Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2007, 07:50 PM

238 posts, read 226,700 times

Advertisements

My family and I went down about 5 times in the past two years. Due to job circumstances we weren't able to relocate, yet. Seems the house prices in Cary are going up and up and up, while the prices where I am are stable or even declining.
I was looking for a 5 bedroom home for about $300k. I don't mind if the house is older, as long as it is in decent condition. I would like a decent sized level lot with trees.

Now, it seems I may be priced out of Cary! There are some neighborhoods too that I saw around Maynard that are really "iffy." Where, if anywhere, are the affordable 20 year old split levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,641,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
My family and I went down about 5 times in the past two years. Due to job circumstances we weren't able to relocate, yet. Seems the house prices in Cary are going up and up and up, while the prices where I am are stable or even declining.
I was looking for a 5 bedroom home for about $300k. I don't mind if the house is older, as long as it is in decent condition. I would like a decent sized level lot with trees.

Now, it seems I may be priced out of Cary! There are some neighborhoods too that I saw around Maynard that are really "iffy." Where, if anywhere, are the affordable 20 year old split levels?
Does it have to be Cary? With that budget you can find a great home in other locations.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 6 days ago)

43,083 posts, read 76,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post

FWIW, they quit building split-levels more than 20 years ago. Most are from the 1970's. I know, seems like yesterday to me, too.

Housing prices are being drawn up by new construction prices.

There are tons of older split levels around, but 5 bedrooms are a little scarcer. They still exist, though, and there are a few under $300,000.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:28 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,045,156 times
Most of the older homes in the Cary area built in the 70's are not going to be 5 bedrooms. They just weren't built that way back then. Your best bet is to find an older split level for 200K that you can add on to.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 6 days ago)

43,083 posts, read 76,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Most of the older homes in the Cary area built in the 70's are not going to be 5 bedrooms. They just weren't built that way back then. Your best bet is to find an older split level for 200K that you can add on to.
Right, to some extent.
Split levels are the least desireable home design. It is reasonable to resist investing much money in expanding one, when they tend to be less marketable.
The 5 BR homes I mentioned are not split levels, although one may be a split entry.
There are also a few basement homes with a bedroom down.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:46 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,641,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Right, to some extent.
Split levels are the least desireable home design. It is reasonable to resist investing much money in expanding one, when they tend to be less marketable.
The 5 BR homes I mentioned are not split levels, although one may be a split entry.
There are also a few basement homes with a bedroom down.
It's amazing how that style...that was SO popular, has fallen so far out of favor.

I've been in a few updated one that were quite nice (completely lost that 70s look even with the floor plan) but I don't know how they actually are to live in.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:50 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,045,156 times
Either way, no matter the floor plan, it's going to be few and far between to find a 70's built house with 5 bedrooms in this area unless the owners have converted a basment or added on. I'm just suggesting that if you like the older style neighborhoods, you might try to find one for less than your price range with enough acreage to add on to.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:40 AM

250 posts, read 1,243,651 times
I like using the hpw.com or fmrealty.com sites to do searches on houses. Just put in Cary, min of 5 bedrooms and a price less than 300,000. It returns six house with 5 bedrooms under $300K in Caryr ranging from .24 acre to more than 1 acre; 2,400 sq. ft. to 3,100 sq. ft. and from 2 -3 bathrooms. I think there are affordable options left in Cary, if you look for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary