever given a definitive guideline, there is a lot of wiggle room and interpretation to the law. Many cities and towns are leaving that burden of responsiblity with the property owners.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:46 PM

By the way, how many kids do hey have? If they're all under 10, I can't imagine they have too many?!?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
I'm not sure about the new landlord registration. Why do you want to know? Are you in the city of Raleigh? That's the only place that applies.

As far as occupancy limits, there are none for families with children. Some areas impose occupancy limits for unrelated individuals, but there are none in this area. Typically a landlord will impose their own limits, which is usually 2 people per bedroom. But they really only care about that in a small apartment or when it comes to unrelated people (think a bunch of college kids).

I know it stinks to have neighbors that are less than desireable. Have you talked to them about your issues? I think that's your first step. Sometimes people aren't aware of how their actions affect others. If you don't get anywhere that way, then you could talk to the owner, then the HOA. All else fails, you can call the police when the kids are out that late and they park in front of your house. But be prepared for a war. Is it really worth rocking the boat? Honestly, you could have a lot worse!
Well, let's see....the other day the mother accused my daughter of stealing a $5 plastic recorder (which she didn't...I'd bet a year's salary on it.)..they leave their toys laying all around the street...now, the kids taunt my daughter relentlessly....my daughter said they stole something of hers about a month ago and when I talked to them, they said they didn't so I let it go. The next day they admitted that they had lied, but that their little brother had since destroyed the item....they drop trash in yards...let their dog loose who poops in everyone's yard...we've spoken to the parents...they just don't care. They'll be a real joy when they get a little older. If they're like this at age 6 and 9, I can only imagine what joys await anyone in their vicinity in the future.

Individually the incidents seem trivial...add them up and they are a big, inconsiderate bunch of losers.

I guess we're stuck with them until the lease runs out and we'll just have to hope they only stay this one year.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:39 PM

420 posts, read 490,610 times
Give the landlord a call. It's likely they have no idea what a nuisance their tenants are.

I had bad neighbors a few years ago. I'm talking bad like cops at the house two or three nights a week because the mother and her boyfriend would be out front fighting. (Why the hell do people go OUTSIDE to fight?!!) Groups of 10 - 15 young adults hanging around in front of their house and causing trouble at all hours of the day and night. Once my 11 year old son called me from a friend's house down the street and told me he tried to come home on time for dinner but was intimidated by the group of people in front of our house so he turned around and went the other way. Windows wide open with music blasting well after midnight. The teenage daughters constantly had parties and plenty of young men coming in and out of the house. One morning I went out and one of their car windows was smashed and the tire was flat. I assumed that either the mother or her boyfriend did it during a heated fight. Who knows.

I looked up the landlord's name through public records and gave her a call. She was very understanding and within a week evicted them. I know not every landlord would be so accommodating, but it's worth a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary