Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM

25 posts, read 40,774 times

Advertisements

I've got two competing offers (almost identical) on a 2012 Prius III from both Marc Jacobson and Fred Anderson today. I'm completely new to the area, and have learned just a thing or two about SET dealerships with their high admin fees (something like $750+) and doc fees ($499).

I would say that I'm leaning towards FA for their better price offer, but I'm held up by MJ's lifetime warranty pitch, which is the reason they won't budge on the price. What does it mean to say that it is an extension of the 5/60 powertrain warranty? Also, since I'll be relocating back to the North after grad school, MJ is pushing that the warranty will come with me wherever I go as long as I own the car. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
There are several catches to the lifetime warranty. As you already know you HAVE to get the car serviced at that dealership at THEIR recommended service intervals.
Several reasons why that's bad;
1. [St]ealerships are always the most expensive. You can usually pay somebody else who actually gives a damn about your car half of what the dealership would charge.
2. They might recommend to have your oil changed every 3,000 miles. That is totally wasteful and leaves a huge carbon footprint if you are "going green" or just like to save a few bucks. The only people who recommend that short of an oil change interval are those who want to change your oil. Check the owner's manual of the car and I bet it recommends a 7,500 oil change interval. Personally, I run synthetic and change it at 15,000 miles! (Yes, Fifteen thousand miles! I've even had an oil sample tested and the oil is still providing protection when it was changed.)
3. Did I mention it's just highway robbery on what they charge for parts? Although I do believe OEM parts are the best to install (I've been a shadetree mechanic for 16 years) those same parts can be had for half the cost online from an actual dealership in another part of the country that would rather make a sale instead of rip someone off.
Something else to consider is the fact that it's a 3rd-party warranty. 3rd-party warranties are notorious for being denied leaving you to fight with the company that writes them. Just do an online search for complaints on 3rd-party warranties. Some are viewed as being a downright scam.
If you are wanting to buy a new Toyota you should think about what's bringing you to want to purchase a Toyota in the first place. If it's just because you like the looks of a certain model you need to seriously reconsider your financial decisions. I'm sure that's not the case and you want to purchase a Toyota because of it's reliability history! In case you didn't know, Toyota is #1 in the world for reliability!
So why would you need such a long warranty that's not even transferable? You actually plan on keeping a vehicle until it's not possible to even repair it? Keep in mind the cost of dealer servicing and how few times you'd actually use the warranty if it isn't denied. I think you are much better off buying a Toyota from the dealership that offers you the best price instead of one offering this type of gimmick.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,770,529 times
come on people ..... let common sense kick in on anything offered as 'Lifetime Warranty'. "If it's too good to be true" ........ I'll never have to buy another car ... yea, right

Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,579,467 times
I would buy the car from the dealership that offers the best price.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I would buy the car from the dealership that offers the best price.
Yep. Same here.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:50 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
If that lifetime warranty requires that all service be provided by MJ (as I suspect it does)., you're gonna have to make a long drive from "back north" for those oil changes.

And THAT bit of misrepresentation would make me decide to purchase from another dealer on principle alone - regardless of price. (but it wouldn't be Fred Thompson based on our single shopping experience with them earlier this year when they held onto my husband's car door when we tried to leave.)

Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
If that lifetime warranty requires that all service be provided by MJ (as I suspect it does)., you're gonna have to make a long drive from "back north" for those oil changes.

And THAT bit of misrepresentation would make me decide to purchase from another dealer on principle alone - regardless of price. (but it wouldn't be Fred Thompson based on our single shopping experience with them earlier this year when they held onto my husband's car door when we tried to leave.)
You do not have to get it serviced at MJ, it is a nationwide warranty. The only problem is you have to take it to a dealer/shop that accepts that warranty so if you are going back up north I would make sure there is a shop that will take the warranty. How much is the price difference?

Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,247,610 times
Fwiw? I've bought in the past from Fred Anderson and had a very positive experience.

I bought my current car (Prius, no pun intended) from Apex Toyota. While it ultimately turned out fine, I don't think I'd necessarily buy there again unless they had a decidedly better price than any other dealer.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:08 AM

25 posts, read 40,774 times
Thanks all for the helpful advice. The price difference is about $5 (I know, really negligible), with FA in the lead. FA is offering more options and is more agreeable to negotiation. To me, both dealerships are offering incentives that would only really best serve those that are local, and since I'm relocating up North, those incentives doesn't seem to make a big difference to me. MJ did tell me that the warranty would go with me wherever I go, although I didn't know that I'd have to take it to a dealer up North that would honor that warranty. Good info to know.

What was wrong with Apex? So far, FA has been pretty good with me.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM

43 posts, read 86,795 times
Has anyone successfully fought off these add-on charges that local dealers impose? I am talking about the pure profit disguised as the admin, doc, inventory, etc. fees. During our purchasing process of a new car a couple of years back these fees ranged from $400 to $1000. When I told sales people that I wanted to negotiate the fees many acted agitated and wouldn’t budge in. We ended up buying our new car at a large North East dealership for a little over the cost and zero add-on fees. I would love to support local dealers but not when I’m being blatantly ripped off into thinking that I must pay these fees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand123 View Post
I've got two competing offers (almost identical) on a 2012 Prius III from both Marc Jacobson and Fred Anderson today. I'm completely new to the area, and have learned just a thing or two about SET dealerships with their high admin fees (something like $750+) and doc fees ($499).

I would say that I'm leaning towards FA for their better price offer, but I'm held up by MJ's lifetime warranty pitch, which is the reason they won't budge on the price. What does it mean to say that it is an extension of the 5/60 powertrain warranty? Also, since I'll be relocating back to the North after grad school, MJ is pushing that the warranty will come with me wherever I go as long as I own the car. Thoughts?

Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM

545 posts, read 1,605,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Fwiw? I've bought in the past from Fred Anderson and had a very positive experience.
And I bought from Fred Anderson and had a postiviely DREADFUL experience. I wouldn't buy from them again if they tried to sell me a new car for five bucks.

Have you checked prices at Capital Toyota? From the little dealings I've had with them, they were very nice to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary