Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 06:34 AM

450 posts, read 1,553,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeer View Post
You need to educate yourself about proper lawn care. You are not supposed to water your lawn everyday. 1" once a week. Water deeply and infrequently. If your lawn is dead it is because of some other problem or your general lack of lawn care knowledge. By watering everyday I imagine you have yourself a nice crop of weeds and crabgrass. Learn from your mistakes, buy a book and do things correctly next year.
Thanks for the knowledge. I'm moving to Durham and have never taken care of a lawn in my life (always lived in Condos or in Townhomes where HOAs took care of the grass).

So, water the grass once a week and allow one inch of water to seep through? I can do that!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:48 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
Ummm...I did....everyday. I wasn't enough. It's not worth it at this point.
Someone linked to this NCSU turf calendar a while back - it might be of use to you or others. Just click the above link then click on the "Maint. Calendars" tab, then select your grass.

p.s. sprinkler systems are great.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 AM

519 posts, read 981,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterbeer View Post
You need to educate yourself about proper lawn care. You are not supposed to water your lawn everyday. 1" once a week. Water deeply and infrequently. If your lawn is dead it is because of some other problem or your general lack of lawn care knowledge. By watering everyday I imagine you have yourself a nice crop of weeds and crabgrass. Learn from your mistakes, buy a book and do things correctly next year.
A coworker of mine was discussing that his lawn has become brown because he realized he was watering too much and, in essence, drowned his lawn. He wasn't allowing the water to seep to the roots before watering again.

There are so many different types of grass that he sought out the expertise of a lawn care pro to teach him how to care for his grass properly.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:13 AM

519 posts, read 981,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
Regional Drought Monitor: Southeast (http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/DM_southeast.htm - broken link)

We are not in a drought. We are not even considered in the "Abnormally Dry" stage.

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/exp...on_drought.gif

There is no prediction of a drought.

RDU Rainfall Totals -- Normal vs. Actual :: WRAL.com

RDU is 2.14" below normal YTD.

As usual, your thread titles are misleading. We are not in a drought.
Thanks for the great info! I was looking for this type of statistics but didn't know where to look.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobirdz27 View Post
RDU is 2.14" below normal YTD.
Keep in mind that the airport doesn't reflect everyone's reality. In fact, some of the recent heavy downpours hardly dropped anything at the airport while the folks in parts of SE Raleigh were literally floating away. What I really like about the drought monitors is that they tell you the story from a regional perspective using methods that identify specific issues and drought types. So, while the airport is telling us that we are below for the year, it's not a significant indicator at this time.
In the meantime, we should all enjoy the very low dewpoint and low humidity we are having today in the warm temps under clear blue skies!

Old 06-29-2009, 01:04 PM

525 posts, read 1,297,596 times
We can argue about anything around here..

Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 PM

249 posts, read 691,772 times
How can measure watering 1 inch worth of water? We have a sprinkler system with 5 zones. When we moved in, the previous owners had shrubs, and smaller zones of the yard set to 15 minutes. They had the larger zones set to about 30-35 minutes. Is that too long, too short? The grass is doing okay right now. The grass in the front in a large zone that gets a lot of afternoon sunlight isnt growing much and while its not the normal green of spring, its not brown either.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,305,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
How can measure watering 1 inch worth of water? We have a sprinkler system with 5 zones. When we moved in, the previous owners had shrubs, and smaller zones of the yard set to 15 minutes. They had the larger zones set to about 30-35 minutes. Is that too long, too short? The grass is doing okay right now. The grass in the front in a large zone that gets a lot of afternoon sunlight isnt growing much and while its not the normal green of spring, its not brown either.
How to measure sprinkler precipitation rate (http://www.ncwcd.org/ncwcd_about/pdf/LawnWateringGuide.pdf - broken link)

Another article on the subject

300 posts, read 972,865 times
Put a cup in the middle of the yard and run the sprinkler. When you get 1" of water in the cup that's (approximately) how long you should run your sprinkler.

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
How can measure watering 1 inch worth of water?
Just put a flat can or dish on the ground and measure the water depth after your system has run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary