Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 01:11 PM

145 posts, read 467,456 times

Advertisements

I have two garage door openers to install. I am wondering if you guys have any recommendations.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 01:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,310,695 times
I called Wayne Dalton who installed my garage door opener and opener originally when I needed something fixed. I had a good experience with them.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:11 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,952,953 times
Overhead something...
I have used them 20 years.
Good and fairly priced.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:17 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,550,011 times
Are you replacing openers that are already installed? If so, it's a very simple job that you can do with a step ladder and simple hand tools in a few hours. A company will charge close to $500 to install both openers. I have done business with Custom Overhead Doors to have the tensioner on my door adjusted. (That is a job that should be left to the professionals. That thing can kill you if you don't know what you are doing.) I found them to be the cheapest and most prompt out of the several other companies I have dealt with previously.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:45 PM

240 posts, read 1,175,924 times
The folks at Wayne Dalton in Raleigh (981-6004) are super; as are the folks at Overhead Door Raleigh on Gresham Lake Road (876-0637).

When looking for a company to repair/replace your garage door, please be very careful who you call.

Several years ago we fell victim to some "less than honest" individuals who came to town and set up numerous phone lines and advertised using the words "Overhead", "Garage" "Door" and "Raleigh".

When prospective customers called, they were told that they had reached the legitimate franchise holder "Raleigh Overhead Doors". When pressed they even stated they were located on Gresham Lake Road in Raleigh in an attempt to give legitimacy to their name. None of this was true. They were a phone bank in Cary with many phone lines that were answered with a variety of business names that sounded like the real thing.

These folks made appointments and presented invoices: when work was not performed, for amounts that were four and five times the prevailing rates, used high pressure tactics citing immediate danger/death if repairs were not made immediately, etc. There was at least one lawsuit as a result.

Many customers were overcharged, sold inferior parts, and could not get service for failed work.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:29 PM

145 posts, read 467,456 times
Thanks guys.

I will surely call them tomorrow.

There is no old opener. I was originally planning to install on my own and then realized that it is not that easy and I don't even have a ladder tall enough.

Do they really charge $500 for just the installation of two openers?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:35 PM

850 posts, read 4,727,403 times
I have a great handyman. He worked in the apartment industry as a maintenance supervisor for many years on high end, luxury properties. I was actually his supervisor at one point, so I can vouch for his experience and professionalism firsthand. I'm sure he'd be able to do that for you at a much better rate than a company.

Allan Gomez
247-2431
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary